A new journey

Todd Cook

As most of ya'll know, I like to make things. For a long time now I've had a goal to take a deer with all homemade gear. The past 2 seasons I've not had as much hunting time as I'm used to, but this year's been better. So this is the year.

I want to do this as primitive as I can, within reason. I've got some hurdles to figure out, like not knowing how to flintknap. I do have a forge for metalwork, so I may make some trade points. I've already made some of the gear, and some left to make. If ya'll don't mind, I thought I would record my journey on here.

What I need for this:
1. A selfbow
2: 4-6 good arrow shafts
3: Some turkey or goose feathers
4: 4-6 broadheads( whatever kind I can make)
5: A new bowstring
6: A quiver
7: A tab or glove
8: A new knife
9: Arm guard

Todd Cook

For the bow: I made this last year and really like it. Im not going to build another one for this because 1: this one really shoots good for me, 2: I've got plenty of other stuff to build.

Charlie Petrie gave me this osage stave last spring, from a tree he cut in 2012 I believe. I've made many bows in my life, but only a few that were special. You see, Osage is different from other woods. It rarely grows straight, and almost always has knots. It twists and turns and it tells you what kind of bow it wants to be. This one has many humps and dips in its back, so I named it Lumpy.

It's also special because Charlie gave me the stave, and Hatchett Dan showed me how to chase the back growth ring. Good fellows, both of them

Attachments

• 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    293.9 KB · Views: 597

longbowdave1

Very cool Todd! I'd like to donate some turkey feathers if you like. Pm me if your interested and if you want right or left wing. :cheers:

Jake Allen

Great goal Todd. I hope the kill happens in Schley.
I have quite a few good and seasoned river cane blanks we got from off Sweetwater creek. Also, for a lesson, Tomi is really good working down, and straightening river cane.

longbowdave1

Got your PM Todd. Just heading to the post office to mail the right wing feathers to you, enjoy. Hope they bring you much good luck :flag:

Todd Cook

The generosity of trad bowhunters never ceases to amaze me. You folks are amazing.

This is my bow. Osage, 64" long, 52 pounds at 29".

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    252.3 KB · Views: 503
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    256 KB · Views: 495

Todd Cook

I've been gathering a few pieces the last couple weeks. That's an 11/32 fir on the far left for reference. The next 3 are privet hedge. The rest are rivercane. I cut all of it beside the Etowah river.

Attachments

• 015.jpg
    015.jpg
    350 KB · Views: 501

SELFBOW

Arrows aren't tough to build. Some will fly better than others. I like em a little stiffer but my bows are center cut or past. Also if your gonna make trade points I'm guessing they are gonna be 100+ grains so you gotta plan for that w the cane you pick.

Todd Cook

I've also been making a few shafts from boards. I bought a piece of white pine and one of poplar. So far the results have been fantastic. I cut the board into square slats 3/8 by 36". The first shaft ended up about 11/32 and was too stiff. So I made 4 more a little thinner, slightly over 5/16. They fly like darts.

I took the slats and planed the corners to make a 8 sided slat. Then I put one end in the chuck of a drill. I ran it slow while I held sandpaper around it till it got fairly smooth. I like the poplar better; its heavier and I've already broke one of the pine.

When picking boards I tried to find the ones that the grain runs end to end . I looked through a lot of them to find 2. But so far so good.

I cut the nocks with 3 hacksaw blades taped together, and finished them with sandpaper.

Attachments

• 014.jpg
    014.jpg
    388.1 KB · Views: 485
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    286.7 KB · Views: 489
  • 013.jpg
    013.jpg
    237.7 KB · Views: 490

AnAvidArcher

For rivercane, I find its easiest to tie a bundle up and stick it in my attic for about 6-8 weeks. Every couple of days for the first two weeks go up and hand straighten them while still green and pliable. This makes it much easier later on when you wanna do it with heat. Also generally get a little bigger than you think you might need, it tends to lose some diameter as it dries, atleast in n experience.

Todd Cook

I've been out shooting my poplar arrow tonight. It shoots really good. I don't know but I would guess it at about 500-550 grains. The bow is 52# at my drawlength. I guess it shoots about like a 45 pound glass bow, as far as speed goes. Hits plenty hard enough I think. And without a doubt the quietest bow I own.

I'm doing something else also to go with this journey. I'm shooting this bow split finger. It's much quieter and I was afraid I might dry fire it with these loose self nocks. I learned to shoot split, and shot that way for years. I'm liking it so far.

AnAvidArcher

I cant figure out how to do images in a PM so here it is. 7 rivercane shafts already dried. All between 420-500 grains.

5 Points, so that leaves you 2 shafts to practice on or make some practice arrows with.
Also there's some hide glue and some sinew. Unfortunately its leg sinew so not as long as back sinew, but it'll still do the job. Going in the mail tomorrow!

20150420_210404.jpg
20150420_210438.jpg

Latest posts