End of an Era.

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
It all started in 1990 when my other travel smoker got run over by a idiot one night at deer camp and I had to replace it with another just like it for $125.00 (wish I had bought a dozen of them and just stored them as they no longer make this one). It's smoked thousands of pounds of pork and traveled as many miles from the Keys to Carolinas..from the shores of the Atlantic to the Rio bringing joy to taste buds along the way. After all those years and miles I decided that yesterday would it's last as it was on it's last leg.. literally.. 2 of the 3 legs fell off as I took it out of it's travel bag.
3.JPG
4.JPG
I went with my old and trusted pork butt recipe.. soaked over night in cola, vinegar, lemon juice, and just a touch of Dales. Rubbed down in yellow mustard, then "sprinkled" with a spice blend of my own and topped with pineapple slices.

5.JPG

7.JPG
3 rounds of hickory chips.

10.JPG

Then ready to wrap and finish.

11.JPG
A few hours later and it's fall off the bone tender.

14.JPG

A pan full of history and goodness That the folks that made it to the mountain gathering at Suches a few years back will remember (@Crakajak, @dwhee87, @JustUs4All, @tr21, @Uncle Eddie, plus a few others).

15.JPG

The 1st of the last.

17.JPG

Gonna miss my old friend and travel companion.

Last edited:

little rascal

Looks like it’s time to go smoker shopping. If I was down there i’d give you one!
Funny u did a butt today. I thought of your Mom today. You’ll see in my post!

Tight Lines

And a friend has this one at his lake house...

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
Leaning towards this:

View attachment 1251984

Not as portable as "Ole Rusty", but I don't travel like I used to either.
I have two. The older was never a problem.

New one - the water pan is not that deep. If it has any type grease dripping in the water pan……it’ll boil over and flame up on you if you’re not careful. After an ER visit I’ve learned to cut mine off (no flame) before adding water to the pan during cooking.

Other than that - it’ll flat cook some meats. I do use a wood chip box in mine, too.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
I thoroughly enjoyed the one meeting I had with "Old Rusty" and join with the multitude in mourning his demise.

That Masterbuilt should slide right in the back of a van. LOL

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
It all started in 1990 when my other travel smoker got run over by a idiot one night at deer camp and I had to replace it with another just like it for $125.00 (wish I had bought a dozen of them and just stored them as they no longer make this one). It's smoked thousands of pounds of pork and traveled as many miles from the Keys to Carolinas..from the shores of the Atlantic to the Rio bringing joy to taste buds along the way. After all those years and miles I decided that yesterday would it's last as it was on it's last leg.. literally.. 2 of the 3 legs fell off as I took it out of it's travel bag.
View attachment 1251956
View attachment 1251957
I went with my old and trusted pork butt recipe.. soaked over night in cola, vinegar, lemon juice, and just a touch of Dales. Rubbed down in yellow mustard, then "sprinkled" with a spice blend of my own and topped with pineapple slices.

View attachment 1251958

View attachment 1251959
3 rounds of hickory chips.

View attachment 1251960

Then ready to wrap and finish.

View attachment 1251962
A few hours later and it's fall off the bone tender.

View attachment 1251963

A pan full of history and goodness That the folks that made it to the mountain gathering at Suches a few years back will remember (@Crakajak, @dwhee87, @JustUs4All, @tr21, @Uncle Eddie, plus a few others).

View attachment 1251964

The 1st of the last.

View attachment 1251965

Gonna miss my old friend and travel companion.

Taps? Burial at sea with full military honors? 21 gun salute? If not, why not? :bounce:

dwhee87

GON Political Forum Scientific Studies Poster
That thing turned out some good smoked butt. It served you well. Time to move on to the next chapter of your journey....

1694103700397.png

TJay

I have the charcoal version of your old smoker and mine is on it's last legs too. Lots and lots of good protein cooked on that rascal all over the south. Good luck on finding a suitable replacement!

Attachments

• IMG_2375.JPG
    IMG_2375.JPG
    241.1 KB · Views: 7

dwhee87

GON Political Forum Scientific Studies Poster
I have the charcoal version of your old smoker and mine is on it's last legs too. Lots and lots of good protein cooked on that rascal all over the south. Good luck on finding a suitable replacement!
that is what I started my journey into smoking with....served me well for the first few years.