Time for a new truck! 3/4 ton options

GAbuckhunter88

It is getting close to time to start looking for another truck and I am contemplating getting a 3/4 ton. Below is a list of what I do with the truck.

- Pull a skid steer maybe 2-3 times a year. Total weight of machine and trailer around 11,000LBS

- Pull a tractor with implements twice a year. Weight around 7,000LBS

- Looking at getting a camper. Probably be in the 7,000LBS range.

- Will be my daily driver.

With my above needs I have realized I probably need to go ahead and get a 3/4 ton truck. Now I know some people will say you could get away with one of the ECOboost F-150's or they pull a skidsteer with a 1/2 ton no problem. While I know this may be the case there is no sense in putting myself or anyone else pulling with an under powered truck.

The question that comes to mind is Gas vs Diesel. I have been looking at the Ram 2500 with the 6.4 hemi, it appears to be the better of the 3/4 ton gas trucks. Does anyone have any comments on this truck? I know a diesel is the better towing option but I don't think I am towing enough heavy loads to justify the added purchase and maintenance cost of it. I am open to other recommendations on trucks as I want to hear what you have that has worked for you.

T-N-T

I owned a 3/4 ton gas Chevy .
Less than 2 years later I finally traded for a diesel dodge

I like being able to get out and run even with the camper behind me.

Gas is fine. But if you have pockets enough to stand it, you will not be disappointed in diesel

Gas trucks will not like hills if you camp in the mountains. They will shift around a lot. They will get 7 mpg while loaded.

Nothing wrong with gas. But for me, I'm not going back

WayneB

I owned a 3/4 ton gas Chevy .
Less than 2 years later I finally traded for a diesel dodge

I like being able to get out and run even with the camper behind me.

Gas is fine. But if you have pockets enough to stand it, you will not be disappointed in diesel

Gas trucks will not like hills if you camp in the mountains. They will shift around a lot. They will get 7 mpg while loaded.

Nothing wrong with gas. But for me, I'm not going back
7 MPG is a stretch in hill country, I averaged 5 MPG in CO pulling my camper.

Wish I had gone diesel...

Grub Master

Resale on a diesel will more than offset the initial cost. Plus a diesel will get better gas-diesel mileage

oops1

Buzzard Expert
Not knockin a diesel but I had one as a daily driver and maint is why I no longer have one. 16 quarts of oil.. Two batteries.. Higher fuel. It adds up quick. Plus..if they break. Have fun

lonewolf247

Not to knock the diesel either, but if you don't tow every day, or use it to make a living towing, it's really hard to overcome the initial cost, fuel, oil, and maintenance cost over the course of the ownership, unless you keep it a really long time. Usually, after about 5-6 years, I'm ready for another one. :D

I went with the Chevy 2500 HD with a 6.0 gas. I find it has plenty of power for towing, and the fuel mileage averages 14-17 mpg, with every day driving, when I'm not towing. The fuel economy suffers a bit when towing heavy, but I don't tow heavy trailers every day. As far as towing light loads, like my atv trailer, you don't even know it's back there, and it really doesn't hurt the fuel mileage enough to notice.

For me, I'd go with the gas engine, because it's much easier, and cheaper to maintain. If you decide to go the diesel route, I'm sure it will more than suit your needs though.

joey1919

Not knockin a diesel but I had one as a daily driver and maint is why I no longer have one. 16 quarts of oil.. Two batteries.. Higher fuel. It adds up quick. Plus..if they break. Have fun

My Chevy diesel only holds 10 quarts. I change the oil every 10k and the fuel filter every 5k.

16 quarts seems like a lot, you must have had a Ford. I guess the extra oil is to account for the amount it will burn and leak out between oil changes...

95g atl

16 quarts seems like a lot, you must have had a Ford. I guess the extra oil is to account for the amount it will burn and leak out between oil changes...

LOL. That was funny :)

Now I know some people will say you could get away with one of the ECOboost F-150's or they pull a skidsteer with a 1/2 ton no problem. While I know this may be the case there is no sense in putting myself or anyone else pulling with an under powered truck.

I'm not a huge F150 fan, however, the EcoBoost "max tow package" or whatever it is called, will tow around 13.5k lbs. and they seem to perform much better than many of their v8 counterparts towing. There are several youtube videos showing them in independent tow tests.

The question that comes to mind is Gas vs Diesel. I have been looking at the Ram 2500 with the 6.4 hemi, it appears to be the better of the 3/4 ton gas trucks. Does anyone have any comments on this truck? I know a diesel is the better towing option but I don't think I am towing enough heavy loads to justify the added purchase and maintenance cost of it. I am open to other recommendations on trucks as I want to hear what you have that has worked for you.

I thought the 6.4 hemi would be a great gas tow beast, however, I watched the FastLaneTruck videos, and it was the slowest out of the bunch up the hill towing max weight.

seen here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YP0Laptyr4k

The most powerful GAS motor was the slowest. They blame the transmission ratio spacing. If you go to about 5 minutes into the video, you can see it going under 30mph up the hill towing and would not go faster.

Personally if you went with RAM, I would go for the diesel. These folks seem to have the best prices in the nation: http://www.dennisdillonchryslerjeepdodge.com/

Here is the RAM Diesel towing about the same weight, up the same hill..............way different.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMhAM4dBgnQ

oops1

Buzzard Expert
My Chevy diesel only holds 10 quarts. I change the oil every 10k and the fuel filter every 5k.

Very hurtful

T-N-T

Very hurtful

Truth

Mine holds 3 gallons. Cummins. But it's only $13 a gallon and I can run 10k miles easy. I have sent it off for analysis, so I'm comfortable with it.

Jeffriesw

I have a 2011 Ford F-250 Super Duty, 4 X 4 crew cab, 6.2 liter GAS Engine with 4.30 gears. I use it to pull an occasional equipment trailer (5000 lbs) and a my travel trailer (36 foot, 9500 lbs loaded)
And I am very happy with the way it pulls.
13.5 MPG empty
7.5 MPG pulling the travel trailer

chevypro1

I would stick with gas. Not knocking a diesel, but I see them EVERYDAY. Up keep is more expensive. The newer ones with DEF systems give lots of problems on GM's. When it goes out of warranty, it turns into a BOAT(break out another thousand$$$)! Just my opinion.

GAbuckhunter88

If i towed heavy every day or even once a month I could see going diesel however I'm only talking about towing heavy a few times a year. The rest of the time when I'm towing its light loads. Plus being my daily driver and I drive a good bit for work. .

Running the numbers I just can't seem to make the cost work out for the diesel. Big factors are I have a gas card so fuel economy is taken out of the mix. Also I know repairs are substantially more expensive so i had to carry a higher maintenance cost when comparing numbers.

I drove the Ram with the 6.4 on Friday and didn't like it I drove a chevy with the 6.0 yesterday and liked it. Found a Ford I'm going to go drive tomorrow and see how I like it.

Jeffriesw

If i towed heavy every day or even once a month I could see going diesel however I'm only talking about towing heavy a few times a year. The rest of the time when I'm towing its light loads. Plus being my daily driver and I drive a good bit for work. .

Running the numbers I just can't seem to make the cost work out for the diesel. Big factors are I have a gas card so fuel economy is taken out of the mix. Also I know repairs are substantially more expensive so i had to carry a higher maintenance cost when comparing numbers.

I drove the Ram with the 6.4 on Friday and didn't like it I drove a chevy with the 6.0 yesterday and liked it. Found a Ford I'm going to go drive tomorrow and see how I like it.

Sounds like you came to the same decision I did, for about the same reasons.

When I bought my super duty in 2011, I had every intention of buying a diesel. But when I factored in the larger up front cost, higher fuel cost and higher maintenance cost I just did not make sense for me based upon my needs.
I actually built an EXCEL spreadsheet and factored in every thing and then looked at the cost for 150,000 miles.
The gas motor won for me.

I pull an equipment trailer occasionally and my travel trailer 12 - 15 times a year.

T-N-T

The Chevy 8.1 over the 6.0

Gets a little bit worse mileage empty. But you don't care with that card right.....

Way better pulling power. I have driven both with big loads. They are apples to chocolate covered brownies