"why I don't hunt anymore"

cself

https://bittersoutherner.com/from-t...ve/why-i-dont-hunt-anymore-charles-dodd-white

Just read this article and to be honest it provoked pretty strong emotions. I will begin with sharing my initial feelings but would also be interested in hearing your guys opinions as well.

First of all I respect and even agree with the attitude that many hunters don't have the same appreciation for the outdoors and hunting as I have and was raised to appreciate, for some it is nothing more than a competition or opportunity to kill something. I don't look down on anyone who has this attitude, I just feel from my perspective that they are missing something far more satisfying than simply killing and bragging rights. That being said I don't wish that those people would simply stop hunting rather I hope that they continue to enjoy the outdoors in there own way with the hope that one day it will be more about the outdoors and less about each individual kill. When I was a kid with my red rider I shot lizards, carpenter bees, song birds and occasionally got a chipmunk never considering what I was doing or thinking past the next challenge of difficult shot or attempting to get something bigger pushing the limits of the weak BB gun I loved so much. Today I hardly ever squirrel hunt and am very selective about what/how many deer I kill for fear of something going to waste. In some ways I believe it's a natural progression to go from a general bloodlust to a overall respect of life and the outdoors and I don't believe that we should judge each other harshly over the way we enjoy and appreciate the outdoors as we navigate what it means to us individually.

Secondly I don't understand why we let others ruin our enjoyment. In his article he talks about how the average Hunter has changed and in his eyes not for the better. My question is so what, if he really believed that why does that make him give up on it all together. I almost exclusively bow hunt it frustrates my dad to no end and he constantly urges me to carry a gun and increase my opportunity during gun season but he doesn't go back home and get back in bed just because I don't hunt like he does. It would make more sense to me if he continued to hunt in hopes of showing his way of enjoying the outdoors to the next generation rather than giving up on the whole endeavor. Anyway I guess I'm just tired of hearing negative press about OUR COMMUNITY and needed to vent. I don't start many threads on here so I will end with saying hope you guys have a safe and enjoyable season no matter what your goals are, please respect laws and remember your actions effect us all.

j_seph

As crazy as it may seem this hit me from reading a little of that article and the OPS comment here. Deer hunting can sort of be compared to Christianity and salvation. The Bible tells us to work out our own salvation with fear and trembling. As Christians we are to walk and live as Christ. As a deer hunters we are to walk on the path we know, we are to follow our hearts and do that which we feel is right, honest, and true. We can choose to follow the path of others or we can walk on the path we know. We need to work out in ourselves that which is right and if we feel it is right and true then follow that path. Just because others are doing this or doing that it should not keep us from our passion. If at some point what others do intrudes on that, then we should step up and tell them. But what one is doing in Hart county, even though I do not agree with it does not effect my hunting in Hall county, why worry with them and ruin what I have myself.

XIronheadX

PF Trump Cam Operator !20/20
I never went to the woods giving a dang what anyone thought, or anyone did. My best days were spent alone, or with my son later on. I've been blood thirsty, I've hunted weaponless.

The author obviously identified himself with a group, instead of his own self. He basically threw everything about the south and hunting under the bus. I seriously doubt he was even born in the south. He probably would see himself in the same group with poachers, as hunters, and be embarrassed about it. It actually reminded me of a guy that came to Psychology class in college everyday stoned out of his mind.

Dutch

AMERICAN WARRIOR
I killed my 1st deer at age 10, squirrels and rabbits afore that...I am 50 years old and have missed 3 seasons (military)in my life. I will continue to hunt (and fish) till I am no longer able.

Its not a hobby...its a way of life.

4HAND

Cuffem & Stuffem Moderator
Staff member
First off, shame on him for seeming to apologize for being southern.

Secondly, I deer hunt because I love everything about it. From pre season preparation to having venison for supper.
I was going hunting with my family way before I was old enough to actually hunt. I did the same with my son. I'll deer hunt as long as I'm able.

I think y'all have hit the nail on the head with this dude. I smell a treehugging liberal pansy.

NCMTNHunter

This man is a joke who believes he can pass himself off as some kind of critical thinker. He judges people based on the trucks they drive and stickers on them. Assumes they are not true sportsman, conservationist, hunters, or anglers and even goes so far as call them racist. He is the very thing he despises and doesn’t even realize it. Funny thing that bad hunters made him quit hunting. There are plenty of bad writers out there but it hasn’t kept him from writing. He quit hunting for some reason. Who knows why and there is nothing wrong with that. But blaming it on anything but himself is downright rediculous. Rant over.

PopPop

Gone But Not Forgotten
My son and I joke with each other about our chances to get a deer, they are slim. Our camouflage is several patterns out of date, no 2 pieces match, we aren’t hauling $20k UTVS behind $70K trucks, our rifles don’t have graduated turrets and mil dot reticles and not a single decal on anything.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
I have realized then that my change of attitude isn't in the Southern woods or my own development but in a large percentage of the Southern outdoorsman himself. I use the word "outdoorsman" with intentional precision because the change, though not universal, has been largely male. While there are many who still practice the reverence and respect that were hallmarks of my youthful hunting experience, it seems their numbers thin each season. Instead of the ethic of Leave No Trace, there is another kind of code. On the interstate you see it on the back panels and rear windows of tricked out pickup trucks. Stylized decals with phrases like Bone Collector or pictures of deer skulls against American flags or the graphic logo of the comic book vigilante The Punisher. The pastoral somehow got swapped out with the paramilitary while I wasn't paying attention, and I can't think of anything worse that could have happened to the average hunter.

Deer God and help me Jesus! I don't want to share any part of the woods or nature with this loser and he is an L7 loser. I don't care what decals you have in your tricked out pickup truck back window. I don't hunt to suit other's opinions about how it should be done. I hunt because I love it and if some yeahoo does something unethical it's not going to make me quit or look down on the rest of my fellow hunters. I'm glad this guy doesn't hunt anymore. He never had any business in the woods to begin with because he let's what others do govern his actions. If he were truly as "superior" as he thinks he is he would still be in the woods with a weapon and leading by example. Instead he's gonna take his football and go home. Good. Go, and don't come back loser. May we forget we ever heard your name!

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
I don't start many threads on here so I will end with saying hope you guys have a safe and enjoyable season no matter what your goals are, please respect laws and remember your actions effect us all.

May every minute afield be as rewarding and fulfilling as your best time in the woods.

XIronheadX

PF Trump Cam Operator !20/20
He obviously didn't fit in to the manhood description of southern culture. Easily led astray. Probably lived a fake life until he came out of the closet wearing rainbow colored camo at age 25. "Big burly blue collared men" LOL. Hanging out with a group of writers who "know what we are all about". I guess he can live out his fantasy in Lake Country.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
Plain and simple.
I don’t hunt because I want to.
I hunt because I have too !
It what I do. Even as a 3yo I tried my best to get involved in hunting. I may not have went but I watched the game get cleaned. Then I tagged a long. Then got to harvest. The whole time shooting to practice with my dad. I remember where I shot my 1st rabbit and the convo that went along with it.
A rabbit ran as we pulled up to a hog pen. I said there goes the rabbit. We got there. I said there’s the rabbit. My daddy said I don’t see it. I said I do. And I want to shoot it. He said you can shoot and if there is no rabbit there. Then you can’t shoot again. I said I understand.
I shot. The rabbit fell over from its cover. I ran and got my rabbit.
I was 4yo at that time. It was a single shot 22 open sights. The year was 1965 or 66.
I shot rabbits from that day on and skint them to be fried.

I am a hunter. I eat what I kill and clean it my self.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
My son and I joke with each other about our chances to get a deer, they are slim. Our camouflage is several patterns out of date, no 2 pieces match, we aren’t hauling $20k UTVS behind $70K trucks, our rifles don’t have graduated turrets and mil dot reticles and not a single decal on anything.

I'm on the verge of giving away all my camo and just hunt in blue jeans and a flannel shirt but that loser still will not be welcome around my campfire.