Got my Encore back!

DaddyPaul

I got it back yesterday but didn't get to the range until today. Here is the report: .25-06 24" standard taper barrel, not worthy of being used as a boat anchor. I have literally spent about $80 in ammo trying to find something it will eat with no luck. 4" groups are as good as I can do at 100 yards. Fox Ridge 26" heavy taper .270 barrel is MONEY. Back to back 1/2" groups at 100 yards with Rem. 130 PSPCL's. I reckon the recrowning didn't help the .25-06 barrel even though they told me they fired a 1" group with it at the factory? I was beginning to think I could no longer shoot a rifle, but with back to back 1/2" groups with my other barrel I have to say it is the barrel. BTW this is using the same scope on both barrels. I have eliminated everything but the barrel so it is headed back to New Hampshire in the morning for another going over. At least this time I can hunt with my Encore and .270 barrel. The bigger firing pin bushing really tightened things up in the action.

stumpman

Banned
are the bases on the other barrel maybee loose or have apiece of trash or something under them causeing them to not hold a zero just a thought.

DaddyPaul

Nossir, the bases are by Warne and have the Torx head screws and are as tight as I can get them without fear of breaking them off in the barrel. I have even taken the scope off the barrel and re-checked the bases......................twice! 2 different Nikon scopes and I got the same results.......very erratic groups that seem to walk in straight lines. Sometimes the lines are vertical and sometimes diagonal? They said the crown was bad and re-crowned it at the factory. They also said it shot 1" groups for them with my base on the barrel and their scope. With one of the scopes I mentioned I tried I fired the .5 MOA groups off another barrel. I can only find blame in the barrel at this point?

Michael Lee

With my stainless TC barrel in a 7mm-.08 I am shooting 1/2 inch groups at 100 yards with a TC scope on it. Using Winchester Silver Ballisic tips in 140 grain.

I do believe it's your barrel. Andy is having a similar problem, but his is the frame I am sure. TC has his right now.

ML

DaddyPaul

Mine was diagnosed as the frame at first, and it was bad, but to compound things the .25-06 barrel was bad as well. Like I said at least I have my heavy .270 barrel back and it is shooting just fine. The Worth county bucks better get somewhere this weekend, I have been dying to get in the woods with my baby for 3 weekends now!

Michael Lee

10-4 bud, Andy has shot several different barrels on his, and all with the same results. The same barrels shoot great on other frames.

Get em son!

ML