Fishing Spots in Oconee, Hartwell and Russell?

Mayberry

Just bought my first boat and I'm taking my two boys , 8 and 5, out fishing with me. We will be in Oconee and Hartwell most often, and I'm looking for good places to take them fishing. In Oconee, anywhere south of the I-20 bridge will work. I just have a center console bay boat with a t top, so it won't clear the extremely low bridges on Oconee. In Hartwell, we are putting in on the south side of the lake, around Hartwell Marina and Gum Branch Mega Ramp, both down near the dam. Not opposed to running 30 minutes up the lake to find good fishing, though. I know people don't want to give up their honey holes. I'm trying to find a place to teach my boys to fish. I've fished ponds most of my life, and these large lakes require a little more local knowledge. Any suggestions you have area appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited:

Fullnet2

When you take the boys fishing ,they
Will enjoy it much more if you actually catch fish.
The best way to do this is to hire a guide 3 or 4 times .
Yes, I know it's an additional cost but will be well worth it
in the long run.

Arrow3

Great to see you getting your boys out on the water. Whenever you're heading to Russell, shoot me a pm and I'll tell you some spots to take them.

GThunter5

Gon magazine is a good resource for some starter spots and areas you can replicate

Navionics is your friend

Mayberry

Thanks. I put a Lowrance HDS 12 Gen 3 with Totalscan on the boat. I just had eye surgery and need readers for anything up close. So, I spent the extra money on a large screen to make it easier for me to see. Now, I'm just trying to figure out how to use it.

Mayberry

Just because of proximity, I'll be on Oconee more often than anywhere else. It's really easy to leave the office early and go for a few hours in the evening. I plan to go along on Wednesday night, tinker with the boat and try to find some spots to fish while I'm there. I plan to hit the coves and fingers off the main lake to find more shallow and calm water. But, I'm just shooting in the dark until I run across a few spots.

Coenen

If you want to catch fish on Oconee, and learn how to really make that Lowrance Unit sing, call up Al Bassett and book a trip. I fished with him a while back, and was really impressed. Good guy, good fisherman, and a TON of knowledge about the lake and the area.

http://www.oconeeal.com/