ATF times?

FlipKing

I have shot suppressed and understand all about it.

Since I am prior military and prior FFL holder you are correct I am on way to many list.

I'm just not about paying for something else the American Gestopo wants to control.
Well think of it this way, the cost of a tax stamp has gone way down. It's the equivalent of almost 6k when it was enacted.

But other wise, you do you. I'm going to enjoy hunting with my kids and not having to worry about hearing protection.

chase870

Possum Sox
I'm going on a year; ATF lady said my application was getting extra review. The only thing I can figure is I am wearing a Trump 2020 T shirt in my mug shot on the application. I might go find a Biden T shirt and buy another suppressor and see if I can get an approval in 10 days or less. It's a joke that they want to do additional background on me, I have 3 suppressors already, I'm fingerprinted and have a complete criminal history run at least twice a year, and have for many years due to my job, qualified for and ran two State level races for the Senate and the House, several professional licenses, Ga weapons license, and a DD214. That said it is total ** to treat me this way

Last edited:

transfixer

I follow the VSO gun channel on YT, he's a FFL and holds a manufacturer's FFL as well, according to him new approvals in the last couple of months have been unusually fast, some in hours even, most in a week or two, apparently they've streamlined the E-file, if no additional review is needed they are going through very fast, if that continues for the next few months I'll probably go ahead and pull the trigger on one myself

sleepr71

Additional red tape & $$$$ to buy a gun muffler. I can’t bring myself to do it..just an outright money grab by the gov’t…:(

rosewood

Additional red tape & $$$$ to buy a gun muffler. I can’t bring myself to do it..just an outright money grab by the gov’t…:(
The funny thing is, the $200 tax stamp was required way back in 1934. $200 in 1934 is approx $3600 today. So it is significantly cheaper now to buy a suppressor than it was when the law was enacted. Glad they haven't increased the tax with inflation.

However, the tax stamp seems to keep the cost of suppressors artificially high. You could buy the "solvent traps" for less than $100. I bet if the tax stamp was removed and the special NFA licenses was removed, you would be able to get suppressors for under $100 regularly. I can go along with a background check, but special permission and tax needs to be overturned.

Rosewood

Jester896

Senior Clown
I bet if the tax stamp was removed and the special NFA licenses was removed, you would be able to get suppressors for under $100 regularly. overturned.

Rosewood
I think it would be closer to $200 as an average price. It may depend on the amount of machining that was necessary to make removable caps on both ends to make it easier to clean and so forth.

transfixer

I think it would be closer to $200 as an average price. It may depend on the amount of machining that was necessary to make removable caps on both ends to make it easier to clean and so forth.

I don't see them being $100-$200 on average at any point, the metals used for some of the higher end ones are pricey and not easy to work with, a plain stainless one might be that cheap, with non removeable end caps, Witt machine already sells some that are very affordable, but the ones with removeable ends , that will work on multiple calibers are likely to still be up in the $500 or so range always, threading, and making removeable changeable ends is going to add to the price .

I've always been one to believe it wasn't worth the hassle of dealing with the AFT just to buy one, but now they have become popular enough that I'm willing to go ahead and pull the trigger on one , maybe more, if the times stay relatively short.

rosewood

Maybe the higher end ones, but no doubt those sold as solvent traps were coming in under $100 before the ATF declared them "suppressor parts". So someone was making them cheaper. Not to mention making your own would be a much easier option.

A less expensive one that won't last as long is much more desirable when you don't have to pay an extra $200. I have considered some of the $250 Al ones that are out there, but with an additional $200 on top of that, I would spring for one that would last a lifetime.

For that matter, you can make one out of an oil filter, but when you have to register it and pay $200 extra, it is hard to spend that kind of money on something that may only last a few shots.

Rosewood

transfixer

Maybe the higher end ones, but no doubt those sold as solvent traps were coming in under $100 before the ATF declared them "suppressor parts". So someone was making them cheaper. Not to mention making your own would be a much easier option.

A less expensive one that won't last as long is much more desirable when you don't have to pay an extra $200. I have considered some of the $250 Al ones that are out there, but with an additional $200 on top of that, I would spring for one that would last a lifetime.

For that matter, you can make one out of an oil filter, but when you have to register it and pay $200 extra, it is hard to spend that kind of money on something that may only last a few shots.

Rosewood

As far as I've seen , all those " solvent traps" are made out of aluminum, and they won't stand up to much more than 22lr, at least not for many shots, and their muffling ability usually leaves a bit to be desired,

FlipKing

I understand all the government overreach concern, but once you shoot supressed, you'll feel uncultured shooting unsupressed. It's a night and day difference. Also makes shooting way easier for kids. This wma doe, and 2 other good bucks taken by my kids this year. My 7 year old missed a 5 or 6 yr old buck, and it came back 5 minutes later. He didn't miss a second time.

1000004158.jpg

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
My ears are ringing now and always. Shot so much in my life growing up. We knew nothing about ear muffs. I make everyone use them now. This new era of suppressed will save many.

fauxferret

Yes they make shotgun suppressors. Not sure how they perform but know they have them at silencer central.
I have shot a 1301 with the Silencerco Salvo 12. Depending on the configuration it can be very quiet to sounding like a 22LR unsuppressed. Longest configuration running low recoil buckshot or slug 1080~FPS sounds like someone loudly clapping.

rosewood

Just saw an Efile go through our shop 10 days from submission to stamp issue
Wow, that gets me 1 step closer to pulling the trigger. I might just raise my hand to the ATF and say, "here I am". :)