Any Experience With These Socks?

gaspur1

Use Smart Wool socks available at Academy Sporting Goods. There are different socks for every occasion. I like the Hiking socks. Wear them year round.

hdgapeach

I usually go to a little more trouble than most to keep my feet warm (chronic foot issues). For a long hike to the stand, I wear regular ankle socks and tennis shoes (dedicated for huntin'). When I get in the stand and my feet start to chill, I change everything to my wool huntin' socks and insulated boots. The tenny's and cotton socks go in the zip lock bag and into the back pack till I get back to the truck. Since I started doing that, I never have problems with my feet getting cold (and achy).

One pair of wool sock and don't lace the boots up too snug. Tight laces reduces the blood flow if you're just sitting on stand. Wiggle room in the boot is important! Forgot to mention, I make sure and dry my feet with the cotton socks before I put on the wools.

I pretty much do the same with layers of clothing. I try to walk in with as little on as possible. Then as I start cooling down, I'll add layers. Cuts down on the sweat while going in surprisingly well. The additional layers are kept in the bag on my back.

Totin' a load? You bet! And worth it for me, especially when sitting on stand from sun up to sun down.

NorthGaHunter

I walk a lot most of the time. I wear the Danner 16" Canadians (600 gr thinsulate). For socks it is a thin polypropolene liner, a very thin pair of nylon socks (Ugly multi colored/striped green socks I ordered off the NWTF website about 8 years ago which I think Jody Hawk may have mentioned on this forum), a thick pair of merino wool socks. This is all I ever wear and sometimes my feel get a little cool but hardly ever that painful numbness I had 20+ years ago. Big key is not to have your boot too tight/snug where your feet / toes can't move. If walking in mountainous terrain, your boot must be tightened normally so you don't wear blisters.

Hunting 4 Him

I use "darn tough socks" you can find them on amazon for around$18 a pair. They are well worth the price.

X2 best socks made. That's all I wear year around. Pricey but have a lifetime warranty. Wear a light pair to the stand and put a heavier boot sock on when you get there. I rarely hunt in insulated boots but then again I don't usually have a problem with cold feet.

1776Flintlock

I found if your boots are too tight the socks won't help. I get at least a size larger boot for my feet and some thick Cabelas socks. Foot restriction causes more cold feet. Since I switched to bigger boots with good socks I can withstand cold well. For extreme cold I get those disposable foot warmers similar to the company that makes the hand warmers. They don't last long and can slip in the boot but good enough for a 1/2day hunt and out in new ones if you go out for the 2nd half of the day

Latest posts