Is wind a hunting negative

I sat in my climber from 4pm till 7:45pm tonight in a sweet spot of mine on a north facing ridge hollow/creek- bottom...And I'd honestly have to say that it was highest-winds Ive ever hunted in & I still saw 5 Doe's and 1 nice 8 pointer cruising the ridge top but @ over 100 yd's + away from my stand!!
So as many times as Ive been told that Deer dont move in high winds & stay bedded down, tonight proved all the here-say wrong!!:unsure:

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
I’ve
I’d rather hunt on a windy day than a calm, still day.
simply this! ^^^ I move way too much for still days and we just had a “light and variable “ thread. Yesterday was an amazing day ! I didn’t see any hogs, nor deer, not even a squirrel, but the wind, temps and colors made it a pure joy to be outside!

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
I've killed some of my biggest bucks in high winds. I shot one a few years back with a buddy only hunting about 450 yards from me on the same gas line easement. He never heard the shot.

We hunted Allatoona WMA one year on a December hunt that after a late season tropical storm/hurricane. The morning started fine and we killed a couple of does. By afternoon, the wind had really picked up and by late evening, it got bad. After I watched the second tree fall and multiple limbs and tops come out, I decided that was enough.

We still had to cross the lake in a jonboat with 4 of us and the deer. Got pretty hairy with the waves and looking back, it was a really stupid thing to be doing.
I’ll agree with the Jon boat not being the best decision…….I bet that y’all were having a blast though!! One of the things I like about it though is on those really calm days, you can still get a breeze by the lake….sometimes

Sixes

I’ll agree with the Jon boat not being the best decision…….I bet that y’all were having a blast though!! One of the things I like about it though is on those really calm days, you can still get a breeze by the lake….sometimes
That was back in the late 80s/early 90s before the county got overcrowded and Allatoona was covered in deer. They used to have a couple of hunts a year with doe days on Saturday. If we didn't draw the quota hunt, we knew a guy that had property inside the WMA and we could get landowner permits for the hunts.

We live within a few minutes of the lake and would put in at Victoria and run straight across to access the WMA and hunt areas that were a LONG ways from the gates. We would set two standers and one or two walkers and push the deer off the points where they were bedded, it was a lot of fun. Plus, we used to fish a lot and knew where we would see a lot of deer.

gma1320

I like a Useles Billy Thread
This is bound to ruffle some feathers, but here goes...

All you ever hear is "wind, wind, wind", "blah, blah, blah"....The wind certainly CAN play a role in the success of your hunt, but it is NOT the end all be all that people make it out to be. Lots of times wind is used as an excuse for getting busted, or as the holy grail of success, to cap off a story where old Joe actually looked up from his nap and shot the Muy Grande because it sounds better.

It certainly will not keep me out of the woods if I want to go hunting and sit a spot I like.

A deer can see you, hear you, or smell you. You can get away with one of the three almost every time, but if you give him two, he's gone almost every time.

You can't fool his nose, and if you are in the SE United States, you can never depend on the wind to cooperate with the forecast. It dips, dives, and swirls, all over the place.

Sometimes a deer will smell you and just not even care. Sometimes you get busted before you even get outta the truck.

The only certainty, is that you will not kill a deer unless you are in the woods and hunting them.

There is not a deer in this state that hasn't smelled a human, and they do NOT leave the county if they get a whiff of you. Busted today, kill him tomorrow.

Just hunt and enjoy your time in the woods. For most folks, time is too limited to pass up a hunt because the wind is "wrong".

My Daddy used to say, you gotta be still, be quiet, and be THERE.

Happy Hunting!
This is about the best explanation right here. Although people will disagree. I don't know about where y’all hunt but all the places where I hunt, the deer travel in several different directions. Especially in the funnels and trail intersections I choose to hunt. No matter the wind direction, deer will smell me somewhere.

gma1320

I like a Useles Billy Thread
They surely move good then and also when a hurricane is leaving but it`s still ripping hard, is when I`ve seen an awful amount of movement. Deer are out in force then. We`d be trying get wire back in the air and deer would be everywhere.
Do you reckon all the movement is from the fronts moving in and out of the area?

buckshed

I put a friend of mine years ago in a stand that overlooked a steep bottom ravine thinking deer would be traveling there out of the wind..oldest and heaviest buck we have ever killed on our property was shot by him that evening

Dupree

I was hunting a 130” ish buck about 8 years ago. Got a few pictures of him on a trail. The only daylight pics I ever had of him was on a Saturday morning I didn’t go because the wind was blowing 20-25 with 35mph gusts.