UPDATE - New Gun Carry Bill - HB 875

We expect Governor Deal to sign the bill as he has always stated that he will sign any pro 2A bill that reaches his desk.

That's not true.

Sorry, but I'm not joining in the back slapping.

Before this session, we

(a) couldn't carry on campus

(b) couldn't carry in bars

(c) couldn't carry in churches

After this session, despite all the hoopla, we

(a) can't carry on campus

(b) can't carry in bars

(c) can't carry in churches (unless we get permission).

So out of the big 3, we got part of one, none of two.

Whoopee.

Oh yeah, and a handful of hunters get to use suppressors. I wonder if they left the ban on subsonic ammunition in the bill?

Double Whoopee.

Mossy78

That's not true.

Sorry, but I'm not joining in the back slapping.

Before this session, we

(a) couldn't carry on campus

(b) couldn't carry in bars

(c) couldn't carry in churches

After this session, despite all the hoopla, we

(a) can't carry on campus

(b) can't carry in bars

(c) can't carry in churches (unless we get permission).

So out of the big 3, we got part of one, none of two.

Whoopee.

Oh yeah, and a handful of hunters get to use suppressors. I wonder if they left the ban on subsonic ammunition in the bill?

Double Whoopee.

You might want to reread the bill and amendments, we did get bar carry..

Khondker

After years of uphill, exhausted and tactical battle we have gained what we have now.

GeorgiaCarry.Org is not stoping here. GCO will be coming back to change church carry and campus carry.

We don't retreat, we reload.

Thanks
Khondker

RamblinWreck

There is no wording in the bill prohibiting subsonic ammo, and never was in HB60. I challenge anyone to show otherwise. All ammo is subsonic after a point downrange.

Campus carry isn't going to happen, or at the very least will prove to be an extremely hard nut to crack. The Board of Regents will always fight it tooth and nail. So good luck with that. Of course, I'll support it anyway.

GranCazador

There is no wording in the bill prohibiting subsonic ammo, and never was in HB60. I challenge anyone to show otherwise. All ammo is subsonic after a point downrange.

Campus carry isn't going to happen, or at the very least will prove to be an extremely hard nut to crack. The Board of Regents will always fight it tooth and nail. So good luck with that. Of course, I'll support it anyway.
It would be kinda hard banning .45 acp and .38 special.

Slingblade

Gone But Not Forgotten
Also in this bill:
Governor can no longer prohibit the carry of weapons during a declared emergency.
No fingerprints required upon renewal of GWCL.
Prohibits LEOs from stopping you while carrying just to see if you have a GWCL.
Prohibits the compiling of a database of GWCL holders.
Prohibits gun registration.

Last edited:

frankwright

The no fingerprinting is a great addition to me, I hated getting finger printed in my county. I had to go to the jail and wade through some uncomfortable areas and wait with the women wanting to put money in the jail store for their men.

Khondker

The no fingerprinting is a great addition to me, I hated getting finger printed in my county. I had to go to the jail and wade through some uncomfortable areas and wait with the women wanting to put money in the jail store for their men.

:rofl:

HuntinDawg89

I agree that we didn't get everything we wanted. I would have much preferred church opt out instead of opt in. I would have loved campus carry although it does not affect me. We got a lot of good things in this bill IMO. Our state cannot do to us what they did in New Orleans after Katrina. No fingerprinting for permit renewals is really convenient. Being able to carry in some government buildings was beyond my wildest dreams. However, the one that will affect my life most frequently is the decriminalization of church carry and the church opt in. Once this law is in effect this will improve my safety and/or the safety of my family at least 2x per week.

Assuming the governor signs this bill, and I believe he will, I am very pleased with that GeorgiaCarry.org, the NRA and our other allies were able to accomplish. Congratulations to everyone involved and those who opposed it - TOUGH.

This is real progress.

Khondker

Michael Bloomberg's Mayors Against Gun, Gabby Giffords and Mark Kelly's Gun Control Pac, North Georgia Gun Sense, Moms Demand Sex and lots of other anti-gun group tried to destroy this bill.

They are calling Governor not to sign that bill.

HuntinDawg89

Michael Bloomberg's Mayors Against Gun, Gabby Giffords and Mark Kelly's Gun Control Pac, North Georgia Gun Sense, Moms Demand Sex and lots of other anti-gun group tried to destroy this bill.

I just wrote my state senator and state rep and thanked them for voting for HB60. I also sent Gov. Deal a message asking him to sign the bill.

However, I cannot see how idiots like Bloomberg, Giffords, etc. could be much concern to Gov. Deal. These are outside forces of extreme liberalism (I know Bloomberg is supposed to be a Republican but he could never be called a conservative) and any money they throw into any races that Gov. Deal is involved in will go against him anyway. They will support whoever wins the democratic nomination for governor whether Gov. Deal signs this bill or not. Gov. Deal has a lot more to lose by NOT signing this bill than he does by signing it. Among the Georgians that could possibly be upset about him signing this bill, 90+% of them would never vote for a republican anyway.

Come on Governor Deal, do the right thing and sign this bill.

(no, this isn't the message that I sent him)

AM1

if that's what they are calling for, then they are actually pushing for it to become law. He actually has 3 options, 2 of which is good for us. He can sign it, veto it, or ignore it (not sign), and it becomes law automatically upon 40 days after passage. They don't want him to sign it? Fine by me. But, when all is said and done, he will sign it, 99% certainty.

HuntinDawg89

if that's what they are calling for, then they are actually pushing for it to become law. He actually has 3 options, 2 of which is good for us. He can sign it, veto it, or ignore it (not sign), and it becomes law automatically upon 40 days after passage. They don't want him to sign it? Fine by me. But, when all is said and done, he will sign it, 99% certainty.

Good point and I am quite certain that those in local or even state government would much prefer him to sign it than to NOT sign and let it become law even sooner. They are going to need time to figure out what to do about the new access to government owned buildings that are not secure. They will undoubtedly need time to add security to some of those buildings so they will not have to allow concealed carry within.

They may want him to veto, but if he doesn't do that I'm sure they (local govt) would prefer that he sign as that gives them more time to plan and execute those plans.

I just can't see him vetoing it. That would be political suicide IMO.

AM1

Good point and I am quite certain that those in local or even state government would much prefer him to sign it than to NOT sign and let it become law even sooner. They are going to need time to figure out what to do about the new access to government owned buildings that are not secure. They will undoubtedly need time to add security to some of those buildings so they will not have to allow concealed carry within.

They may want him to veto, but if he doesn't do that I'm sure they (local govt) would prefer that he sign as that gives them more time to plan and execute those plans.

I just can't see him vetoing it. That would be political suicide IMO.

Agreed. He must sign it, he has to. he might grit his teeth and hold his nose as he does it, but he has to sign it. Too many campaign promises and rhetoric for him to go back on his word. The heat being put on him by David Pennington is just extra insurance.

HuntinDawg89

Agreed. He must sign it, he has to. he might grit his teeth and hold his nose as he does it, but he has to sign it. Too many campaign promises and rhetoric for him to go back on his word. The heat being put on him by David Pennington is just extra insurance.

How long does he usually wait to sign a bill after it passes?

It seems to me that if he is getting a lot of pressure from both sides the best thing to do is just go ahead and do whatever you are going to do as soon as possible. Then at least nobody will be bugging you trying to sway you on the issue. One side will be happy and the other side will not but it'll be over. In this instance if he signs the outsiders like Bloomberg would likely just move on to the next battle in some other state.

I sent him an e-mail over the weekend and called his office this morning. The lady who took my call seemed less than enthused about it. I think she is ready for folks to quit calling about it one way or the other. She didn't give any indication what the Gov. was going to do. Obviously I didn't expect her to.

Khondker

How long does he usually wait to sign a bill after it passes?

It seems to me that if he is getting a lot of pressure from both sides the best thing to do is just go ahead and do whatever you are going to do as soon as possible. Then at least nobody will be bugging you trying to sway you on the issue. One side will be happy and the other side will not but it'll be over. In this instance if he signs the outsiders like Bloomberg would likely just move on to the next battle in some other state.

I sent him an e-mail over the weekend and called his office this morning. The lady who took my call seemed less than enthused about it. I think she is ready for folks to quit calling about it one way or the other. She didn't give any indication what the Gov. was going to do. Obviously I didn't expect her to.

The Governor stated earlier he would sign pro guns bill if it reaches at his desk.

It is hard to tell when he is going to sign the bill. Once he sign the bill it becomes effective on July 1, 2014.

If the Governor does nothing for 40 days, the bill will become law without the Governor's signature and becomes effective on July 1, 2014.