Coyotes

bany

Hope your son is over the scare, and you too. Wish he could have gotten shots off. Hope he wants to get right back at it! My first thought was a carcass or gut pile close by. I’ve been growled at before.

Rich M

If your boy isn't over it - maybe you need some hair of the dog and get him to shoot a few, see how small they are and get a little more confidence. He probably never thought of using the gun/bow hanging over his shoulder.

Ruger15

Makes me wonder if they may have been wild dogs. Ive never had a yote come to me like that but I have been treed by a few wild dogs in the past. Them jokers just arent very pleasant.

Browning Slayer

Official Voice Of The Dawgs !
Makes me wonder if they may have been wild dogs. Ive never had a yote come to me like that but I have been treed by a few wild dogs in the past. Them jokers just arent very pleasant.
^this^...

RipperIII

If your boy isn't over it - maybe you need some hair of the dog and get him to shoot a few, see how small they are and get a little more confidence. He probably never thought of using the gun/bow hanging over his shoulder.

I've encountered some pretty large yotes before, a few about the size of a medium sized lab although thinner. I've heard some say there is a cross breed called coy dogs which get larger and have less fear of humans, I don't know if that is fact, or fiction...but I have seen some bigger yotes.

Rich M

We used to call em coydogs when we saw big ones when I was growing up. Google says 45# is about as big as the yotes get. Not chihuahua tiny but not a rottie either.

The whole having a rifle idea seems to reduce the size of the aggressive animal by a bit. Too bad the kid didn't think to just shoot one or at least let a round rip in their general direction and listen to them scurry away with ringing ears.

Nothing to fear in the woods around here.

RipperIII

We used to call em coydogs when we saw big ones when I was growing up. Google says 45# is about as big as the yotes get. Not chihuahua tiny but not a rottie either.

The whole having a rifle idea seems to reduce the size of the aggressive animal by a bit. Too bad the kid didn't think to just shoot one or at least let a round rip in their general direction and listen to them scurry away with ringing ears.

Nothing to fear in the woods around here.

I carry a pistol because in the dark a scoped rifle is too awkward

Dbender

No disrespect but it sounds like your son isn't comfortable enough to hunt by himself yet. Shooting down a roadway in the dark at shadowy figures is terrible advice. Coyotes aren't a threat to your son, I'd be more concerned with twisting an ankle than a coyote attacking me.

Para Bellum

Mouth For War
I've had coyotes circle me in short pines a couple of times but the minute they saw or smelled me they high tailed it outta there. I've had wild dogs run me up trees several times. I've killed quite a few wild dogs over the years while working.