Where was God...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Artfuldodger

We see in the modern world just how much diet and location can effect the human condition that is true, but why did early meat consumtion lead to jets and computers? Why didnt this happen in other animals? Still seems like the seperation between us and them is bigger than diet and chance but thats just me. Our role in the world will be known at some point to every person in it.
I wonder if man's ability to love also sets us apart from other species? Love, compassion, caring, etc. Plus if looking at it from that way so would hate, anger, and pure meaness.
But that being said some animals, especially animals that live in social groups do have social skills, so maybe not.
I still think in a really bad disaster that even humans are gonna look after themselves and their family before they start caring and sharing with the rest of the folks that are also in need. I think, even for us Christians, it's easier for us to help and love our neighbor in the good times vs in the hard times.

RamblinWreck88

Useles Billy ain’t got nothing on ME !
But did we ever find out where was God?
9e7e1de5-21f1-4049-a7e0-28316a51466d_text.gif

oldfella1962

This was a very long winded way for the author to blame obesity on evolution. If humans had a weak digestive system to start out with, that starved us of nutrition, then how were we able to get to the tools and fire stage? Seen any other animals cookin a steak? On the flip side of that hogs and other animals have been eatin cooked food that humans provided them for centuries. Why are hogs not driving cars now? And, to top it all off, if other animals have the ability to access proper nutrition without fire, then why did their brains not grow large and give them intelligence on the human level. I will also add that modern nutrion science seems to show a vast array of health problems from eating overly processed foods. So, in the modern world we are seeing what happens to the body when it gets too much.
"Why are hogs not driving cars now? " - you never heard of a ROAD HOG? Atlanta freeways are full of them. :LOL: Seriously though, animals don't walk on two legs and many don't have opposable thumbs, so they can't make tools or fire. Granted there are different theories on the connection between fire and big brains and which came first and whatnot. I would say google it and get even more ideas from different theories - it's pretty interesting. But think about this evolutionary sidenote: note this is in my own words off the top of my head:
notice how gorillas have a HUUUUUGE belly? That's because they have very long digestive tracts that are needed to break down & digest the often starchy, fibrous and calorie poor foods they consume. Remember, it takes X amount of energy for any species to function, and that X amount has to perform different functions. I'll say digestion and thinking, just to keep it simple. If a large percentage of the gorillas X amount of energy goes to his very long digestive tract, there is less available energy for his
brain. Brains use a lot of energy, and the more complicated & large a brain is, the more energy it needs. Perhaps - over many generations - if gorillas were fed cooked food more energy could go to growing a bigger brain because their digestive tracks would shorten. Who knows?

Cooking our food gave proto-humans (fire use began before Homo Sapiens) more energy for growing a bigger brain since it gave us more energy "more bang for the buck" from our food since our digestive tracts didn't have to work so hard anymore. IMHO when proto-humans figured out how to kill more and bigger critters along with cooking that meat, that was the real "game changer". Now we could consume much more protein and get the most energy from that protein. But which came first, the chicken or the egg? :unsure: Did fire come first or the big brain to control the fire come first? Research is always underway, and it could be some other factor entirely that ties all this together.

oldfella1962

I was witness to that. Funny that what claims to "know grace" (to me) often shows less of it than what makes no claim of its "theological" foundations, but shows more. You (to me) acquitted yourself well (even with apology as I recall) in a situation that I saw as requiring neither, acquittal nor apology, (nor explanation)

Yes, "we" godly often much prefer to think it's a "your stubborness" or willfulness that is an issue, or even the issue that needs addressing. And man, thanks be to god we are sent to help open your eyes!

Was it Mark Twain? yes, I just checked, it was.

When I was a boy of fourteen, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be twenty-one, I was astonished at how much he had learned in seven years.

seems some christians are quite a bit more devoted to the notion of "safe spaces" (hey! my thread, my ideas, my directorship) than they could bear having shown them.

If yer gonna claim to be letting the genii of light outta the bottle ya better be reconciled to the truth that that light's control is surrendered in the act. Or your just playin' at bein' one of the vessels.

Cause it ain't no fairy tale genii.

A Director is present, no need for help.
Mark Twain was a true poet and a prophet! An American treasure IMHO.
But he's right on about the kid and the parent!

oldfella1962

I think we're a branch of evolution that just worked. Our brains use 20 to 25% of our total energy intake. That noodle takes a lot of energy to work, it has to earn its keep. And it did, through several positive feedback loops. We got smarter, which allowed us to harvest more protein, which made us smarter still, and so on. With it came the ability to create more complex tools, then language really expanded our horizons. It gave us the ability to think abstractly, a means to convey past and future, and with that a realization of our own mortality, which in turn leads to spirituality. Why it happened only with us I don't know, but it did, and it gave us the ability to outcompete every other species on the planet.
Great point about feedback loops! They are present in just about everything we do when we really think about it.

oldfella1962

But what do we do when we can no longer deny "but man, I sure loved it too, when I thought I was (smart)."

Look what I did!

Once in a Lifetime (David Byrne)

"My God, what have I done?!"
David Byrne is too smart for his own good! :LOL: Just kidding, he's great at merging brainy lyrics with entertaining & accessible musicality.

Israel

BANNED
um, uh, hello...hello?

WaltL1

I was witness to that. Funny that what claims to "know grace" (to me) often shows less of it than what makes no claim of its "theological" foundations, but shows more. You (to me) acquitted yourself well (even with apology as I recall) in a situation that I saw as requiring neither, acquittal nor apology, (nor explanation)

Yes, "we" godly often much prefer to think it's a "your stubborness" or willfulness that is an issue, or even the issue that needs addressing. And man, thanks be to god we are sent to help open your eyes!

Was it Mark Twain? yes, I just checked, it was.

When I was a boy of fourteen, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be twenty-one, I was astonished at how much he had learned in seven years.

seems some christians are quite a bit more devoted to the notion of "safe spaces" (hey! my thread, my ideas, my directorship) than they could bear having shown them.

If yer gonna claim to be letting the genii of light outta the bottle ya better be reconciled to the truth that that light's control is surrendered in the act. Or your just playin' at bein' one of the vessels.

Cause it ain't no fairy tale genii.

A Director is present, no need for help.
That Mark Twain observation really hit me where the blood pumps.

Israel

BANNED
echoing yesterday's sentiments after downing that 1/2 pounder

Honey, I think I had too much fun...

Israel

BANNED
That Mark Twain observation really hit me where the blood pumps.
yeah, what to do when the theoretical unbearable becomes the real unbearable...just one revisit to tell them...you were right. Not about all the stuff necessarily as much as one day something would hit me that I can't bear to know...that I once refused to know. What was unbearble for me to know because in that then I couldn't; but it would happen, nonetheless.

I'd grow up a bit.

You were right. Life happened to me, too.

And you loved me even when I thought you were lying about it. Cause I knew I had it...but you...not so much. No one is, or ever has been or could be like...me.

Till I found out I am wrong.

Now the unbearable is remarkably...wonderful.

Honey, I think I am having too much fun.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.