It’s sad

Big7

The Oracle
I'm always happy for guys killing great bucks but shooting a buck over a bait pile with a crossbow isn't really hunting. It's killing.
Are you talking about in early season in a subdivision with a crossbow over corn because rifle season ain't in yet?

Or.. Shooting Deer in a corn pile anytime, anywhere? Period.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
This is what I told my son about social media, this site included.

If you post something, you better be prepared for the responses. Good or bad. The keyboard gives the weak strength. Makes the meek feel strong.
I would love to see your son’s kills on here. One may bash on here but it won’t stay up and may result in losing the membership.

Kris87

Well said OP. While some could argue most negative things posted here are out of jealousy, I'd argue its out of ignorance. There's simply some rude, ignorant people on this Earth.

I learned to not associate with people like that in life and on the internet, I learned to simply not care what anyone says.

Hunter922

Junk like some of these posts are why hunting will go away someday. And the promotion of this high and mighty big time pro hunter is why I don't subscribe to GON mag any longer. It became about more than just hunting. ....and yes it is Sad and so are alot of so called hunters both here and in general.

Big7

The Oracle
Sadly, it's human nature to elevate one's self above his fellow man, if nothing else, just to reassure one's self despite his own insecurities. I see it all the time on forums.

Oh you fish with bait? I fish artificial
You hunt private land? I hunt public
You went guided? I do DIY
You used a rifle? I use a bow
You sit on a plot in a shooting house? I found a hot scrape and trail in the woods and used my climbing stand?
You inherited your money? I started from nothing
Your Daddy handed you this business? I started my own
etc
etc

I don't like it either, but it's the world we live in, especially when folks put themselves/their success out on social media

Couple of good quotes to remember:

'Travel and tell no one, live a true love story and tell no one, live happily and tell no one, people ruin beautiful things.' - Kahlil Gibran

"Comparison is the thief of joy" - Theodore Roosevelt
And don't forget " Loose Lips Sink Ships" :bounce:
Seymour R. Goff.

killerv

If you're good enough with a bow, it is!
I agree with that to a point but my point is we are seeing 4 and 5yo kids killing deer with crossbows, that's how easy it is. Liked to see it done with a compound. And I've seen too many grown men struggle with the compound and didn't start killing deer until they switched to a crossbow. A crossbow is already drawn and laying across some sort of rest most times, a whole lot less movement when the time comes. Not to mention the ones topped off with scopes. Don't tell me they are the same skill wise.

I don't care what someone does, as long as its legal.

This is my 12yo first year with a bow, he could have killed a truckload if I let him shoot a crossbow all these years. We didn't go that route, it's a new challenge and a humbling experience for him. He's already had two hunts where we almost made it happen. Each time a learning experience.

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
I agree with that to a point but my point is we are seeing 4 and 5yo kids killing deer with crossbows, that's how easy it is. Liked to see it done with a compound. And I've seen too many grown men struggle with the compound and didn't start killing deer until they switched to a crossbow. A crossbow is already drawn and laying across some sort of rest most times, a whole lot less movement when the time comes. Not to mention the ones topped off with scopes. Don't tell me they are the same skill wise.

This is my 12yo first year with a bow, he could have killed a truckload if I let him shoot a crossbow all these years. We didn't go that route, it's a new challenge and a humbling experience for him. He's already had two hunts where we almost made it happen. Each time a learning experience.
R3?

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
On a personal level.IMG_1981.jpeg

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member

Trust me, I get it! Over the last 20 years, I've shot tens of thousands of arrows through a compound. I've practiced to become proficient, and God has blessed me with the eyesight and steady hand to be a pretty darn good bow shooter.

All three of my children shoot bows as well, but none of them draw enough poundage to ethically hunt deer. So I bought them a crossbow. All three have killed deer with minimal practice. Put the red dot where you want to hit, and squeeze the trigger. Put a blind over a corn pile and voila! Easy deer.

Is it hunting? No, not by my definition, but I think it's a great way to get kids interested and feeling successful in hunting.

For a long time, crossbows were associated with old or disabled hunters, and I think a lot of hunters still think of the crossbow as a crutch.

I say, if it's legal, do what you want to do. I'll try to hold my self righteous comments in check.

Browning Slayer

Official Voice Of The Dawgs !
I may ask if you're gonna put a can of corn under your shoulder mount ... ha ha. :)

Tickles me when I see videos of people decked out in camo in a shoot house 200 yards from a feed pile that once wild now conditioned deer feed at daily/weekly, take a shot and miss (what?!?!) or wound (seriously???) a deer, or drop a deer and then celebrate with high fives and attaboys all around, as if some remarkable feat happened. THAT type of "hunting" I just don't understand. But we know different strokes different folks and it is what it is.
You've only been hunting for a couple years so you don't know hunting. Sorry. You come in and act like you've been doing this for a lifetime and all reality, you've only killed a couple deer but you talk like you are god's gift to hunting. :rofl:

It doesn't matter what or how people hunt as long as the are doing it legal.

Browning Slayer

And post whatever picture of a kill you want!

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
I’ve killed truckloads loads of deer with a compound along with every other method. Try as I might, my age prevents me from using my compound. I still scout, put out trail cams, build blinds, everything I do with any other weapon. I gave my muzzle load gear to my kid a few years back to get him in the field more. My crossbow will be with me through archery and muzzle load season. I‘m not as nimble as I used to be, may not kill as many, but I’ll be out there enjoying my time in the woods. If you want me to get my libertaw on tell me I can’t get in the woods because of your preference.

Whit90

It’s purposely including products in the picture with the deer that gets me. Are there actually people out there that care what sent or bait brand that “made” you successful??

Couldn't have done it without sexy doe in heat, extra buck juice, killing spray!!!

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
It’s purposely including products in the picture with the deer that gets me. Are there actually people out there that care what sent or bait brand that “made” you successful??

Couldn't have done it without sexy doe in heat, extra buck juice, killing spray!!!
Look no farther than bass fishing to answer that question. The boat wraps and shirts telling everyone what “killer lure“ was used to get you a win. 6.5 Creedmore is another example of commercialization vs reality. .308 and 7-08 hunters are shaking their heads, got to have a 6.5 to be one of the cool kids.

Browning Slayer

So what's your issue? That 4 & 5 year olds are killing deer with a crossbow? Kids have been doing it with rifles for years. My boy is 15 and hunting with a bow and has killed a few deer with a crossbow when he couldn't pull his bow back to the poundage I cared for him to shoot.

But to say, it's easier to shoot a deer with a crossbow vs a bow sitting over a feeder. It certainly wouldn't be for me. I have blinds set up on 3 feeders on my place and I assure you, I wouldn't miss with either. And I shoot both.

Is it easier in general for beginners, women, and most folks, Sure! But it's not easier than a rifle and that's a fact. Crossbows allow folks that normally wouldn't get out in the woods, access to the outdoors some of us spend a lot of time in.

I think they are great tools. But some folks would rather use a pipe wrench instead of a hammer to bang on things. But hey, it's their pipe wrench. ;)

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Bashing someone’s legal kill is a guaranteed way to have a conversation with a member of staff. It is not tolerated here.

”The bashing of legal kills, whether it be deer, any other big or small game, will not be tolerated. A trophy is in the eyes of the beholder. Posts that harass or belittle anyone and the animal, fish, or bird, and also the legal method of any game taken will be removed and the member will be dealt with accordingly. If you can`t say something nice, it`s best to be silent and move on. This rule will be strictly enforced.”

Everybody, please read and take note of this post. It came about and was added to the rules back 14 years ago. It had gotten to the point that a few insisted on ridiculing and making insulting posts whenever folks would post their kill or catch, and many people quit because of it. It was decided that it was past time to put a stop to such nonsense.

Take it serious, folks. We mean it.

Shad30

It is sad to me that people can’t post their kills that they are obviously proud of without some being envious, jealous and down right hateful. Especially when their kill isn’t killed in a county less populated by people. Like these animals are any less wild than they are in the county “they hunt in” It’s a true shame. I know I feel this way and don’t share near the kills I’m proud of because of this and I am sure I’m not the only one.
I've never understood it....why does it matter how someone takes an animal as long as its legal. You may not agree with the how someone hunts but actually calling them out on it....especially a kid is just terrible. I saw someone on another site (Facebook) so excited he killed a buck and had corn in the background.....1st post someone added was negative. Your hunting over corn. To me bait is bait and thats my opinion. Couldn't care less what someone else thinks. If you hunt planted farm lands or food plots your still hunting a form of bait. Your trying to draw the deer in right? Do i care how you do it.....no.