Well, it happened to me. Almost didn’t make it home to my wife and kid

D

Deleted member 35556

Yeah, if you’re climbing your better have a safety rope. Leaving the ground in a climber without one is a death sentence.

Joe Brandon

Hey man I'm a nurse at The Shepherd Center. Do you know how many falls I see every year from tree stands? Do you want to never be able to feel from your neck down, not being able to urinate or have a bowel movement on your own again? Never walk again? Well go spend the 50-150 on a good harness. I do not want for the first time you and I meet to be me cleaning you up and sticking a tube down your throat to suction your trach.

wks41

I’m very glad your ok man. I had an accident last year climbing out of a tree. I had a climbing stick kick out from under me. Luckily I was in my harness and attached to a life line. It saved me from a 20 ft fall. I did end up detaching my bicep tendon from trying to hold on when I started to fall. I had surgery two days later and was in rehab for 6 Months. I got very lucky too. It changes you after something like this

WGSNewnan

thank god you are okay. that is exactly why I hunt deer like i hunt turkey. on the ground and fully camo'd. dont miss climbing one bit or toting that stand into the woods.

Back40hunter

This is a great post.Thank you for sharing. And ditto to Nutts post.

Sorry for the accident but Very happy you are in as good a shape as you are! Thanks for sharing the story and use this second chance wisely.

ryanh487

Glad you’re ok. Now, repeat after me: never ever......ever, climb a sweet gum with a climbing stand. Ever.

Pine trees only
This! Sweet gums regrow from broken trunks, but the break can still be rotting and you'd never know. Always a risk that the top of the tree will snap off with you in it if such a spot exists. Same thing with tulip poplar. Safety harness doesn't do much good if the tree is coming with you!
Glad you survived this one, I know that was scary for sure!

jbogg

I am glad you are OK, and I appreciate you sharing your experience. A harness is a must, but that is only half of what one needs. For a real eye opener put your harness on and with a buddy or your spouse on hand suspend yourself just off of the ground using a step ladder or something you can easily climb back onto. The pain is excrutiating, but very quickly you will start to experience suspension trauma.

Your body weight will apply so much pressure on the leg straps that they will act as a tourniquet and restrict blood flow from your lower extremities back up to your brain. Within minutes you will pass out, and if not rescued death will follow from blood pooling in the lower extremities and not recirculating to the heart.

Therefore, being able to self rescue to the ground using a lifeline especially if you hunt solo is ideal, but in the absence of a lifeline you can use the suspension relief strap that comes will all quality safety harnesses. By placing your foot into the suspension relief strap you can place your weight on relief strap relieving your weight from your groin area. This will allow the hunter to remain conscious until help arrives.

Suspension Trauma is real. Wearing a harness alone is not enough. Hunters have been found dead hanging upright in a harness. Everyone should become familiar with how to use the suspension relief strap, and always keep it within arms reach.

Last edited:

Hillbilly stalker

This! Sweet gums regrow from broken trunks, but the break can still be rotting and you'd never know. Always a risk that the top of the tree will snap off with you in it if such a spot exists. Same thing with tulip poplar. Safety harness doesn't do much good if the tree is coming with you!
Glad you survived this one, I know that was scary for sure!
I never knew this. And as a "FULL FIGERED GUY" 605' 325 LBS, I consider this valuable information. Thanks for the heads up, I don't bounce too good anymore.

TimBray

First few times I climbed I had the relief strap in my pack which usually wound up hanging on a limb or behind my feet. Fortunately the light dawned on me that the relief strap won't do me any good if it's hanging 6' above me or on the ground. o_O
Now it goes in my jacket pocket.

cr00241

Glad your okay and thanks for sharing the story.

I saw a picture being shared on Facebook with a guy daggling like you are describing. The picture will make you think twice about climbing without a harness.

dwhee87

GON Political Forum Scientific Studies Poster
I am glad you are OK, and I appreciate you sharing your experience. A harness is a must, but that is only half of what one needs. For a real eye opener put your harness on and with a buddy or your spouse on hand suspend yourself just off of the ground using a step ladder or something you can easily climb back onto. The pain is excrutiating, but very quickly you will start to experience suspension trauma.

Your body weight will apply so much pressure on the leg straps that they will act as a tourniquet and restrict blood flow from your lower extremities back up to your brain. Within minutes you will pass out, and if not rescued death will follow from blood pooling in the lower extremities and not recirculating to the heart.

Therefore, being able to self rescue to the ground using a lifeline especially if you hunt solo is ideal, but in the absence of a lifeline you can use the suspension relief strap that comes will all quality safety harnesses. By placing your foot into the suspension relief strap you can place your weight on relief strap relieving your weight from your groin area. This will allow the hunter to remain conscious until help arrives.

Suspension Trauma is real. Wearing a harness alone is not enough. Hunters have been found dead hanging upright in a harness. Everyone should become familiar with how to use the suspension relief strap, and always keep it within arms reach.

Great point, JBogg.

Many use a harness. How many have gone out into their backyard, and tied themselves to a tree 5 feet off the ground and practiced on how to use the suspension relief strap? How many could do it in an emergency having never done it before?

We practice shooting, practice climbing, but do we practice the life-saving skills, too?

treemanjohn

Banned
I have posted this many times in many hunting forums. This is a very simple solution that will save your life in any similar situation to this. Even working on a ladder, roof,...... Any elevated position. It also works with any harness. Learn this and keep a good piece of rope on you at all times. 3 minutes of effort will let you go home to your family at the end of the day

SCDieselDawg

Man! I’m glad it wasn’t any worse than it was. I use to think I didn’t need a harness. It was my future father in law who got through my thick skull that I needed a harness. He made it clear, that I could not hunt with him until I bought a harness and started using it. I’m now going through that battle with my own dad. I bought him one, but he comes up with excuses for not wearing it.

ProAngler

Hey man I'm a nurse at The Shepherd Center. Do you know how many falls I see every year from tree stands? Do you want to never be able to feel from your neck down, not being able to urinate or have a bowel movement on your own again? Never walk again? Well go spend the 50-150 on a good harness. I do not want for the first time you and I meet to be me cleaning you up and sticking a tube down your throat to suction your trach.

How many? Not being a smart but, just curious how much it happens?

4HAND

Cuffem & Stuffem Moderator
Staff member
Thanks for sharing, and good PSA for us all. I even wear a harness in ladder stands now days. 15 or 18 feet may not seem like you're that far up, but a fall from that height can be deadly or permanently disabling.

Glad it turned out ok.

I wear a harness in ladder stands too. Started years ago when my son was little. I made him wear one & wanted to set a good example. Wanted him to consider harness just as much a part of his hunting gear as his gun.

lonewolf247

Man, I'm glad you pulled out of this one, with just a big scare! But, more importantly you learned from it, and are helping others to become aware of the dangers! Most of us have prolly pushed the limits on safety, especially when younger, but it's not a wise choice.

I hunt almost all permanent box stands these days, some on pipelines, right of ways, and in the woods. However, you still have to be careful every single time, when climbing up and down. Years back, I was taking my 9 year old son on one of his first hunts. having to pack two guns, a hunting bag, other gear etc, up the ladder to the stand. I got lazy and decided I could pack it all up the ladder in one trip. Didn't want my son having to mutiltask while climbing the ladder, and didn't want to climb back down to get the rest. Also, never had a need to use a rope to lift things when I hunt alone.

I got to the top of the ladder, and when I went to step in to the stand, my foot slipped on the wet metal ladder, and I was looking 20' down at the ground below, with both hands full. I managed to grab the ladder with my hand, and clutch my sons shotgun, with my neck and shoulder. Whew! Carefully put things into the stand, and got set up to hunt. The whole hunt thinking about how I could have fell, or had to toss one of the guns at least... Both guns were unloaded, for sure. I never climb or decend with a loaded gun.

Plus side, my son killed his first deer/buck, and I never tried to climb overloaded again! Bottom line, never let your guard down, and always put safety first!!

Joe Brandon

How many? Not being a smart but, just curious how much it happens?
Maybe 3 or 4 from Ga I actually see. Again that's just one hospital . Its enough that I can start expecting the them to start showing up come Sep. Whether it be climbing in a stand, falling backwards from a self climber while climbing up a tree, or building box stands.

Latest posts