Help with and ID

LOVEMYLABXS

A lady I know just this morning gave me a Bear recurve that was justin up space so for free I couldn't pass it up. There is no string and it's not perfect in looks (but neither am i:rofl:) anyways i took a couple of pics of some of the writing on it maybe you can help me out and tell me something about this bow or where to look up some info on it. Also how do i know what type and size of string to get for it. If i read it right it says 54 lbs heck I don't even know if I can pull it :huh:
Thanks for takin the time to look

Last edited:

LOVEMYLABXS

Another shot

Last edited:

LOVEMYLABXS

Then this is written by the handle

Last edited:

reviveourhomes

Post a pic of the whole riser. That would give a better idea of what year it is.

Southbow

Just from looking at the half riser pic I'm thinking you have one of the mid 60's kodiaks that's considered a collector's item.

I'd hang on to that one and buy another recurve off eBay to shoot. The late 60's, early 70's Bear Kodiaks are more common and great shooters too.

chris

60Grit

the Bear Kodiak was my very first bow.

Man that brings back some memories.

Apex Predator

Probably not worth much in that condition. That would probably be most valuable to someone wanting to re-finish it and shoot her. Cool find though!

LOVEMYLABXS

Thanks for the info guys. Knowing nothing about bows to speak of was I right in assuming that the 60 is the lenght of the string I would need? And from looking at the site fflint posted does the poundage of pull change for your lenght of draw some said something like 35 to 60 lbs?

I don't know if I'd hunt with it not being a bow hunter but if I wanted to clean it up and get a string and a few arrows what kind of sugjestion would you make? Would you try to sand it down and refinish or just clean it up?

Thanks again if nothing else it looks kind of cool just hangin on a muley rack on the wall above my Hawkins.

Mike

reviveourhomes

You would need a 56" string. And the darw weight would change roughly 3 pounds for every inch of difference in the draw. That bow would be 54# at a 28" draw (All trad bows are weighed at 28" unless they say different), so if you pulled 27" it would be 51# roughly and if you pull 29" it would be 57# roughly.

Al33

I don't know if I'd hunt with it not being a bow hunter but if I wanted to clean it up and get a string and a few arrows what kind of sugjestion would you make? Would you try to sand it down and refinish or just clean it up? Mike

If it were mine I would clean it up and shoot it, but of course I am not a collector for values sake and I like things that give me pleasure other than just something to look at and that I can actually use. I guess you just have to do what your heart tells you to do. Perhaps someone else who is a collector wouldn't want you to touch it or shoot it. Sure would be nice to know a little of it's history and who owned it.

Note: You should have someone in the know inspect it carefully to see if it is worthy of refinishing or even stringing up. You may do more harm than good if you are not careful, both to yourself and the bow.

LOVEMYLABXS

Thanks Al. I will have it checked out but like you said I'm not a collector and if it's shootable I would like to try it if nothing but punchin holes in some hay bales

LOVEMYLABXS

Got a bud that going to check it out and put a string on it, guess he got something to test the draw weight. Got a pic of it and no matter how it turns out I think it looks pretty good hangin on my Wy. muley above my Hawkins :banana:

Last edited:

PAPALAPIN

AL gave you the best advice. It is a mid '50's (not mid '60's) Bear Kodiak. I would guistimate a '55 or '56. Even in the shape it is in it should have some collectors value. Refinishing it may possibly reduce the value rather than increase.

It is potentially still a good shooting bow. Just be sure to have someone that knows what they are doing srting it up and try it out.

I would string it and just flex it a bit. Let it stay strung over night. Next day just flex it a bit. the come to about 1/2 draw. Then 3/4 draw. Then full draw for just about a second, all the time listening for any strange creeks or groans, or cracking noises.

If you get past this point, shoot a couple of arrows at half draw, then at full draw.

Part of the concern here is how it has been stored all these years. If it has been in a hot, dry envitonment, the glue and inner laminations may be dried out. IF so, it WILL crack up.

Safest bet may be just to hang it on the wall and enjoy it for what it is. However, there are a lot of Bear bows from that era still in use and giveing good service.

You got a great find, and the price was fantastic.

LOVEMYLABXS

Thanks Pap I will pass this on to my bud he is pretty sharp when it comes to bows.

Lowjack

1964 Bear Kodiak, string 56 1/4" I have 2 of those, good shooting bow.
Make sure limbs are not warped, if they are they can still be fixed.

timetohunt

Lowjack I have one of these old Bears too. I have been told that one of the limbs is warped a little. How do I fix it? It actually seems to shoot pretty good right now.

buzzin4bass

Guys, Look at her first pic. Under the patents it says canada 1953. Great looking bow. Good luck with it.

PAPALAPIN

SORRY LOWJACK - It is not a '64. It is a mid '50's bow

A '64 would be Bubinga riser with Grey limbs. This riser is hardrock maple with brown limbs. Also, the last year that a Kodiak had a leather hand grip was like '56 or '57. I have 4 '64 Kodiaks hanging on my wall. In 'Kodiaks I have '63's. '64's, '65's, '66's, a '68 Super Kodiak, and a late '80's Kodiak

BUZZIN

The 1953 date you are seeing is not the year model. It is the patent date. 1953 appers on all Bear recurves. That was the year they got a patent for fiberglass limbs.

Last edited: