My best 3 shot group to date out of this rifle

buddy48

I only shot three shots today and these are the results. After I shot these I quit. They were out of my Ruger M77 Mark II .270 at 100 meters with Winchester 150 gr. factory ammo.

Attachments

• DSC_0014.jpg
    DSC_0014.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 746

buddy48

Oh yeah. I forgot to mention that I just had a trigger job done by Steve at Pinetucky in Augusta. The trigger from the factory had too much creep and was too heavy. Steve got almost all of the creep out and it breaks like glass and the pull is right at 1.5 pounds.

chuckdog

Hey, everybody knows a Ruger doesn't shoot like that. Ain't nothin wrong with that one. I recently picked up a couple of the compacts, a .243 and a 7-08. Both have shown to be very accurate. I've got the factory LC6 trigger breaking @ a very clean 3lbs. on the .243. The 7-08 is the older version trigger and will require some parts to get it much better, but it'll shoot with the heavy 4.5lb pull. That's a great group!

germag

Gone But Not Forgotten
Good shootin'!

buddy48

Thanks for the comments!!

As far as the scope it is a Simmons Aetec 2.8x10x44, I have had it for 12 years. I don't think the new Simmons are of the same quality as the older ones. At least in my opinion the quality doesn't seem the same.

Wish I could afford some better glass, but this does the job for now.

Dub

What is the "meters" thing you speak of?

Just kidding, that is some fine shootin'. I'd say you've got that bird dialed in nicely.

+1 on the original Aetecs. They were well made scopes.

Looks like your shooting 1.5 high and 1 inch to the right.. haha,,,Nice group,,most people would envy that group.. Nice...

Lead Poison

Great shooting!!!!!!!

I absolutely LOVE Ruger 77 MK/IIs.

However, I HATE the terrible matte finish on the new Hawkeyes!

Rugers can be VERY accurate and they are built like tanks.

The only major problem I see with your rifle is you have a 1.5 lb trigger pull! That is WAY TOO LIGHT to be safe in my opinion. :hair: :eek: :(

Wild Turkey

clean barrell or dirty?
the trigger makes a huge difference. Had mine done like that.
put that thing in a pillar stock and it will drive roofing nails.

germag

Gone But Not Forgotten
Great shooting!!!!!!!

I absolutely LOVE Ruger 77 MK/IIs.

However, I HATE the terrible matte finish on the new Hawkeyes!

Rugers can be VERY accurate and they are built like tanks.

The only major problem I see with your rifle is you have a 1.5 lb trigger pull! That is WAY TOO LIGHT to be safe in my opinion. :hair: :eek: :(

All of my rifles (except ARs) are set at less than 2 lbs....most are at 1.5 or less. One is set for 10 oz. I've been using triggers set that way for 30 years and I've never had an AD because of it. If you keep the safety on and your booger hook off of the trigger until you're ready to fire....a 1.5# trigger is no less safe than a 5# trigger.

The danger would come from someone else that may not be as disciplined or safety conscious using them. But, I don't usually loan rifles out...... I have a time or two in the past, but I demonstrated the trigger and had the person dry-fire it a time or two so that they were aware and familiar with it.

Banned
Great shooting ,and I too agree with the Simmons Atec I have 2 older ones 3.8-12x44 great scopes,I also have my triggers at 1.5-2lb on my 700 and my abolt.

germag

Gone But Not Forgotten
clean barrell or dirty?
the trigger makes a huge difference. Had mine done like that.
put that thing in a pillar stock and it will drive roofing nails.

Pillar bedding helps over the long run with accuracy by allowing you to achieve the same amount of torque on the action screws every time you take the action out of the stock and put it back, but it won't tighten groups. Glass bedding will help tighten groups by preventing the barrelled action from moving in the stock under recoil. I usually do both if I bother to do one or the other.

The trigger can make a huge difference.

Wild Turkey

My mkII was the early one that came in that piece of junk skelaton stock. Any variation on temp and bolt torque really screwed it up.
The stock rubbed in places it shouldnt etc.
My first stock change was bedded and that helped. Then I found a composite fajen pillar stock for it right before they went out of business. Not sure about the theory ,but the pillar stock with floating barrell did dramatically improve the accuracy.

germag

Gone But Not Forgotten

germag

Gone But Not Forgotten
My mkII was the early one that came in that piece of junk skelaton stock. Any variation on temp and bolt torque really screwed it up.
The stock rubbed in places it shouldnt etc.
My first stock change was bedded and that helped. Then I found a composite fajen pillar stock for it right before they went out of business. Not sure about the theory ,but the pillar stock with floating barrell did dramatically improve the accuracy.

Yeah, the Ruger MKII rifles have 3 action screws. That one in the middle will cause all manner of heartburn, wringing of hands, gnashing of teeth, and flinging of rifles....people have this tendency to want to make it as tight as the front and rear ones.....not good. It's best to snug that one down snug (not tight), and then back it back out about 1/8-1/4 turn. In fact, I've gotten the best results by only tightening the front and rear screws to about 35-40 inch/lbs instead of the normal 50-55. Floating the barrel was probably what did the trick.