870 Home defense modifications???

Hit-n-Miss

I have an old 2.75 chamber 870 Wingmaster that I'm gonna turn into my home defense gun. I have a 32" full choke barrel that I'm going to cut off just past a 2shot mag extension that I'm gonna put on it. What stock have any of you changed to? Thinking of either a Magpul or an ATI t3 pistol grip adjustable. any thoughts? What have ya'll done?

Gator89

I have an old 2.75 chamber 870 Wingmaster that I'm gonna turn into my home defense gun. I have a 32" full choke barrel that I'm going to cut off just past a 2shot mag extension that I'm gonna put on it. What stock have any of you changed to? Thinking of either a Magpul or an ATI t3 pistol grip adjustable. any thoughts? What have ya'll done?

I would buy an aftermarket barrel for a couple of hundred bucks and leave the stock as is.

Carlson's Remington 870 12ga. 18.5" Barrel, 3" Chamber, Rem Choke: MGW (midwestgunworks.com)

I had an 870 3.5 with an collapsible tactical stock, despised it. I sent the 3.5 inch 870 down the road.

I put a Carlson barrel on my 1980ish Wingmaster and left the wood furniture alone. Use stock the money to buy more ammo.

transfixer

I would not cut that barrel under any conditions,, a Wingmaster with that barrel is worth a pretty penny,, unless the gun is just in real bad shape, you can buy an aftermarket barrel, and if you just have to change the stock, there are plenty of synthetic take off stocks for sale on ebay,,

I have an express model 3 inch gun . i have a 28 inch remchoke an 18.5 inch remchoke and a 24 inch rifled slug gun . I’m sure you can find a short barrel for your gun. All those fancy stocks are not really functional. Keep the wood on the gun.

Hit-n-Miss

I would not cut that barrel under any conditions,, a Wingmaster with that barrel is worth a pretty penny,, unless the gun is just in real bad shape, you can buy an aftermarket barrel, and if you just have to change the stock, there are plenty of synthetic take off stocks for sale on ebay,,
I have a remington 26" improved cylinder vent ribbed barrel also. The full choke was on the gun when I bought it in the 80's, bought the vent rib at that time. The 32" is just a spare barrel that have not shot in 40 years. The gun is in great shape except the guy I bought it from had engraved (poorly) a 13-14 digit number on the receiver. So I imagine it has no real value anymore. I plan on saving the original wood and vent ribbed barrel from it. Also dont plan on messing with the blueing.

Gator89

I have a remington 26" improved cylinder vent ribbed barrel also. The full choke was on the gun when I bought it in the 80's, bought the vent rib at that time. The 32" is just a spare barrel that have not shot in 40 years. The gun is in great shape except the guy I bought it from had engraved (poorly) a 13-14 digit number on the receiver. So I imagine it has no real value anymore. I plan on saving the original wood and vent ribbed barrel from it. Also dont plan on messing with the blueing.

Speaking from experience, due to a bad rust spot on my 870's original barrel, I had it cut to 18.1. I still ended up buying a threaded barrel so I could install chokes.

Mars

Maybe my thinking is wrong but why would you want a choke in a defensive shotgun?

Seem like it the target is far enough away that the pellet spread is a concern, then you'd want a rifle.

transfixer

Maybe my thinking is wrong but why would you want a choke in a defensive shotgun?

Seem like it the target is far enough away that the pellet spread is a concern, then you'd want a rifle.

No need for a choke on one used for home defense in most cases, even a open choke barrel will not spread much at all in 20-25 feet, some will depend on what load you're using, some buckshot will spread out more than others, depending on whether or not it has some sort of buffer in between the pellets and the size of the pellets, my 18.5in barrel on my 870 is threaded for chokes, but I'm using a breaching choke which extends slightly, and I believe is improved cyl ?

Gator89

No need for a choke on one used for home defense in most cases, even a open choke barrel will not spread much at all in 20-25 feet, some will depend on what load you're using, some buckshot will spread out more than others, depending on whether or not it has some sort of buffer in between the pellets and the size of the pellets, my 18.5in barrel on my 870 is threaded for chokes, but I'm using a breaching choke which extends slightly, and I believe is improved cyl ?

If you are going to tacticool your pump gun, you must install a breacher choke!!!!

1644444856734.png
data%3A

Last edited:

Nimrod71

I wouldn't cut the barrel off, just buy another shorter barrel, you can find used ones. As for the stock, the pistol grip is O K but I wouldn't go with a collapsable stock, I would want a solid stock.

specialk

Ive got and old wingmaster from the 80s with a 30inch full choke bbl. and a 5 shot tube ext. giving me 10 rounds......i got no problem moving thru my house with it....its fine for defense....for me anyway...

rosewood

Or you shouldn't be shooting one.