Rifle Trade- Ruger American

Pitweiler

Guys, need some opinions. I am thinking of selling my Savage M12FV .22-250 B&C Duramaxx stock for around $300 at the Gwinnett show to fund a Ruger American in .243, 7mm-08, or .308.

I have also looked at a Remington 700 SPS, but wasn't super impressed with what you get for the extra $200 more than the American.

The other two hunting rifles I have are a Savage 111 .30-06 and a Marlin 336 .30 WCF. I'm looking for something with recoil comparable to .30WCF with a solid 300 yard range for deer, maybe elk. I am not a huge fan of the .30-06 recoil level, which has led me to explore the .243, .260, 7mm-08, and even the .308 (even though it is basically a .30-06 short).

Now, I say I want to hunt elk with this rifle, but lets keep that in perspective. First, I live in Georgia. Second, I am looking to trade one rifle to buy a $360 rifle so large amounts of extra money for an elk hunt isn't in my immediate future. The main uses are east coast wildlife. If I ever did take it out west, I'd either make it work or take the .30-06.

First, would you make that trade? The .22-250 has sat in the safe since 2008. Second, would you choose the Ruger American?

lonewolf247

IMO, I probably wouldn't do the trade. The Ruger American, although probably acceptable, is a budget rifle.
The Savage M12FV is worth a lot more.

I handled a Ruger American yesterday at Cabelas, and just couldn't help but feel like I was holding a cheap plastic rifle. Don't get me wrong it may shoot great but, I personally didn't like it.

Sell your rifle for more than $300, and put the money towards a better action, is my opinion. Ruger model 77, remington 700, weatherby vanguard series II, winchester model 70, tikka, etc.

Doc_Holliday23

I don't know exactly what your Savage is worth (new they're like $600, right?), but I agree with above. I'd sell it on the marketplace. Price it aggressively and it'll sell quickly and you'll still clear more than enough to buy a new Ruger American or, even better IMO, buy a quality used rifle like a Remington 700, Winchester 70, Ruger 77, Tikka T3, etc.

Pitweiler

I tried to sell the rifle during the frenzy for $450 and failed. The best offer I got was $300. The caliber is the issue. No one wants a 22-250. Sure, the rifle may be worth more, but its a blind magazine 26 inch heavy barrel prairie dog rifle.

I handled the American several times and I was impressed with everything except the stock. Even with the stock, most reviews have it shooting 1-1.5 MOA with factory ammo. That's pretty good for the flimsy plastic stock.

I think a lot of our opinions on rifles and what makes them accurate come from gun rag authors who exaggerate everything because that's their job. Take that American that shoots 1.5 MOA, put it in a McMillan stock, then shoot it off hand, is it still 1.5 MOA? Maybe. Most shooters can't out shoot their equipment. I would love a customized Remmy with all the bells and whistles, but at the end of the day will it do anything better than what a 783, 770, Axis, American, XL7, 100 ATR can, being shot off hand? Probably not. That is why I took my grand rifle build idea and just tossed it out.

I imagine that within the next year a whole bunch of aftermarket will come out for the American. I think it is on track to be a best seller for 2013. The action and magazine are separate so adding bottom metal isn't out of the question.

The American is a nearly fully enclosed action, uses a svelte barrel nut which means easy barrel swaps, can accept aftermarket magazines, and from the looks of it, inletting a stock should be rather straight forward. From all the Americans I've handled, all of them had smoother actions than my 12FV. Not that it means anything, but smooth, enclosed action, 70 degree bolt lift, the marksman trigger is pretty good as well. That makes for a decent rifle.

I hear what you guys are saying. I get it, I was there. Tell me if what I'm saying makes sense so I don't think I'm insane.

Better question is what caliber to get it in. And, is the 100 ATR worth a look?

Last edited:

lonewolf247

7mm-08/.308 would be fine. Didn't mean to sound like I was knocking the american if that's what you want. I thought you could get more out of your trade, and therefore fund a better action.

IMO spending $100 more and buying a weatherby vanguard would be money well spent. Weatherby Vanguards range from about $450-$1400, and all configurations use the same action. Mostly different stock configurations. Awesome rifles.

leoparddog

The 308 does have a bit less recoil than the 30-06, maybe not a lot less but a little. If you're looking for something that will be moderate recoil but elk capable don't forget the 270. With heavy bullets its more than elk ready and with 130gr pills drops deer dead, same. I think the 7-08 and 308 will do the trick as well.

If you get the American and then add a $150 aftermarket stock, you'd be better off investing in a Rem700, Ruger 77 or Vanguard. They'll hold their value better should you decide you want something else. Tarting up a Ruger American won't give it the same value as a basic Ruger 77.

After Christmas and deer season good deals can be found on rifles on the forums. I'd keep an eye out for someone wanting to trade or selling a lightly used Ruger 77, 700 or Vanguard.

Don't forget to ask at gunstores if they have any consignments. The Firing Line in Marietta does them, check pawn shops too in January.

Pitweiler

I know what you mean with the vanguard. My issue with them is that they are a re-branded Howa 1500 made in Japan.

I could get a Remmy, but I honestly don't know if I will even do anything to the rifle. I have a hard time shelling out the extra $$ for the Remmy. I like them, but I'm not sold on them.

I really like the 7-08. I just can't find ammo for it regularly. I can reload, but I want to be able to go to the store and get a box or two.

I don't normally sell my guns so this is the exception for me. If I didn't have to sell the 12 I wouldn't.

I'm leaning toward .243. Anyone have experience with that caliber?

Doc_Holliday23

I love my .243. It kills deer just as dead as any of my other rifles.

I am pretty surprised you have trouble finding 7mm-08. Its gotten to be a very popular caliber.

biggdogg

In the price range you're looking at, I would opt for the Marlin XL7 in .270, and it has an adjustable trigger like the Savages. You could also look for a used Savage 111 for about the same money.

As for the .243, it is more than enough gun for deer and such. I have a Savage and it is a dream to shoot.

And there is no reason you shouldn't get $350-400 for that .22-250. After deer season look for predator hunters not ready to quit hunting. I would take it if I didn't already have a .22-250

Gaswamp

Marlin XL7 gets a nod in most reviews head to head with Ruger American

Flaustin1

I wouldn't sell the savage just to buy a Ruger American. Ive only had dealings with one and I wasn't impressed by the performance at all.

Pitweiler

Can you guys be more specific about why you don't like the American?

Also, what do you all like about the XL7?

as for 7-08. I have no idea why I can't find it. I think that it still hasn't caught on yet and tripped the sensors of the people who own the LGS's. Most of the LGS's around here look at me funny when I ask them if they have any. I tell them what it is and then they ask why I just don't want a .308. (Seems that the .308 has mythical powers. I had an LGS employee try ti tell me that a .308 was more powerful than an '06). I know I can find it, but normally it's the $45-50 a box Federal or Remington premium line when what I'm really looking for is a $19-21 box to go blow at the range practicing.

Pitweiler

Now I'm interested in a Tikka T3. Probably going to sell an upper that is collecting dust.

Armalite A2 HBAR upper. How much ya think? W/bolt- $300? W/out Bolt- $200?

Pitweiler

everything I've read about the Tikka is good other than the normal gripes about the polymer magazine and trigger guard.... whatever the reliability seems to be good