Kentucky hunter dies from deer attack.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
I can’t even imagine what the families are going through…..prayers sent.

mar0311

Never can be too careful approaching a downed animal!! Happened to a buddy of mine, lucky he only got stuck in the hand by a tine before the Buck headed for the hills...

Toliver

Remember this one from a few years ago? This dude got his butt whooped but still posed with his buck before going to the hospital. IMG_3519.jpgIMG_3520.jpg

GSUQUAD

Tragic, and seems to happen at least once a year. This is always on my mind retrieving a buck.

Many years ago I shot a doe I didn’t know she was followed by a buck. I saw him trot off following her after the shot. I waited a good long while as I could get glimpses of him through the trees standing over her. He gored the doe and put a couple holes in the abdomen. At one point he screamed like a grown man that echoed through the woods.

Upon approach I kept getting closer and closer and he wouldn’t back down, so I spent my last tag on him too out of fear he wasn’t going to back off. I’m talking like 20 yards away fully aware of my presence and not backing down.

I always approach the downed buck with caution and a loaded pointed rifle safety off just for concern of this scenario this poor hunter experienced.

sleepr71

I had a Hog almost get me. Shot it,it fell right there & stayed still..so I kept sitting in the stand. Got down at dark & drove up to it,to load it. That joker growled,started popping his jaws,and came alive☠️. Apparently I had hit it high & shocked the spine. I ended up on the bed of my truck & shooting it again with my 22 mag Derringer. I couldn’t get to my rifle in the truck :rofl: From THAT point forward…I approach from the rear,with a loaded rifle & safety off.! Old doctor I know told me to rub their eyelid with a stick..No blink/Corneal reflex= DEAD..;)

GSUQUAD

I’ve been told the same about the eye poke and blink. I’ve also been cautioned to be extra careful of the buck with his eyes closed and not open.

Usually give a rear end rib poke and an eye poke next with the muzzle.

A rib poke one time I guess was enough to dislodge the blood clot and a loud grumble and popping of air escaped. I won’t lie.. I would have been a little embarrassed if anyone watched. But he was one you could ride like a horse and I didn’t want to go for that ride.

These are precautions we should take, especially when hunting alone.

specialk

I listen for the "pile up" after the shot..they usually go down and flop around before expiring..wait 30 mins....i approach from the back, toss a stick over on it....look for open eyes....set. my on it away from any legs....i got a bad kick from a big deer when i was 12, learned my lesson then....

Lindseys Grandpa

Had a local guy worked for the phone company, he was a huge strong guy which is what saved him from serious injury . He hit a deer with his truck and being unarmed decided to go into ditch with knife and finish it off . He said that was a mistake he would never make again .

The Original Rooster

Mayor of Spring Hill
Bottom line is to know how to approach a downed animal of any kind, and make sure that it is dead before you lay a hand on it.
Remember that Ol' Walt preached this? He knew a fellow butcher at Piggly Wiggly who got laid open by a little tiny doe hoof.

buckpasser

My daughter’s buck piled up with his head hung in a low fork last year. Some might have put an entire magazine into him before realizing he just wasn’t going down! He looked alive and bedded except his tongue was hanging out.

Buckstop

Sad, so horrible for his family.

Known a few that have finished a stunned or spined one with a knife. Never will myself. As for saving a bullet by cutting ones throat, I don’t load or buy them to save them. Deer are so much stronger to start with, plus pumped full of adrenaline in that moment and fighting for their life. No doubt their resolve is way beyond ours.