Ford Maverick Truck

Oldstick

That 2K lb towing mentioned in the OP, would be my main concern with something being marketed for use as a truck. That probably translates into the real world as a comfortable and reliable (i.e. reliable for the tranny and brakes) maximum of maybe a 1000 lb total trailer weight the way they misleadingly calculate the published towing specs.

Oldstick

I thought a Ford maverick was a sedan...
Yes, those were the days. I also remember the Mercury Bobcat, Ford Elite and other similar cars. Right before the introduction of the famous "Mustang II". :LOL:

Gbr5pb

If China Joe gets gas back to $5 a gallon that might be what I’m driving! Laugh if you want! Back in the early 80s me and a buddy hunting on cohutta guy came in driving a MG. We had a chuckle until after dark the MG came out with one tied to luggage rack that was making the bumper drag! The laughing stopped

Last edited:

jdgator

That 2K lb towing mentioned in the OP, would be my main concern with something being marketed for use as a truck. That probably translates into the real world as a comfortable and reliable (i.e. reliable for the tranny and brakes) maximum of maybe a 1000 lb total trailer weight the way they misleadingly calculate the published towing specs.

I agree with your estimates.

I would say that if you intend to pull more than a johnboat or 4wheeler trailer than this is not the choice for you.

Oldstick

I agree with your estimates.

I would say that if you intend to pull more than a johnboat or 4wheeler trailer than this is not the choice for you.
Yep and I must confess that I learned that lesson from extensive past experiences over the years. Had multiple vehicles, including a mini-van from Ford plus the Taurus "station wagon" version. Both had similar published specs of 2K for towing. Blindly I thought OK fine, just throw on a class I hitch and tow a 1400 lb (dry weight) pop up camper all over the place including up into the North GA mountain slopes. With extra cargo in the camper plus the family and extra cargo inside the vehicle. Neither one of those transmissions lasted to the 100K mile mark.

Oldstick

The Mercury Comet was the Mercury upscale version of the Ford Maverick sedan.
I think you are correct on the name. Not sure where I remembered the name Bobcat from. Maybe I was confused on the Thunderbird/Cougar cousins. Senior-itus with the memory showing up. :)

sinclair1

I think you are correct on the name. Not sure where I remembered the name Bobcat from. Maybe I was confused on the Thunderbird/Cougar cousins. Senior-itus with the memory showing up. :)
Was bobcat pinto based? Seems like the bobcat was mercurys pinto.

Oldstick

Was bobcat pinto based? Seems like the bobcat was mercurys pinto.
I think you might be correct Sinclair. I thought sure I remembered the name Mercury Bobcat from back then.

All trying to compete with the tidal wave of smaller sized imports from Japan and other countries in the 1970s.

I do remember some of the first "compact pick-up trucks" Ford and Chevy introduced. The Ford Courier (I think made by Mazda?) and the Chevy LUV (I think made by Isuzu?). Then later the Ford Ranger (also Mazda?).

sinclair1

I think you might be correct Sinclair. I thought sure I remembered the name Mercury Bobcat from back then.

All trying to compete with the tidal wave of smaller sized imports from Japan and other countries in the 1970s.

I do remember some of the first "compact pick-up trucks" Ford and Chevy introduced. The Ford Courier (I think made by Mazda?) and the Chevy LUV (I think made by Isuzu?). Then later the Ford Ranger (also Mazda?).
I would love to build a smallblock LUV with narrowed rearend etc. I had forgotten about the courier.

slow motion

Had a Chevy Luv back in the day. Homemade lift kit with 1050 tires. Very dependable engine and 4 speed but very underpowered.

Geffellz18

I would love to build a smallblock LUV with narrowed rearend etc. I had forgotten about the courier.
My very first truck was a 1986 Isuzu Pup-Same truck as the LUV.
Great little truck.

Probably my two funnest memories with that thing was
1-took it to a mud bog. My Pup was lowered 5/6”. Was spectating, of course! Got there early and pulled around to where we were told to go as they were filling in the lot. As others were pulling in-mostly lifted trucks, several running 44” boggers created some serious ruts and an all around slippery predicament for me! We gave her hades getting through those ruts, and actually made it through! Those big boy toy owners were going crazy watching me tear through their mess, lol!
2-took a ride up to the hunting lease with it. Yep, still lowered! Coming around a 90 degree corner, I started playing-fish tailing when I lost control and slid into the ditch, which was soggy as all get out. Thought for sure I was stuck, but a little rocking back & forth and “professional” throttle finessing and I was back in business.
I couldn’t imagine what that thing would do if it wasn’t lower than a compact car, with 4wd, let alone a small block!

Last edited:

Oldstick

I had a PUP also, I think is was a 1990 or 91. 4 Cylinder 2WD with manual transmission, manual roll up windows and custom extra wide wheels and tires from the original Isuzu dealer. Bought used around 1995 with low mileage and drove it to work for many years. Then the driver side window button broke so I had to brace it up with a stick inside door panel until I could fix it.

Drove to work every day at the AF Base until one day I got one of the stricter female gate guards with a German accent, widely known as "Broom Hilda". Opened my door to show the ID, then she asked "Vy did you open Ze door instead of Ze window???."

So I fixed the window pretty soon after that.