UPDATE - New Gun Carry Bill - HB 875

Khondker

Link below to contact Governor.

http://votesmart.org

When you open the page, there is a space that says "Find Your Elected Officials". Type in your 9-digit zip code and click on search.

For the Governor's contact information, click on "Gubernatorial". It will bring up a profile of Nathan Deal.

-----

groundhawg

The Governor stated earlier he would sign pro guns bill if it reaches at his desk.

It is hard to tell when he is going to sign the bill. Once he sign the bill it becomes effective on July 1, 2014.

If the Governor does nothing for 40 days, the bill will become law without the Governor's signature and becomes effective on July 1, 2014.

Now he is wating till after the primary elections then he will veto the bill. :banginghe

HuntinDawg89

Now he is wating till after the primary elections then he will veto the bill. :banginghe

Nope. He has 40 days from the date it passed to either sign or veto. If he does neither it becomes law on 7/1.

It was passed on 3/20. Therefore his 40 days will be up on 4/29. The primary isn't until 5/20 based on what I'm finding online.

I don't understand why he hasn't signed. If he is getting all of this pressure from Bloomberg and others (out of state interests primarily) and yet he intends to sign the bill, the best way to turn off the heat would be to go ahead and sign it. They will know they've lost and turn their attention elsewhere. It almost makes me think he is just going to wait the 40 days and let it become law so he'll be able to say he didn't sign the bill (and that is fine with me). I'll take anything but the veto.

AM1

Nope. He has 40 days from the date it passed to either sign or veto. If he does neither it becomes law on 7/1.

It was passed on 3/20. Therefore his 40 days will be up on 4/29. The primary isn't until 5/20 based on what I'm finding online.

I don't understand why he hasn't signed. If he is getting all of this pressure from Bloomberg and others (out of state interests primarily) and yet he intends to sign the bill, the best way to turn off the heat would be to go ahead and sign it. They will know they've lost and turn their attention elsewhere. It almost makes me think he is just going to wait the 40 days and let it become law so he'll be able to say he didn't sign the bill (and that is fine with me). I'll take anything but the veto.

40 days or 40 business days? If its the latter, I think he has until May 14th. I suspect it will be signed around the end of April, first part of May. he will want this fresh on the voters minds on May 20th.

All governors wait until the last 2 or 3 days of signing period to sign most of the bills. It has something to do with the period that the legislature has to undo a veto. Being as the bill doesn't go into effect until 7/1/2014 in any event, I'm sure he doesn't feel any rush on this or the 200 other bills waiting his signature.

40 days or 40 business days? If its the latter, I think he has until May 14th. I suspect it will be signed around the end of April, first part of May. he will want this fresh on the voters minds on May 20th.

Pretty sure it's 40 calendar days. Typically, in legal construction, any period over 7 days are counted as calendar days.

But if you want to count exact days, I'm not exactly sure of what day the 40 starts. It's either whatever date it's transmitted to the governor or the date of adjournment.

HuntinDawg89

40 days or 40 business days? If its the latter, I think he has until May 14th.

I don't know, but GCO has been saying 40 days, so I ASSUMED it was calendar days. You know what happens when you assume.

Pretty sure it's 40 calendar days. Typically, in legal construction, any period over 7 days are counted as calendar days.

But if you want to count exact days, I'm not exactly sure of what day the 40 starts. It's either whatever date it's transmitted to the governor or the date of adjournment.

Well it was passed on the last day of the session wasn't it? So wouldn't that be the same as the date of adjournment?

Well it was passed on the last day of the session wasn't it? So wouldn't that be the same as the date of adjournment?

It would be if that is the date that starts the signing period. However, the bill has to be entered on the minutes, and formally transmitted to the governor, and I don't know how long that takes in the electronic age, and whether it is significant in the process. I suspect that if we dig into it, it's 40 days from the date it's transmitted to the governor, but that would only make a day or two difference, so I don't care enough to look it up. :huh:

HuntinDawg89

The waiting is killing me but if he thinks it is to his political advantage to wait as late as possible to sign it then I can understand it. If he were to veto it then I'll be a vocal participant in the political fallout.

Khondker

Update : great news

Below is latest update from GeorgiaCarry.Org

April 18, 2014

Dear GCO Member,

It is no longer necessary to call Governor Deal concerning HB60. Below is an invitation GCO received from Speaker David Ralston for all members of GCO to attend the signing of HB60. The invitation below is self-explanatory.

Jerry,

On behalf of the bill sponsors and myself, I would like to invite you and your membership to Ellijay next Wednesday, April 23rd, at the ETC Pavilion on the Coosawattee River where Governor Deal will sign House Bill 60, the Safe Carry Protection Act of 2014. The bill signing ceremony begins at noon. After that, a BBQ lunch will be served open to those who can join us.

The address for the ETC Pavilion can be found below. Thanks and I look forward to seeing you and everyone in Ellijay next week.

Speaker Ralston

What: Bill Signing Ceremony for HB 60, The Safe Carry Protection Act of 2014

When: Wednesday, April 23, 12:00 p.m. (noon)

Who: Speaker Ralston

Governor Nathan Deal

Members of the General Assembly

Where: ETC Pavilion on the Coosawattee River

255 Legion Road
Ellijay, Georgia 30540

Thanks for all your efforts to get HB60 signed. After the bill is signed on Wednesday, we will have to wait until July 1, 2014 for the bill to take effect. Founding Board Member and Atlanta Gun Rights Examiner Ed Stone is planning a series of articles explaining what HB60 does for the people of GA in layman's terms so we can be prepared when the bill becomes law. We will also have a session at the 6th Annual GCO Convention on August 16.

------------------------

Khondker

I would like to thank everyone from bottom of my heart for staying united and contacting lawmakers, Governor and Lt. Governor.

Also, GeorgiaCarry.org already working on next year gun bill.

Stay tight.

Thanks

------------

cowhornedspike

Was the lead-off story on the CBS evening news tonight. Inaccurate of course but still lead-off. They claimed that not needing to show your permit was something new.

Raven311

HUD clarification

Can someone give me some clarification? I am a property manager at a community for developmentally disabled adults. They all live alone in individual apartments and do not have access to my apartment. These are HUD homes. I was verbally told in the past that I could not have firearms on the property. Does this law restore my right bear arms? I have a GWCL and daily carry outside of my home. Any clarification is GREATLY appreciated.

Can someone give me some clarification? I am a property manager at a community for developmentally disabled adults. They all live alone in individual apartments and do not have access to my apartment. These are HUD homes. I was verbally told in the past that I could not have firearms on the property. Does this law restore my right bear arms? I have a GWCL and daily carry outside of my home. Any clarification is GREATLY appreciated.

HUD/Federal rules and legislation overrides any state law. You need to go above "verbal" assurances, and ask to see it in the regulations. FWIW, it's probably in there, in which case you are bound by it.

This is exactly the kind of question that's way above my pay grade, and any one else I've seen on this forum, and I certainly wouldn't risk my livelihood and housing on the answers I got from this forum.

I'm betting that at the end of the day, you can't have weapons in the property, but again, I have to emphasize, don't risk your livelihood or housing on my advice.

HuntinDawg89

HUD/Federal rules and legislation overrides any state law. You need to go above "verbal" assurances, and ask to see it in the regulations. FWIW, it's probably in there, in which case you are bound by it.

This is exactly the kind of question that's way above my pay grade, and any one else I've seen on this forum, and I certainly wouldn't risk my livelihood and housing on the answers I got from this forum.

I'm betting that at the end of the day, you can't have weapons in the property, but again, I have to emphasize, don't risk your livelihood or housing on my advice.

I am not a lawyer, but I agree with Longhunter. If the reason you have been prohibited from having a firearm in your residence is due to HUD regulations then nothing has changed. HUD is a Federal agency so Georgia law would have no impact IMO.

GunnSmokeer

good idea

It could be a rumor or somebody's "guess" or "assumption" that in federally-subsidized housing, guns are not allowed.

I would want to see a rule or law that says so. With an actual citation to some authority like the chapter and section of the CFR (Code of Federal Regulations) or USC (United States Code). Not just some website or blog that says, in passing, "here's a list of rules for HUD homes" and you see on that list something against possessing firearms.

Congress has the power to make rules and regulations, and to delegate the rule-making power to agencies and departments in the executive branch, for all FEDERAL PROPERTY.

Is this HUD housing project federal property?

If so, did Congress give HUD or some other agency broad rule-making power?

If so, did the agency properly propose, consider, and then enact a rule in compliance with the Administrative Procedures Act?

If all that DID happen, then it looks like our Georgia statutory law won't matter. Federal law is supreme over conflicting state law on any subject where the feds have the authority to enact laws / rules.