Great guides on area lakes?

OldGuyAl

I have only been with a guide a few times. The first time was awful but all the others have been good.

My question: how do you tip a guide? what's a reasonable amount or percentage to tip for a good trip?

I don't want to be a cheapskate but, it's hard enough for me just to be able to afford a guide so, I need to know what the "real" cost is going to be.

I'd love to hear from you guides out there.

olcowman

Hillbilly Philosopher
Shane Watson is ultimate guide on Lanier

I went with Shane Watson on Lanier back about 1994 or so, and honestly I was a little skeptical when I met him that morning. He looked liked he wasn't even old enough to shave! But, hands down he was the most patient, knowledgeble, hardest working guide I have ever fished with!

He didn't just take you to a spot and let you catch em, he stood beside you and told you why the fish we here, where they would be later, and if you needed it...would actually grab you by the wrists to let you fully understand the subtle little actions that trigger strikes on weightless trick worms or what the walking the dog technique everyone was writing about at the time was all about!

I am not kidding when I tell people that I started the morning out as an eager, really avid GON/Infisherman reader and TV fishing show junkie, with a new $14K Tracker boat and about half that much again in some real shiny tackle and rods, who had to sneak crickets on board for my fishing excursions just so I could catch me a brim or two and not get totally skunked.

Well after a really full day with Shane, followed up by a couple of solo trips myself armed with my new knowledge...well heck, I got purty dang cocky. Started hanging out at Hammond's myself dropping some of my own hints on just what the latest hot lure or worm color was, ( I look back and guarantee you them ol boys laughed their hind ends off every time I walked out the door, cause seriously, I thought I was the next "Bill Dance" there for a while) I even bought me a gold membership to BASS, started wearing Zoom tee-shirts, flip up fish shades and pants with zip off legs, was trying to figuring out how many tournaments a year I needed to win to live high on the hog, so to speak. Would pull up to marina sales lots and spend hours studying just which manufacturer's rig was more my style and would ultimately "let" sponsor me on the trail when that time come.

My wife thought I was going crazy, and a bunch of my friends kinda quit coming around cause all I talked about was thermoclines, surface temperatures, and the mating habits of fish. I did save some money on gas and had a heap more room in my boat as I throwed away about 90% of the junk I was normally hauling to fish with, and didn't buy not nary one cricket for nearly two years. Matter of fact, got real good at acting uppitty and looking down my nose when in the presence of one of them 'poor, unpleasant live bait type of people" just made me sick to see 'em toting their little minner buckets and boxes of nightcrawlers. Oh the pity of the uniniated, those that no not the science of the finesse worm or whom have lived in the darkness and been denied the enlightment of the rattle-trap.

Well I embelished, maybe a little. But straight up, I went from just being lucky to get to see someone else near me on Lanier catch a bass, then suddenly to scooting around and catching 10 or 20 of my own like it wasn't nothing. That trip with Shane sure boosted my confidence and to this day I still rely on alot of the things he taught me that day and a few further tips he throwed at me over the next couple of years when we wold bump into each other or I would ring him up when I hit a slow spell!

If he still does it like he used to, they aint no better, and it's about time for me get another lesson now that I think about it. I'm a little older and more seasoned now, so maybe it want drive me bass crazy like that first trip and make me start hiring folks to produce and film my own fishing shows or go out buy anymore of them zip-legged britches.

Hope to see Lanier and Shane soon!

Last edited:

freebird

I went with Shane Watson on Lanier back about 1994 or so, and honestly I was a little skeptical when I met him that morning. He looked liked he wasn't even old enough to shave! But, hands down he was the most patient, knowledgeble, hardest working guide I have ever fished with!

He didn't just take you to a spot and let you catch em, he stood beside you and told you why the fish we here, where they would be later, and if you needed it...would actually grab you by the wrists to let you fully understand the subtle little actions that trigger strikes on weightless trick worms or what the walking the dog technique everyone was writing about at the time was all about!

I am not kidding when I tell people that I started the morning out as an eager, really avid GON/Infisherman reader and TV fishing show junkie, with a new $14K Tracker boat and about half that much again in some real shiny tackle and rods, who had to sneak crickets on board for my fishing excursions just so I could catch me a brim or two and not get totally skunked.

Well after a really full day with Shane, followed up by a couple of solo trips myself armed with my new knowledge...well heck, I got purty dang cocky. Started hanging out at Hammond's myself dropping some of my own hints on just what the latest hot lure or worm color was, ( I look back and guarantee you them ol boys laughed their hind ends off every time I walked out the door, cause seriously, I thought I was the next "Bill Dance" there for a while) I even bought me a gold membership to BASS, started wearing Zoom tee-shirts, flip up fish shades and pants with zip off legs, was trying to figuring out how many tournaments a year I needed to win to live high on the hog, so to speak. Would pull up to marina sales lots and spend hours studying just which manufacturer's rig was more my style and would ultimately "let" sponsor me on the trail when that time come.

My wife thought I was going crazy, and a bunch of my friends kinda quit coming around cause all I talked about was thermoclines, surface temperatures, and the mating habits of fish. I did save some money on gas and had a heap more room in my boat as I throwed away about 90% of the junk I was normally hauling to fish with, and didn't buy not nary one cricket for nearly two years. Matter of fact, got real good at acting uppitty and looking down my nose when in the presence of one of them 'poor, unpleasant live bait type of people" just made me sick to see 'em toting their little minner buckets and boxes of nightcrawlers. Oh the pity of the uniniated, those that no not the science of the finesse worm or whom have lived in the darkness and been denied the enlightment of the rattle-trap.

Well I embelished, maybe a little. But straight up, I went from just being lucky to get to see someone else near me on Lanier catch a bass, then suddenly to scooting around and catching 10 or 20 of my own like it wasn't nothing. That trip with Shane sure boosted my confidence and to this day I still rely on alot of the things he taught me that day and a few further tips he throwed at me over the next couple of years when we wold bump into each other or I would ring him up when I hit a slow spell!

If he still does it like he used to, they aint no better, and it's about time for me get another lesson now that I think about it. I'm a little older and more seasoned now, so maybe it want drive me bass crazy like that first trip and make me start hiring folks to produce and film my own fishing shows or go out buy anymore of them zip-legged britches.

Hope to see Lanier and Shane soon!

Good Stuff. Helps me make up my mind on who to call for a good guide on Lanier.

stickum

Let me add one more if u want to catch stripers on Lanier and have a good time call Harold Nash he makes his own baits and uses light tackle ,so u really get to fight the the fish u can look him up on internet best times to go the months of Jan. Feb. and March for stripers

Shane B.

I will be going with Joey Mines over at West Point in a couple of weeks. Have never been fishing with a guide before but am looking forward to it. Some of my co-workers went 2 weeks ago and had a blast!

http://www.joeymines.com/guide.htm

Mark
You will like joey, my fishing partner took his son out with him a few years ago and they wacked'em.I seen the video of the trip. They caught some hawg linesides. If you can't get joey try,Keith Hudson or Paul Parson's these two have always pointed me in the right direction.

bassfrito

guide fun

if you want a great guy,good time,learn stuff you did`nt know and oh yeah catch a lot of fish call Ryan Coleman from lanier spots he`s the best only fished him 1 time years back hope to go back soon..

jonfishmacon

seeinstripes

one of the best live bait guys in mid ga
is Shawn McNew.
he has a great youtube page and lots of good
fishing info on his site SeeinStripes.com

I caught my first 20# stripe with him a few years ago

he has been catchin some nice hydrids and stripes
on Oconee and Sinclair this year.

treedog

Coosa Cy Grajcar

I have been fishing 3 times with Cy Grajcar on the Coosa. The worst trip I had we caught 35 Stripers. The other 2 times we caught over 50. This guy will put you on a ton of fish.

He is really good.
Good Luck.

www.extremestripers.com

Another thumbs up for Robert

My brother, sister-in-law and I went out with Robert on consecutive mornings (Lanier one day, Allatoona the next). He loves what he does (Harold Nash - are you listening?). He spent significant time on the phone planning our time. His flexibility allowed us to cast for spots, while slow trolling live bait for stripers and/or hybrids.
He consistently put us on fish and we managed a 15 lb striper and many spots and hybrids.

He mixes a sense of humor with a great confidence in himself, which is contagious and encouraging to those of us that like to chuck n' wind all day.

Contact him via www.firstbiteguideservice.com or 770-827-6282

I,ve been out with Robert about 4 times and also took clients out with him. Robert works very hard to get you on the fish and like mentioned before if fishing is just dead he will reschedule rather than zero out.
It's also an on the lake fishing school if you really want to learn he'll teach you effective ways to keep the skunk out of the boat.

Jeff C.

Chief Grass Master
You want to catch fish...AND...have fun?

First Bite guide service as stated above.

Hawgdog

Great Guide!

I think you need to try to go out with Tony Couch at Oconee. He is a FLW Proffessional and is a really good guy. His price is fair and you will learn alot!

Shane is awesome! Been with him twice. Took my wife and 11y/o son striper fishing. Caught fish both times. Both trips we took home 20+ lb. trophies. Extremely professional and friendly.

COUNTRY MIKE

Jay dorsey offers striper and catfish for about $150 this includes license,boat,bait,tackle,and 1 nights lodgeing is number is 1-803-581-0733 he fishes the wateree river tell him i sent you