Old Family Photos

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy

We bought our home place from a couple. She was an Ayers before marrying. I did get to meet Mr and Mrs Ayres a few times before they passed away.

We looked at some property a few miles away before we bought this place. It was in a community called Ayersville. Just up Hwy 123 out of Toccoa toward Mt Airy

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Jesse and Sarah Cameron Ayers lived in Banks County. Jesse was tied into the huge Ayers line from the Stephens/Habersham area. Jesse joined the 4th Ga Cavalry early in the war. He carried his own horse that he was reimbursed for. During the war the 4th merged with others due to attrition. It eventually became the 12th Ga Cavalry. Jesse was injured twice. Once in the Chickamauga vicinity he got a recoverable injury in the leg.
The other time was during the Knoxville/ Louden Tenn. Campaign. This time his horse and another were struck by artillery killing the horses which fell on him. He received severe crushing injuries which were expected to be fatal.
He did survive, but was disabled for life. He was not even able to dress himself at times. He did work some as a school teacher after the war.
He qualified for a pension around 1890 when Ga started the pension fund.
He died in 1903 and was buried at Homer Presbyterian Church in Homer Ga. My son, grandsons, and I were honored to place a Confederate marker on his grave in 2010.

https://forum.gon.com/threads/honoring-confederate-ancestors-on-fathers-day.548241/

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
We bought our home place from a couple. She was an Ayers before marrying. I did get to meet Mr and Mrs Ayres a few times before they passed away.

We looked at some property a few miles away before we bought this place. It was in a community called Ayersville. Just up Hwy 123 out of Toccoa toward Mt Airy

No doubt some of the same clan.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
No doubt some of the same clan.
Our place is in Franklin County, just a stones throw away from Banks. The Ayersville I was speaking of is in Stephens County, but Stephens County was cut from Habersham and Franklin Counties when it was formed in, I believe, 1904. No doubt that some of these fine people up here are related in some way to your ancestors.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Habersham was a huge piece of land at one time. White county was cut from Habersham in 1858. The county formations and such can be aggravating when trying to research census records. Some of my ancestors were living in Habersham at the 1850 and in White at the 1860 census. But they didn’t move. ?

Silver Britches

Official Sports Forum Birthday Thread Starter
Everyone should have a good backup plan for their most cherished photos and documents. It would be sickening to lose them. I have several local drives I keep copies of my most important files on, and I also use a few free online cloud storage services to back them up to.

I have a large box full of photos and important documents. I scanned most all of them into the computer for having backup copies. It takes some time to do, but if they're the only copies you have, it would be a good idea to safely back them up.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
Everyone should have a good backup plan for their most cherished photos and documents. It would be sickening to lose them. I have several local drives I keep copies of my most important files on, and I also use a few free online cloud storage services to back them up to.

I have a large box full of photos and important documents. I scanned most all of them into the computer for having backup copies. It takes some time to do, but if they're the only copies you have, it would be a good idea to safely back them up.

i have a lot of them on DVD's too. I found a place in Hotlanter that will take old home videos and transfer them over to thumb drives and DVD's. I took all my moms old videos and had the put in digital files, and made copies for all my brothers one year for Christmas presents. My brothers got all their kids together on Christmas day and they watched the movies together. I told my Mom and Dad how blessed we were that they had the forethought to buy a movie camera and make those movies.

I have movies of my Grandpa that passed away in 1979, and movies of my uncles that are all dead now. One was killed in a trucking accident, another of cancer, another of a stroke, and an aunt that passed with lung cancer in her early 50's.

I wouldn't take a war pension for those movies

Silver Britches

i have a lot of them on DVD's too. I found a place in Hotlanter that will take old home videos and transfer them over to thumb drives and DVD's. I took all my moms old videos and had the put in digital files, and made copies for all my brothers one year for Christmas presents. My brothers got all their kids together on Christmas day and they watched the movies together. I told my Mom and Dad how blessed we were that they had the forethought to buy a movie camera and make those movies.

I have movies of my Grandpa that passed away in 1979, and movies of my uncles that are all dead now. One was killed in a trucking accident, another of cancer, another of a stroke, and an aunt that passed with lung cancer in her early 50's.

I wouldn't take a war pension for those movies
Good deal, Pappy! My sister shot a 35mm film back around '84, that I would love to have a copy of on video. It's of my mother and I, and my nephew, who was just a baby at the time. I think it was shot on his first birthday. The camera had belonged to my brother in law, and last I heard, she didn't know what had happened to it. I would give anything to have a copy of that. I do not have any video of my mother, who passed away in 1994.

There's also some old family reunion videos my relatives took many years ago that I'd like to have copies of as well.

I wish I would've had a video camera when I was a kid. I'd love to be able to watch those videos today.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
Good deal, Pappy! My sister shot a 35mm film back around '84, that I would love to have a copy of on video. It's of my mother and I, and my nephew, who was just a baby at the time. I think it was shot on his first birthday. The camera had belonged to my brother in law, and last I heard, she didn't know what had happened to it. I would give anything to have a copy of that. I do not have any video of my mother, who passed away in 1994.

There's also some old family reunion videos my relatives took many years ago that I'd like to have copies of as well.

I wish I would've had a video camera when I was a kid. I'd love to be able to watch those videos today.
I wish the forum would allow you to post up video besides going thru Utube or one of the other sites. I have a video of my Grandpa and my dad killing hogs back in the winter of 59 I would like to share, and one of my maternal Grandpa from 1960. There is a few frames of ol' Pappy in his diapers in that one.

HermanMerman

First pic is of my grandfather (left) Marvin Franklin Hill and his older brother Felton Hill. The second is my father (right) and his cousin and son of Uncle Felton, Rocky Hill. The last pic is the mount of the buck my dad and Rocky are holding. It was the biggest buck my grandfather killed and currently hangs in my son’s bedroom.

Granddaddy and Uncle Felton both served in the military and worked at Atlantic Steel in Atlanta. These pics resurfaced over the past day or so, I have very few pictures of my grandfather but this is the only picture I have of his brother which was one of his eleven siblings and from what I understand, was also his best friend. Granddaddy and Uncle Felton died way too early and I wish I had more time to spend with them.

Attachments

• DC2C616E-5653-47CC-8807-97B6F6851D97.jpeg
    DC2C616E-5653-47CC-8807-97B6F6851D97.jpeg
    146.1 KB · Views: 45
  • B5B22228-627E-4570-9D0B-236F1C1D4A82.jpeg
    B5B22228-627E-4570-9D0B-236F1C1D4A82.jpeg
    104.5 KB · Views: 49
  • 277824ED-8178-4F00-993B-281789C8557F.jpeg
    277824ED-8178-4F00-993B-281789C8557F.jpeg
    89.7 KB · Views: 42

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
those are some great photos Son. Thanks for sharing

Silver Britches

Here's some pics of my dad when he was in the navy. He was on the battleship Wisconsin in the 50s. The images are in bad shape.

Dad Navy Pic (1).jpg

That's dad with the JS on his hat. I don't know who wrote all over it. ?

Dad's Navy Pic (2).jpg

Dad's Navy Pic (1).jpg