Well, it happened to me. Almost didn’t make it home to my wife and kid

arich_5

after an evening hunt. I’m posting this so maybe it will slap some sense into somebody who is like me who hasn’t gotten the point yet.

Wednesday evening around 5 I was using my climber to get into position to hunt a spot I’d been up to many times before. 20’ up a sweetgum I had finished my climb and while facing the tree I sat back on the top portion of the climber to make sure it was locked into the tree...CRACK! I was falling backwards before I even knew what happened. Somehow the two tiny toe straps held and I was hanging upside down with my legs twisted up and boots locked into the bottom platform of the stand. The top portion was 20’ on the ground below. I’m alive but now it hits me that I’m in a fight for my life. I try to pull myself back up to the stand and up to the tree. I tried and tried but the way my legs were twisted I just couldn’t do it. At this point the worst feeling I’ve ever felt comes over me...my life would depend on someone else coming to save me. I had on loose fitting khaki work pants where I keep my cell phone in my front pocket. I reach UP to get it and I have no clue how it was still there. If it wasn’t I doubt I’m here today.

I was hunting alone, no safety harness and no one knew exactly where I was other than I was somewhere on 200 acres of land behind my mom’s hunting. Everything they tell you not to do right? But I’m young, dumb and something like this would never happen to me. Anyway, I frantically call my mom and tell her where I am and to call 911. I can tell she has no clue where the stand is. I next call my brother-in-law. He doesn’t answer. Keep in mind I’m making these calls upside down while hanging onto the bottom of the stand with the other hand to hold my head up so too much blood isn’t getting to my head causing me the pass out. I make one final call to my sister and scream to her my situation and where I was at. She said it sounded nothing like me and at first thought it was a prank call. Once she gets the seriousness of the situation I can hear her freaking out and she hangs up the phone. At this point I focus on holding on and keeping my head up so I don’t pass out. I didn’t know who was coming or if they could find me. After only 5 minutes of hanging I could already tell my blood flow was greatly restricted and if help didn’t arrive soon I was in big trouble. My hands and legs were going numb and I couldn’t keep my head up much longer. At that point I hear my mom blowing the horn on the truck and I look back across the field to see her driving back and forth 300 yards away. She can hear me yelling but can’t pinpoint where I am on the edge of the woods. At this point my hands are totally numb and I can no longer hold onto the bottom of the stand. I just lay back hanging completely upside down from my twisted legs yelling at the top of my lungs hoping someone would find me. After maybe 2 minutes of this I see another truck come into the field and it heads straight towards me. Out jumps a family friend and his hunting partner who were just about to get into their own stands 5 minutes down the road. My sister called him at my brother in laws urging and told him the location info I had given her and he knew the area because he had hunted back there before. Him and his buddy walked under the stand and looked up at me and knew I was in bad shape. They brainstormed for a minute and the family friend saw a cedar tree next to the one I was on he thought he could climb to get to my stand so he could try to pull me back upright. He did this risking his own life during the climb and standing on the bottom portion of my stand that we didn’t know would hold with his weight and mine, the top portion is already at the bottom of the tree. Luckily everything held and he’s able to grab my hand and pull me up. I’ve never felt so much relief or been so thankful but we’re not down yet and are both on a suspect stand at 20’ waiting on someone to get us down. My blood flow is coming back and I start regaining feeling in my arms and legs. My buddy said he thought my legs were broken judging by how they looked when he got up there. The fire rescue team shows up a few minutes later and my buddy helps them rig up a rope system to get us down. It took maybe 30 minutes for them to get me down. No way I could have hung upside down with my legs twisted up for that much longer.

We both are down safely and both my legs are already really sore but I don’t think anything is broken. I go over to the top portion of the stand to see the cable had broken at the loop where the pin connects it to the arm.

I’ve spent the last few days thinking about how dumb I’ve been, how lucky I was, all the mistakes I made before and after the stand broke and all the things that could have happened differently that would have led to me not being here today. If I had taken my feet out of the bottom straps before trying to set the top climber...if I didn’t have on steel toe boots that locked the straps in...if the toe straps didn’t hold...if my phone didn’t somehow stay in my pocket while hanging upside down...if the suspect stand didn’t hold with me and my buddy both on it...all that was by chance and I’m dead or a vegetable if it all didn’t happen.

A HARNESS COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS. Don’t get in a stand without a harness, inspect your stand, don’t hunt alone from a stand, make sure someone knows exactly where you are hunting each and every time. Don’t be like me, you may not be as lucky.

Thankfully all I have is a bruised calf on one leg and a badly sprained ankle on the other. I missed two days of work and am able to walk today with a limp and take my 2 year old trick or treating this evening. For the mistakes I made and situation I put myself in I don’t think I could have come out any better. This has changed my perspective on a lot of things. I hope this post reaches someone else who has been like me.

Blackston

My little guy is 2 and i didn't harness up till on day turning around my platform slipped just enough to scare me ?. I'm so glad your safe!!!!! It could happen to anyone

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    270.1 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_0205.JPG
    IMG_0205.JPG
    146.5 KB · Views: 36

amoore28

Hey man great post. Glad your family could help and you made it out alive. I have made those same mistakes but it hasn't eneded like that for me yet. Thanks for the eye opener. I think alot of guys need to read this.

Hillbilly stalker

Man I'm glad your alright. Indeed an eye opener. It happens so fast . If a man values hunting, he should do everything possible to ensure he makes it up and back down in one piece. I can look back at some of he stupid stuff I've done in the past for a deer, and wonder why I'm alive. I will not climb without a harness period . I believe somebody upstairs might have been looking out for you. Glad your OK.

Jonboater

Wow glad you made it. Definitely make a person think. If you can take a pic of your cable and post it on here. Btw what kind of stand was you in?

specialk

thanks for posting....makes me glad I gave up climbers years ago.....funny, I still manage to kill a few deer every year.......

TimBray

Very glad you are OK. (y) You just can't stress the importance of a safety harness enough.
Had my close encounter back in the early 90s. Had a Baker platform and had bought a hand climber to use with it. I climbed about 40-45' up in a big pine. Did have the thought to tie myself to the tree with a rope after I got settled. Get ready to come down. Set hand climber (or so I thought) and put my weight on it to lower the platform. Next thing I know, I'm nearly upside down with one hand over my head and the other between my knees holding onto the hand climber. Took me about 30 min. to get calmed down enough to even think about trying to get down that tree. Like you, I was there alone but my wife knew where I was. Only problem was they probably would have found a body if I had fell that far. Son was about 10 and daughter 7 at that time.
Never used the hand climber again and bought my first harness the next week. Never used a climber without one since.

BowanaLee

The big guy was surely watching out for you. Thankfully your ok.

LifeLongHunter

You got a second chance! Glad all went well. I was the same way hunting for many years before there was such a thing as a safety harness. Went hunting right after my youngest son was born, and stand cut out on me as well, fortunately was able to grab the tree and hold on. Stand fell about 5 feet and i had to skimmy down the tree to the stand and get it anchored again. Talk about "pucker city", from that moment on have not climbed a tree without the harness on the tree first. I have actually forgotten my harness got in the woods before realizing no harness and turned around and drove home to get it. Remember live to hunt, hunt to live.

DJ1710

Yep it happens before you know it....it happened to me. Fell backwards out out of my lounge clearing limbs. I got lucky and swung myself back up and grabbed on and pulled back up. Bruised my legs up. Stand didn’t fail, I bumped it loose evidently. Keep your weight on that top platform. Sit down and cut limbs and wear a harness!

dwhee87

GON Political Forum Scientific Studies Poster
Thanks for sharing, and good PSA for us all. I even wear a harness in ladder stands now days. 15 or 18 feet may not seem like you're that far up, but a fall from that height can be deadly or permanently disabling.

Glad it turned out ok.

six

Wow. Your lucky, you get a do over. Most folks don't get a second chance! I'm pretty sure your do overs will be done with this incident in mind for the rest of your life. Glad your ok and you got to go home to your family.

That's exactly the reason I hunt from the ground. Things can even go wrong from the ground. But at least if I fall it will be a short one.

Latest posts