thinkin of building a small elevated platform...

outdoorman

My thoughts are to build a few 6x6 wood platforms to elevate a few pop-up blinds for a little more comfort during late season.
Figure only need about 4 ft elevation just to be off the ground a bit.
Normally 2x6s would make up the entire deck platform but since it's only 6x6 and will support no walls or roof, would 2x4s be strong enough for the perimeter as well as the floor runners that the decking will be screwed to? Or would they warp with time??

basshappy

BANNED
@outdoorman depends on spacing I'd imagine. 2x4s close together with hangers should support the platform, the blind, and 2 persons if spaced correctly and correct hardware is used. Well, depends on the weight of the persons and blind, but you know what I mean.

PaDawg

I have several box stands made with 2x4s and have had no issues with warping. They've been up for 5 years. Strength wise, it will depend on spacing and deck material.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
My thoughts are to build a few 6x6 wood platforms to elevate a few pop-up blinds for a little more comfort during late season.
Figure only need about 4 ft elevation just to be off the ground a bit.
Normally 2x6s would make up the entire deck platform but since it's only 6x6 and will support no walls or roof, would 2x4s be strong enough for the perimeter as well as the floor runners that the decking will be screwed to? Or would they warp with time??

I haven't built one of the ground blind platforms like you are doing yet. But I have drawn one out in my head. I intend to use 2X6 joists and 3/4 Advantec flooring if I build one.
I dont think the cost would be much more but the weight would be.

it would need to be pressure treated wood. 2x6 would be better and last longer. Not that much money difference . You aren’t gonna save a lot. On the height I would use pressure treated 4x4x12. Cut the legs in half. Be cheaper doing it this way. . On the floor you will have sagging using 2x4 floor joist. I would use pressure treated 2x6. Since it’s not going to be covered and will get wet. You will need to go with 5 1/4 boards for decking instead of plywood..

Last edited:

Buford_Dawg

I've got 5 platforms sitting 4 foot off ground, built only with 2x4s, works great, 2 of them been sitting on food plots for over 10 years now. No warping yet, they are pressure treated. My platforms are 4x4, not 6x6 however.

glynr329

No way would I use 2x4. It is not going to cost that much using 2x6 or 2x8. If you want it to last use same for flooring or treat it.

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
Not counting nails and screws using 2x4x12 will cost $165.51 total each, 2x6x12 is $179.45. Just $13.84 difference.
All boards pressure treated
2" x 6" or 4" x 12 ' - 5pcs.
4" x 4" x 12' - 2pcs.
Cap blocks - 2pcs.
Hanger brackets - 8pcs.
5/4" x 6" x 12' decking boards - 7pcs.

westcobbdog

With much of my lease being clear cut I am thinking the same but perhaps with some rubber tires so the platform can be moved around.

Jim Baker

Staff member
2x4s will be fine if you use 2x6 for frame and put in a 2x6 header in the center of the frame reducing the span of 2x4. 16 inch centers. But your are not going to save much money, just weight. Use hangers and coated screws or hot dip galv nails.

outdoorman

Not counting nails and screws using 2x4x12 will cost $165.51 total each, 2x6x12 is $179.45. Just $13.84 difference.
All boards pressure treated
2" x 6" or 4" x 12 ' - 5pcs.
4" x 4" x 12' - 2pcs.
Cap blocks - 2pcs.
Hanger brackets - 8pcs.
5/4" x 6" x 12' decking boards - 7pcs.
Wow, last thing I expected was a cost list for the build; thanks so much.
excuse my ignorance but why the 2 cap blocks ( and what sizes)?

outdoorman

2x4s will be fine if you use 2x6 for frame and put in a 2x6 header in the center of the frame reducing the span of 2x4. 16 inch centers. But your are not going to save much money, just weight. Use hangers and coated screws or hot dip galv nails.
I'm convinced to go with the 2x6's since minimal savings.
Since lumber prices are better than pandemic, I plan them soon and build after hunting season

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
Wow, last thing I expected was a cost list for the build; thanks so much.
excuse my ignorance but why the 2 cap blocks ( and what sizes)?
4"x8"x16" solid cap block, break them into (2) 4x8x8 and put one each in the bottom of the post hole to give it a wider base, so the post won't sink into the dirt as fast.

gobbleinwoods

Keeper of the Magic Word
4"x8"x16" solid cap block, break them into (2) 4x8x8 and put one each in the bottom of the post hole to give it a wider base, so the post won't sink into the dirt as fast.
and won't rot faster nor have termites get to them in a few years.

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
Instead of anchoring the platform into the ground, you might consider putting 2x8x10 runners on the post at ground level in case you decide to move the platform at some point in the future. Two anchors screwed into the ground will hold it down and stable.

If you use elevator brackets there is no need to anchor in the ground or tie down especially since it will. Only be 4 to 6 feet off the ground

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
I would anchor because of wind.