Wicked Edge

bullgator

Does anyone have any experience using the Wicked Edge products? I just ordered the WE130 with an extra stone and strop. I was taught to sharpen on a stone and years ago bought a Spyderco ceramic stix system. I wanted something that could go to the next level with the ability to control the edge angles. Just wondering if anyone has one with any advice before it gets here. Thanks.

bullgator

I got it and have been messing with it a bit. So far it has been pretty easy to get an incredible edge on a knife even if you’re reconfiguring the edge angles. If you want to take the time and get the strops, you can put a mirrored finish on it.

Gaswamp

Personally, I haven't used it but have read good things about it.

bullgator

Personally, I haven't used it but have read good things about it.
I’ve done about 10 knives now, mostly folders but a few fixed blades as well. Even with going through a learning phase, I was able to get them all super sharp. I even took a fairly high end folder that still had its factory edge and run it up to another level. This thing is pricey but I’m not having any buyers remorse.

DannyW

Does anyone have any experience using the Wicked Edge products? I just ordered the WE130 with an extra stone and strop. I was taught to sharpen on a stone and years ago bought a Spyderco ceramic stix system. I wanted something that could go to the next level with the ability to control the edge angles. Just wondering if anyone has one with any advice before it gets here. Thanks.

I've got one. Can't find the model number anywhere on the sharpener or box. Maybe the only one they made when I bought it 12-15 years ago? Just looked at the WE130 and they have made many changes/improvements, so I can't offer much advice.

Two things I will say. One, be careful to put your knife in the same spot of the vice every time. If you put it the vice with the blade higher or lower, even by a fraction, it will change the sharpener angle by a degree of two and you will have to set your edge angles again with the 100 grit pad. Hope that makes sense.

Two, don't get in a hurry! Go slow and at the end of the stroke resist the urge to apply more pressure. If you apply a lot of pressure, when the grit pad clears the knife tip your natural motion will send the pad of your thumb toward the knife tip. In the beginning I touched the tip several times but thankfully just hit the side, not the blade.

One other tip...get a leather strop. I have found that after I get the knife edge set, and properly sharpened, I can touch it up on the leather strop without having to use the WE again.

It's a lot of money and a lot of people will scoff. But it keeps my folders and kitchen knives sharp. It's the only way I can sharpen knives and I spent way more money than what I spent on the WE buying other devices that didn't work. I tried a bench sharpener, a WorkSharp, and every other thing I could find. I was helpless sharpening knives until the WE came along.

I hate those guys who can pick up a creek rock and get a razor edge in a couple of minutes. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

bullgator

I've got one. Can't find the model number anywhere on the sharpener or box. Maybe the only one they made when I bought it 12-15 years ago? Just looked at the WE130 and they have made many changes/improvements, so I can't offer much advice.

Two things I will say. One, be careful to put your knife in the same spot of the vice every time. If you put it the vice with the blade higher or lower, even by a fraction, it will change the sharpener angle by a degree of two and you will have to set your edge angles again with the 100 grit pad. Hope that makes sense.

Two, don't get in a hurry! Go slow and at the end of the stroke resist the urge to apply more pressure. If you apply a lot of pressure, when the grit pad clears the knife tip your natural motion will send the pad of your thumb toward the knife tip. In the beginning I touched the tip several times but thankfully just hit the side, not the blade.

One other tip...get a leather strop. I have found that after I get the knife edge set, and properly sharpened, I can touch it up on the leather strop without having to use the WE again.

It's a lot of money and a lot of people will scoff. But it keeps my folders and kitchen knives sharp. It's the only way I can sharpen knives and I spent way more money than what I spent on the WE buying other devices that didn't work. I tried a bench sharpener, a WorkSharp, and every other thing I could find. I was helpless sharpening knives until the WE came along.

I hate those guys who can pick up a creek rock and get a razor edge in a couple of minutes. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Thanks. I’ve done about a dozen knives so far. I got them crazy sharp even with getting in a hurry. After about 7-8 knives I finally started keeping a log of the settings. Yes, the strop works wonders and can even put a mirrored edge on them if you take the time.

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
Never heard of it. Will have to look it up.

bullgator

I’ve also found that edge angles can vary by several degrees from one side of the blade to the other, even on good knives like Spyderco and Benchmade.

godogs57

Make sure you're sitting down...they have doubled in price since I bought mine. But for me, it was worth it. I consider it to be a lifetime investment for sharp blades.
Can’t remember the specific model numbers but I got the entry level sharpener at $279 or so. Decided to upgrade to the $1200 professional model. Both have been outstanding investments in my little knifemaking venture.

DannyW

Can’t remember the specific model numbers but I got the entry level sharpener at $279 or so. Decided to upgrade to the $1200 professional model. Both have been outstanding investments in my little knifemaking venture.

Me too. I paid about $350 for my set. It has 100, 200, 400, 600, 800 and 1000 grit pads, plus the leather pads (which I have never used), and a base. Looked at the box again and found a date of 2010, so I have had it about 12 years.