All right you long range experts....

ONLY of the cartridges listed, what would you use for long range white tail hunting?

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • .25-06

Votes: 8 7.2%

Votes: 13 11.7%
  • 7mm-08

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • 7mm Mag

Votes: 36 32.4%

Votes: 10 9.0%
  • .30-06

Votes: 10 9.0%
  • .300 Win Mag

Votes: 29 26.1%

• Total voters

Big M

I take deer ever year past 400 yards.I always use a 300 win mag.I load em up to 3150 fps with a 168gr sbt.:biggrin3:

EON

I went with the 25-06 only because I own one and know the accuracy. Very flat shooting and I've taken many deer with it. I've shot groundhogs up to 350 yrds and know of guys that shoot much further distances.

I also have a 7mm Mag and a 300 Weatherby Mag and would not hesitate to take a 300 yd shot with either.

But the 25-06 is as flat and accurate as they come requiring minimal wind and elevation adjustments.

As with most any calibure, you can load any type round to fit a specific need but pratice makes perfect.

discounthunter

7mm mag,140gr,nosler.seen it drop one at 600 paces.

btw it did have a 6" drop at a slight up hill shot.rifle was resting on a wood pile.

georgiaboy

LJay said:
You been digging in the graveyard haven't you Dub?
But, My long range weapon is a Remington Model 700 Classic chambered in Win. .264 Magnum /w 140 grain bullets. Reach out and touch one!!!!!!

What a classy caliber. You are cool for owning one! ;) :cheers:

orion1mdl

Phil,
I want to make sure I understand the situation.

I take it that these choices are perhaps rifles/calibers that you have access to, and are wondering, in our opinions, which caliber would do the deed effectively out to, say, 600 yrds.

If that is indeed the situation, my opinion is that I would look hard at the 300 win. mag., or the 7mm mag. and pick the one that you can consistantly hit at those ranges with using well built bullets that will expand at those wide range of velocities.

Either caliber offer bullets in the lower to mid weight ranges for fairly flat shooting, and still have more than enough energy for a raking shot through bone at that range.

As a personal choice, I have an older Savage 110 in 7mm mag., and it shoot the Federal 140 gr. Nosler Partitions so well it scares me sometimes!
I bought the last 9 boxes I could find of the same lot because they shoot so well, and I no longer handload for deer sized critters for this rifle.

3 years ago, I killed an antelope at a lasered 473 with this rig, and only held slightly over the bucks back. The only moving done after the shot was the buck dropping straight down, and his hooves twitching after he hit the ground.

I will also say that after puting a Burris 3x10x40 Signature scope with the "ballistic plex" system on this rifle, and figuring out, (and verifying) exact POI for the aiming points, blowing up empty coffee cans filled with water out to 600 yds. feels almost like cheating!

600 + yds is beyond my comfort zone for killing game, (at least for now)unless it was in order to anchor a wounded critter or similar. But there is absolutely no doubt in my mind that the 7mm or the 300 win. mag. and the proper bullets are extremely capable of those ranges, really fairly flat shooting, and have enough extra if needed for deep penetration or blowing through bone if a less than perfect broadside shot is the only shot.

Put you a Limbsaver on either, put in some trigger time out at RBGC, on the 600 yrd range, and get ready to let the big dawg eat!

Just my opinion.

GeauxLSU

Orion,
That is indeed the situtation.
Thanks for the input. I do wish I lived closer to the range... :banginghe

WTM45

.308 Winchester

TONS of load data and trajectory info availible on the .308, so get a good Leupold scope with the correct BDC cams.
Compare the ammo prices between magnum rounds and the .308 if you do not reload! Some .308 loads will stay supersonic to 1000m in barrels as short as 20" but 26" is better to be sure.
The .308 barrel will not shoot out as fast as a magnum considering all the practice a person needs to put in to be consistantly successful in reading winds, distance and developing a rock-steady hold.