Bone Knife???

Northwestretriever

I posted this in the primitive section, but wanted to see if anyone makes bone knives?

I wanted to see if some folks could give me some advice on making one. I have already removed and started drying the sinew. I also removed the bone from the deer. How long do you boil the bone to remove the marrow and what is the fastest way to dry out the sinew? Could y'all post some pictures of finished knives? I'm totally new to the process and wanted to get some ideas.

Thanks so much!

Northwestretriever

I guess I posted this in the wrong area?

T-N-T

Maybe no one knows? :huh:

Jeff C.

Chief Grass Master
Give it time, you'll get someone eventually. Most of these folks stay pretty busy, I believe.

Anvil Head

Only did a few back when I was in buckskinn' mode in the late '60s.
Never boiled the bones, just composted over the winter, busted them up with rock or hammer and selected the best knifelike chunks. Didn't dry the sinew either, just wrapped in plastic (no ziplocs back then) and kept in freezer until needed. Made up pitch glue from pitch pockets collected in the woods, added ground dried deer droppings, melted and mixed. Glued the shank of the bone blade into the handle and raw wrapped the sinew in to the still soft pitch glue. Rewarmed the wrapping carefully with a fat flamed candle and worked the sinew and pitch by hand when cool but not hard. Little "dust of the doe" on the hands to keep from sticking (like working with bread dough). The sinew will shrink up and tighten as it cools and drys out.
Kind of how I got into knifemaking in the first place. Sold everyone I made at the "Voos" and Skinner's Balls.
The steel bladed ones were easier to make and the demand great but the money was "light", ergo stuck with steel.
Brought back some memories though, many thanks.

Northwestretriever

Only did a few back when I was in buckskinn' mode in the late '60s.
Never boiled the bones, just composted over the winter, busted them up with rock or hammer and selected the best knifelike chunks. Didn't dry the sinew either, just wrapped in plastic (no ziplocs back then) and kept in freezer until needed. Made up pitch glue from pitch pockets collected in the woods, added ground dried deer droppings, melted and mixed. Glued the shank of the bone blade into the handle and raw wrapped the sinew in to the still soft pitch glue. Rewarmed the wrapping carefully with a fat flamed candle and worked the sinew and pitch by hand when cool but not hard. Little "dust of the doe" on the hands to keep from sticking (like working with bread dough). The sinew will shrink up and tighten as it cools and drys out.
Kind of how I got into knifemaking in the first place. Sold everyone I made at the "Voos" and Skinner's Balls.
The steel bladed ones were easier to make and the demand great but the money was "light", ergo stuck with steel.
Brought back some memories though, many thanks.

Thanks so much for the info Anvil! :cool: How'd did you sharpen the bone to get a micro bevel on it? Also, did you find that adding the deer droppings helped with the strength of the pitch glue? I've heard that you don't really need it?

T-N-T

Thanks so much for the info Anvil! :cool: How'd did you sharpen the bone to get a micro bevel on it? Also, did you find that adding the deer droppings helped with the strength of the pitch glue? I've heard that you don't really need it?

Anytime you can work dropping into something with your hands, you should. :bounce:

Anvil Head

Key word dry deer droppings. The fiber helps bind the pitch and reduce tackiness. I've heard some said use crushed fine brick dust, but pretty sure not much of that material was readily available when man relied on bone knives.
Simple to find out if you want to use it or not try it both ways, you'll understand soon enough. Early man did this for a very long time for good reason.
Smooth flat river rock for sharpening. To do primitive correctly you have to think primitive.

Gobbler Down

I guess you could right near make one o them Sam Rye sords with moose nuggets!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    47.4 KB · Views: 379

Anvil Head

Mighty big wabbit!
Moose berry stew maybe.....

Ever see a moose in a zoo? (just asking)

Northwestretriever

Been working on it for a while, but it's slowly taking shape. Everything so far with no modern tools.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 209