Is wind a hunting negative

SCL

I got up this morning at 6, checked weather. 12-14 mph winds out of NW. Have heard many times in the past not to hunt on windy days, the wind will carry your scent. True to that point, but if it carries your scent the opposite of where the deer are, why not hunt it. Got in my blind at 6:45, one doe who seems to blow at everything, blew behind me about 50 yards away, my scent was traveling the opposite direction. I kept hunting, about 9, a fat spike walked out, ate some persimmon mineral jam for about 30 minutes, thought for sure he would have caught my scent. Two hours later another skinny spike walked out, he was confused on what to do, ate some persimmon, walked away only to come back 30 minutes later. I'm glad I came out, we will see how the rest of the day go's.

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
I'd say the wind is more of a factor than a detriment.

rstallings1979

I would not mind hunting a 10-20 mph Georgia wind if the does were in heat and ready to breed so late October to mid November. I do see fewer deer when the wind is 15mph or greater. A 6-8 mph wind with gusts of 15 does not seem to affect the movement very much.

sleepr71

If it’s blowing in a direction that helps ME..I’ll hunt. If it’s swirling,or blowing in a bad direction…I choose a different spot. I don’t mind it..as long as the tree isn’t swaying so bad it makes me worry about shot placement.

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
This is bound to ruffle some feathers, but here goes...

All you ever hear is "wind, wind, wind", "blah, blah, blah"....The wind certainly CAN play a role in the success of your hunt, but it is NOT the end all be all that people make it out to be. Lots of times wind is used as an excuse for getting busted, or as the holy grail of success, to cap off a story where old Joe actually looked up from his nap and shot the Muy Grande because it sounds better.

It certainly will not keep me out of the woods if I want to go hunting and sit a spot I like.

A deer can see you, hear you, or smell you. You can get away with one of the three almost every time, but if you give him two, he's gone almost every time.

You can't fool his nose, and if you are in the SE United States, you can never depend on the wind to cooperate with the forecast. It dips, dives, and swirls, all over the place.

Sometimes a deer will smell you and just not even care. Sometimes you get busted before you even get outta the truck.

The only certainty, is that you will not kill a deer unless you are in the woods and hunting them.

There is not a deer in this state that hasn't smelled a human, and they do NOT leave the county if they get a whiff of you. Busted today, kill him tomorrow.

Just hunt and enjoy your time in the woods. For most folks, time is too limited to pass up a hunt because the wind is "wrong".

My Daddy used to say, you gotta be still, be quiet, and be THERE.

Happy Hunting!

madsam

No sir , actually Ive seen my biggest deer on windy days....it doesn't deter them. They
may change there pattern abit.

dang

DANG !!!

All you ever hear is "wind, wind, wind", "blah, blah, blah"....The wind certainly CAN play a role in the success of your hunt, but it is NOT the end all be all that people make it out to be. Lots of times wind is used as an excuse for getting busted, or as the holy grail of success, to cap off a story where old Joe actually looked up from his nap and shot the Muy Grande because it sounds better.

It certainly will not keep me out of the woods if I want to go hunting and sit a spot I like.

A deer can see you, hear you, or smell you. You can get away with one of the three almost every time, but if you give him two, he's gone almost every time.

You can't fool his nose, and if you are in the SE United States, you can never depend on the wind to cooperate with the forecast. It dips, dives, and swirls, all over the place.

Sometimes a deer will smell you and just not even care. Sometimes you get busted before you even get outta the truck.

The only certainty, is that you will not kill a deer unless you are in the woods and hunting them.

There is not a deer in this state that hasn't smelled a human, and they do NOT leave the county if they get a whiff of you. Busted today, kill him tomorrow.

Just hunt and enjoy your time in the woods. For most folks, time is too limited to pass up a hunt because the wind is "wrong".

Happy Hunting!
I thought the deer slept all day when it was windy???? :huh:

dang

DANG !!!
It’s important to know if you hunt hills, that there is a point at which the wind speed will override the thermal pull. And the thermal tunnel on the leeward side will move up or down in elevation depending on wind speed.

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
My experience is that they are extremely spooky and nervous with all the noise and movement. Usually see them hanging out in fields or openings during stong wind.

One of my best hunts in GA was when tornado sirens were going off, deer everywhere

rugerfan

I say it all the time, about getting your wind right, but is doesn't keep me from hunting a certain spot, it may determine how I will get into that spot, but I will try to keep the wind in my favor if I am still hunting, but if it swirling, I will still hunt.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
My experience is that they are extremely spooky and nervous with all the noise and movement. Usually see them hanging out in fields or openings during stong wind.

One of my best hunts in GA was when tornado sirens were going off, deer everywhere

They surely move good then and also when a hurricane is leaving but it`s still ripping hard, is when I`ve seen an awful amount of movement. Deer are out in force then. We`d be trying get wire back in the air and deer would be everywhere.

SCL

Happy Hunting!
That is just the way I like to hear it!!

Glenn

I got up this morning at 6, checked weather. 12-14 mph winds out of NW. Have heard many times in the past not to hunt on windy days, the wind will carry your scent. True to that point, but if it carries your scent the opposite of where the deer are, why not hunt it. Got in my blind at 6:45, one doe who seems to blow at everything, blew behind me about 50 yards away, my scent was traveling the opposite direction. I kept hunting, about 9, a fat spike walked out, ate some persimmon mineral jam for about 30 minutes, thought for sure he would have caught my scent. Two hours later another skinny spike walked out, he was confused on what to do, ate some persimmon, walked away only to come back 30 minutes later. I'm glad I came out, we will see how the rest of the day go's.

I don’t ever worry about the wind and scent. Have killed some big bucks on super windy days. If they are chasing/rutting then they will care less.

This entire “hunt the wind” never came up back in the day.

ditchdoc24

I hunted on a hilltop this morning in the wind. Saw a total of 4 deer. Nothing big chose to come by me but they still moved. I haven't managed to kill one from my recliner yet so I guess I'll be in the woods as much as I can.