Why do the experts bother with adding the 1/2 to deer age ?

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
The .5 isn’t offensive to me, but I prefer the description in racks. 1st rack, second, third, etc. It works from the .25 mark to about the .75 mark in years.

It’s a little annoying when someone is asking for a buck age in July and people are saying “3.5” when 3.05 is likely closer.
IOU

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
I think it’s a spring birth thing, but what confuses me is the yearling thing. How old is a yearling? Is that first rack or second? I like that description better, quite frankly.

buckpasser

I think it’s a spring birth thing, but what confuses me is the yearling thing. How old is a yearling? Is that first rack or second? I like that description better, quite frankly.

We had this discussion a couple years ago I think, but a pile of folks call a fawn a “yurlin”. A yearling is supposed to be a deer of around a year old, so a “first rack” buck, but that kind of wording might get you ostracized in deer camp or on here. I use “fawn” until they are completely indistinguishable from an adult deer.

Dutch

AMERICAN WARRIOR
At this point in my life I dont care what the "experts" have to say.
I dont worry about age or rack size, if I want to kill a deer I do.
My only rules is dont shoot yearlings or does with youngins

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?
I know when someone says a deer is 3 1/2 they are doing so due to the spring birth.

But why bother ?? 3 years old is close enough isn’t it?

Oh, I’m 68 1/2 since I was born in the spring and it’s fall now.
milk man that's been agrivating to me too for a long time!
I do NOT MIND at all when someone tells me the buck looks 4.5.
But when I say the deer looks 4, and then someone jumps all over me "well actually, technically, acording to nasa headquarters he would be 4.5!!!!" that's what's aggrivatting

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?
milk man that's been agrivating to me too for a long time!
I do NOT MIND at all when someone tells me the buck looks 4.5.
But when I say the deer looks 4, and then someone jumps all over me "well actually, technically, acording to nasa headquarters he would be 4.5!!!!" that's what's aggrivatting
Why say the extra words or type the extra keys if everyone knows what we're describing.
Then when you have 10 minutes to talk to someone about a deer then they spend 9 minutes correcting you that the deer was born in the spring so its a .5 or a half. Oh well, I just typed for 5 minutes spendin time on the subject again. But it is a funny subject and good post milkman

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
As a mighty wise Elder told me going on 60 years ago, deer will drive a man crazy.

He was right.
Ducks, geese and turkey just add to the mix.

Plus you can't score a backstrap unless you use BOOM and CROCKPOT

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
I know when someone says a deer is 3 1/2 they are doing so due to the spring birth.

But why bother ?? 3 years old is close enough isn’t it?

Oh, I’m 68 1/2 since I was born in the spring and it’s fall now.
The technique used to age deer by tooth replacement and wear in 1949 was based around hunter-killed deer in the fall and deer are born in the spring. The starting age class is a fawn, or 0.5 years old, so I assume they kept the subsequent age classes in half years from a data analysis standpoint. If you are calculating the average age of bucks killed on a property you would skew your calculation if you used 0.5 for buck fawns but whole years for all other older bucks. Those age averages and ratios are specific metrics that biologists use to understand what is going on with the herd based on harvest data.

OR

The simpler answer is that half years sound cooler and the biologists sound smarter ;)

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
The technique used to age deer by tooth replacement and wear in 1949 was based around hunter-killed deer in the fall and deer are born in the spring. The starting age class is a fawn, or 0.5 years old, so I assume they kept the subsequent age classes in half years from a data analysis standpoint. If you are calculating the average age of bucks killed on a property you would skew your calculation if you used 0.5 for buck fawns but whole years for all other older bucks. Those age averages and ratios are specific metrics that biologists use to understand what is going on with the herd based on harvest data.

OR

The simpler answer is that half years sound cooler and the biologists sound smarter ;)

Charlie we think you’re smart anyway.

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
I don’t know the true answer but I’d shoot a 3 year old - 130 class deer instead of waiting for him to be a 5 1/2 year old 135 class deer.

Saw a hunting show last night and they were talking about a buck they’d watched for years letting him mature…….they found him dead. He matured too long.

My Daddy said a bird in hand is better than two in the bushes.

wm742

I don’t know the true answer but I’d shoot a 3 year old - 130 class deer instead of waiting for him to be a 5 1/2 year old 135 class deer.

Saw a hunting show last night and they were talking about a buck they’d watched for years letting him mature…….they found him dead. He matured too long.

My Daddy said a bird in hand is better than two in the bushes.
If your hunting and managing a small property(150-250 acres) in a somewhat populated area, you may only be able to hold 7 or 8 bucks. You may have 1 that you watch closely for 4 antler drops, but most of your culls are going to be in the 3 drop range. And your lucky if your neighbor or a car doesn't get him first.
If you have the right constant food, water, and shelter, you will get a couple very respectable racks every year. Not Boone and crocket record book, but decent deer with decent meat and something to add to your antler themed home decor.

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
If your hunting and managing a small property(150-250 acres) in a somewhat populated area, you may only be able to hold 7 or 8 bucks. You may have 1 that you watch closely for 4 antler drops, but most of your culls are going to be in the 3 drop range. And your lucky if your neighbor or a car doesn't get him first.
If you have the right constant food, water, and shelter, you will get a couple very respectable racks every year. Not Boone and crocket record book, but decent deer with decent meat and something to add to your antler themed home decor.
We manage to kill some really nice ones off our place every couple of seasons.

I have no issues with letting them grow, managing, etc. All I’m saying is sometimes a buck can be the best he’s going to be right now………and folks will “one more year him”.

My motto is save some for your kids / grandkids……..if you see one that you’re not ashamed to say you killed…….kill him.