Is wind a hunting negative

Hunter922

Deer moved good this morning, all the way to mid day when we got down..

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
Safety is something I haven't seen mentioned. When selecting a tree for a stand or blind location, I always check and make sure there's no dead trees or limbs anywhere around my location. Trees still fall, especially when the ground is saturated, and limbs still break with the right wind. A few times I opted not to hunt that morning because of the wind and go in that afternoon after it died down to find trees and limbs laying a few feet from my blind. I normally opt to hunt a field edge in high winds.

I also carry a saw or ax just in case I get blocked in if one falls across the road.

BamaGeorgialine

My experience is that they are extremely spooky and nervous with all the noise and movement. Usually see them hanging out in fields or openings during stong wind.

One of my best hunts in GA was when tornado sirens were going off, deer everywhere
I'm taking a tornado siren to the stand this weekend! Just ordered it through Amazon! I'm just kidding abd agree with you. I see more deer on cold windy mornings than I typically do. The windy afternoons I don't seem to see much movement

WOODIE13

I'm taking a tornado siren to the stand this weekend! Just ordered it through Amazon! I'm just kidding abd agree with you. I see more deer on cold windy mornings than I typically do. The windy afternoons I don't seem to see much movement
It was a crazy day, not much moving, then it wind picked up, then the hail came down and sirens went off and in 30 minutes I saw 20 or so deer.

GregoryB.

After living in Kansas unless it’s really blowing it doesn’t concern me. Constant wind in Kansas. Now living on top of a mountain in WV it’s pretty windy here as well. Just try to keep the wind in my face.

Sixes

I've killed some of my biggest bucks in high winds. I shot one a few years back with a buddy only hunting about 450 yards from me on the same gas line easement. He never heard the shot.

We hunted Allatoona WMA one year on a December hunt that after a late season tropical storm/hurricane. The morning started fine and we killed a couple of does. By afternoon, the wind had really picked up and by late evening, it got bad. After I watched the second tree fall and multiple limbs and tops come out, I decided that was enough.

We still had to cross the lake in a jonboat with 4 of us and the deer. Got pretty hairy with the waves and looking back, it was a really stupid thing to be doing.

WOODIE13

I've killed some of my biggest bucks in high winds. I shot one a few years back with a buddy only hunting about 450 yards from me on the same gas line easement. He never heard the shot.

We hunted Allatoona WMA one year on a December hunt that after a late season tropical storm/hurricane. The morning started fine and we killed a couple of does. By afternoon, the wind had really picked up and by late evening, it got bad. After I watched the second tree fall and multiple limbs and tops come out, I decided that was enough.

We still had to cross the lake in a jonboat with 4 of us and the deer. Got pretty hairy with the waves and looking back, it was a really stupid thing to be doing.
Boats do make it interesting in the wind. Have taken a few deer from a boat, going to take it out a couple times this week when our antlerless gun season comes in.

Got stories waterfowl hunting on the Potomac and Ohio rivers and one minute the water was glass, next it was whitecaps and chop that made you want a bigger boat, waves breaking over the bow, and nowhere to get out of it

kingfish

I've had a bunch of mornings where the tree tops were rocking back and forth but it was basically dead calm on the ground. Most of the stuff I hunt is pretty thick and I really rely on my hearing, so not a big fan of really hard blowing wind.

earlthegoat2

The old superstition I heard as that windy days make deer more nervous because they can’t tell where the scent or scents may be coming from.

Like I said, superstition.

furtaker

This is bound to ruffle some feathers, but here goes...

All you ever hear is "wind, wind, wind", "blah, blah, blah"....The wind certainly CAN play a role in the success of your hunt, but it is NOT the end all be all that people make it out to be. Lots of times wind is used as an excuse for getting busted, or as the holy grail of success, to cap off a story where old Joe actually looked up from his nap and shot the Muy Grande because it sounds better.

It certainly will not keep me out of the woods if I want to go hunting and sit a spot I like.

A deer can see you, hear you, or smell you. You can get away with one of the three almost every time, but if you give him two, he's gone almost every time.

You can't fool his nose, and if you are in the SE United States, you can never depend on the wind to cooperate with the forecast. It dips, dives, and swirls, all over the place.

Sometimes a deer will smell you and just not even care. Sometimes you get busted before you even get outta the truck.

The only certainty, is that you will not kill a deer unless you are in the woods and hunting them.

There is not a deer in this state that hasn't smelled a human, and they do NOT leave the county if they get a whiff of you. Busted today, kill him tomorrow.

Just hunt and enjoy your time in the woods. For most folks, time is too limited to pass up a hunt because the wind is "wrong".

My Daddy used to say, you gotta be still, be quiet, and be THERE.

Happy Hunting!
In some of the thick places I hunt, deer will come from every direction and I've seen it. It's pointless to try to hunt the wind in places like that.

And on top of that, most of the time when I grill a steak, the smoke will change directions and hit me in the face several times before I'm finished. There may be a predominant direction every day but it still changes frequently.

treemanjohn

Banned
Deer are slaves to their stomachs. They can't take any time off. They're always foraging.

You're not in the right spot if you're not seeing them. On very windy days search out trees with heavy green leaves. Deer will jump on them if they shake loose or if limbs snap off. If they bed near green trees they won't travel far to eat

In windy conditions its far easier to slip in on deer.