Handgun minimum barrel length to hunt deer in GA

Buford_Dawg

Thinking of buying a 357 or 41 to give it a go this year but need to know what barrel length is required and if there are any other restrictions.

Seminole Wind

There are no restrictions on barrel length. Center fire cartridges are required, but there are no other restrictions. If you plan to deer hunt with it this year, buy the gun soon and burn a lot of ammo practicing before you take a shot at a live animal.

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
There USE TO BE restrictions.
6" min barrel length and min 500 ft/lbs of energy.
But those requirements were dropped.
But I would still abide.
I hate those stories we've heard about guys having a lucky one shot kill at 60 yds with a 9mm and thinking they are magic.
Blows their lungs out I tell ya.
facepalm:

transfixer

I've never shot one with a handgun, hunted with one plenty years ago, just never had a opportunity to pull the trigger, couple of hunting buddies did, with a 6in .357 and one with a 7 1/2 in 44mag, I'd personally never want to hunt with anything less than a .357 with at least 158gr, or possiblly some monolithic copper load if available ? I'm good enough with my Glock 23 I'd probably try a bow range shot, say 20 yds or so, with some full power or +p loads, but it wouldn't be my first choice, I personally would never try a shot with a 9mil, just not enough punch in my opinion, but people have done it ?

transfixer

I think the 25 ACP is legal.

Not that I would recommend it.

But I do like the fact that the regs leave it up to each hunter to decide, instead of .gov.

I like choices also, but honestly its pretty irresponsible for them to leave off some sort of minimum power requirement, but then again our DNR has shown they have little concern for deer in our state, they don't seem to care if someone hunts with something that may wound a deer that will run off and never be found ? but then they don't care how many are killed either ? you can look at their either sex seasons and bag limits and tell that !

pacecars

A Walker pistol is probably the only BP revolver that would have enough energy, up close anyway.
I am not so sure about that. My ROA .50 caliber by David Clements should have plenty of power for deer. Also you can have the chambers deepened to gain more energy.

transfixer

I am not so sure about that. My ROA .50 caliber by David Clements should have plenty of power for deer. Also you can have the chambers deepened to gain more energy.

I've never owned or shot a Walker, but they're supposed to hold 60grs of powder if I remember right ? that and a 44cal round ball should be adequate for bow range shots I would think ? of course I would have to feel confident in my ability to hit a small target at whatever range I expected the shot to be , say a 4in circle size target

pacecars

So....some ijit can go deer hunting with a snub nose .38 and be legal??
Yep
I've never owned or shot a Walker, but they're supposed to hold 60grs of powder if I remember right ? that and a 44cal round ball should be adequate for bow range shots I would think ? of course I would have to feel confident in my ability to hit a small target at whatever range I expected the shot to be , say a 4in circle size target
The Walker is a huge pistol but being an open top its power is limited, along with its accuracy. The Ruger Ols Army is the finest black powder revolver ever made. In my opinion the factory configuration is capable of taking deer at 25 yards and under. The chambers can be deepened and you gain another 25 yards. The 5 shot big cylinder conversions by Gary Reeder in .475 and .50 along with David Clements .50 caliber conversions give you honest 100 yard deer guns

basshappy

BANNED
Thinking of buying a 357 or 41 to give it a go this year but need to know what barrel length is required and if there are any other restrictions.

No minimum barrel length currently. I prefer 5-inch or longer. And you can't go wrong with the .41 magnum.

transfixer

No minimum barrel length currently. I prefer 5-inch or longer. And you can't go wrong with the .41 magnum.

.41mag is an excellent cartridge, I had one many years ago, does take some practice to get good with it, or at least it did with me, better have some good ear pro with it though, I swear the muzzle blast is worse than a .357 ! Not sure how available ammo is for the 41 mag though ? I don't recall seeing any on the shelf lately ?

basshappy

BANNED
.41mag is an excellent cartridge, I had one many years ago, does take some practice to get good with it, or at least it did with me, better have some good ear pro with it though, I swear the muzzle blast is worse than a .357 ! Not sure how available ammo is for the 41 mag though ? I don't recall seeing any on the shelf lately ?

I didn't notice any snappiness or loud concussion blast type of noise. But then again I enjoy the 454 Casull so ...

I think the 357 is more snappy and has more muzzle flip than the .41. I picked the .41 cartridge for whitetail hunting and predator defense because the range of loads available and how easy it handles (again, for me).

I took my first ever deer with a Ruger Redhawk in .41 magnum 2 seasons ago. No hearing protection, and I remember not ever really being aware of the blast. Probably the adrenalin of my first deer.
20230419_092816.jpg

I buy most ammo online so I haven't run into any issues sourcing it. Maybe local shops are out?

transfixer

I didn't notice any snappiness or loud concussion blast type of noise. But then again I enjoy the 454 Casull so ...

I think the 357 is more snappy and has more muzzle flip than the .41. I picked the .41 cartridge for whitetail hunting and predator defense because the range of loads available and how easy it handles (again, for me).

I took my first ever deer with a Ruger Redhawk in .41 magnum 2 seasons ago. No hearing protection, and I remember not ever really being aware of the blast. Probably the adrenalin of my first deer.
View attachment 1243820

I buy most ammo online so I haven't run into any issues sourcing it. Maybe local shops are out?

The one I had was a S&W 657, if I remember right had a 6in barrel, had a scope on it when I got it, which I ended up removing , I never could get used to the long eye relief pistol scopes, I only kept it one season , I don't remember muzzle flip being that bad, just remember it made an impression on me for how loud it was ! I likely traded it off for something else, really don't remember