Bitin' bug names

Hillbilly stalker

I used to hate it when we working in the garden and one of them stinking corn worms would get ya. We nicknamed them 1000 leggers, they stung you every step and it itched. If you scratched it ….it stung even more mixed with sweat..

My cousin got nailed by one of them big brown , pin striped acrossed the back, hard shell centipedes you see on rotten logs. His arm swoll up almost as big as a leg.

hopper

I went hiking at wildcat creek north ga a yr or so ago. Think it was in spring. These black flies kept flying around my head. I gotta shaved head and left my hat behind. The next day I had little incisions all over my dome. I read these things have kinda scissor mouths, they slice you then lick the blood. Can't remember the name of those devil flies. Anyone know?

Toliver

I got a name for em, just can’t say it here.:waggingfinger:
That's exactly where I am right now with these south Georgia gnats. They ain't biting but they're sure making me want to say bad words. Ok, I have said A LOT of bad words already but I want to say more. My arms are tired from swatting at them. I've noticed the locals don't pay them no mind. So either y'all are strong willed enough to ignore these things or you've just given up on fighting them and resigned to a life of bugs in your eyes and nose and mouth and ears.

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
Everybody has head of no-seeums (sand gnats).

Who knows what a red bug is?
All the other states got wildfires, floods, earthquakes, tsunamis, volcanoes, blizzards, hurricanes, and tornados.

Georgia got last pick.

Hillbilly stalker

We had a guy get bit by one in Army basic. He ended up with a big crater in his forehead! :eek:
I had never heard of then when I first moved to Sc. There are so abundant here that they even teach you about them in the Academy. They are commonly called “ brown fiddler” slang for brown recluse. I’ve seen some serious damage on people who sleep in old abandoned house and got tore up by them. One fellow I remember had multiple bites. He had a crater in his head that looked like someone took an ice cream scoop to it.

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
I had never heard of then when I first moved to Sc. There are so abundant here that they even teach you about them in the Academy. They are commonly called “ brown fiddler” slang for brown recluse. I’ve seen some serious damage on people who sleep in old abandoned house and got tore up by them. One fellow I remember had multiple bites. He had a crater in his head that looked like someone took an ice cream scoop to it.
I read in a book on arachnology years back that there were generally over 10,000 fiddle back / brown recluse spiders in every brand new house in the south before anyone even moves in and over 1,000,000 in every one over 10 years old. I was taught to call them "funnel web" spiders due to the shape of their webs.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
That's exactly where I am right now with these south Georgia gnats. They ain't biting but they're sure making me want to say bad words. Ok, I have said A LOT of bad words already but I want to say more. My arms are tired from swatting at them. I've noticed the locals don't pay them no mind. So either y'all are strong willed enough to ignore these things or you've just given up on fighting them and resigned to a life of bugs in your eyes and nose and mouth and ears.

You get used to em.

notnksnemor

The Great and Powerful Oz
I read in a book on arachnology years back that there were generally over 10,000 fiddle back / brown recluse spiders in every brand new house in the south before anyone even moves in and over 1,000,000 in every one over 10 years old. I was taught to call them "funnel web" spiders due to the shape of their webs.
Their favorite place is in the closet, in clothes that very seldom get worn.
A lot of people get bit trying on clothes that have been in the closet a while.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I know four people who have been bitten by fiddlebacks. They all carry the scar from the bite. That`s one nasty spider. They stand their ground too.

notnksnemor

The Great and Powerful Oz
If you have fiddlebacks in your house they will eventually show up in the bathtub.
If you find them in the bathtub, they're everywhere.

Core Lokt

I went hiking at wildcat creek north ga a yr or so ago. Think it was in spring. These black flies kept flying around my head. I gotta shaved head and left my hat behind. The next day I had little incisions all over my dome. I read these things have kinda scissor mouths, they slice you then lick the blood. Can't remember the name of those devil flies. Anyone know?
Horse, yeller, deer, black flies all cut you. They don't sting like a skeeter. And it seems they are cutting prior to landing good.....

hopper

Horse, yeller, deer, black flies all cut you. They don't sting like a skeeter. And it seems they are cutting prior to landing good.....
Deer Fly rings a bell know. Those suckers messed my head up. We were about an hr in to the hike when they showed up and I had about an hr to go. I raley leave without a hat but just forgot that day. My head looked pretty grousom for over week.