A new journey

SELFBOW

I cant figure out how to do images in a PM so here it is. 7 rivercane shafts already dried. All between 420-500 grains.

5 Points, so that leaves you 2 shafts to practice on or make some practice arrows with.
Also there's some hide glue and some sinew. Unfortunately its leg sinew so not as long as back sinew, but it'll still do the job. Going in the mail tomorrow!

View attachment 832913
View attachment 832914

I sure wouldn't pass on gifts like this but I got the impression he was wanting to make everything. ::ke:

Vance Henry

Hi Todd. During your journey I will be offering you words of encouragement.

Pointpuller

Good luck on your journey and keep us updated. You are doing what my ultimate goal is. Im taking baby steps right now. Killed my first recurve deer this year. Hope to do what you are attempting in a couple more years. Im preparing.

TNGIRL

I'm proud for your quest Todd. If I can help in anyway just call me. The cane arras you get need to have the nodes as far apart as you can find them. Not always so lucky but sometimes you can be. They will shrink when they dry, so pick accordingly....if they shrink too much then Michelle should be getting some cool arras!!!:bounce: I like your nock, looks good and good you wrapped it, makes it hold stronger. The more you make of those, you'll be surprised to get them even tighter inside and a little rounder maybe using one of those little round files so your string stays just a bit better than not....but split finger is just fine!:clap: need to get busy and scrap something in your freezer for a cool quiver!!!. :hair: I think you will do wonderful with this. Thanks for bringing us along too....might encourage more of us trad/primitives to take the quest up also! :bounce: I think the supplies you are gifted with are great!!!! :bounce: They'll also help you choose and work your own, if you like the way they look or react the way you want. Later on you have supplies to make more and either use/or gift others with things.Those cane shafts that AAA shows looks real good! He did a great job with drying and working them already...straightening them from this point on is slam dunk! This is what I appreciate about my traditional family....they are a generous, giving folk, with their time, their knowledge, their supplies and their friendships! :cheers:

Todd Cook

I had a good afternoon in the shop today. The broadhead has always been something I hoped I could make but had never really tried. If Seth will teach me I may try to make a pointy rock, but this will work too.

I've always liked wide broadheads. I have a long draw length and usually shoot enough pounds to push them, but this is a little different. I figure with the lower poundage and slower speed I should look at it a little different.

I've got a few pieces of steel I got last year from SGTP. Wendal Poole had donated them as scrapers, and I've been using them for that. And then I thought they would make good broadheads. I think they are blades out of a commercial edger, but I'm not sure. Whatever they are, they're very hard steel and will take an edge. A file will cut them, but not easily.

I started by drawing out what I thought it should look like. Then I put it in a vise and cut it out with a die grinder.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    291 KB · Views: 282
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    400.4 KB · Views: 284

Todd Cook

I kind of cut it crooked, so I used a bench grinder and a file to true it up. I used the same tools to cut a single bevel on the edge.

Attachments

• 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    392.6 KB · Views: 277
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    464.3 KB · Views: 279

Todd Cook

I took the poplar shaft I've been shooting and sawed it right down the center, about an inch deep. I heated up some hot melt and glued it in place. I had to heat it a couple of times to get it spinning true, but it ended up good. I wrapped it with some fast flight string( I know, I know, but I don't have any sinew yet :) ) and glued over the top of it with superglue.

Attachments

• 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    324.7 KB · Views: 282
  • 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    393.1 KB · Views: 277

Todd Cook

And then the moment of truth..... I went out and shot it.... And grinned. It flies really good. I shot it into a blob target about 30 times and can't tell that it worked loose at all. I shot up to 23yards and was really happy with it. The head weighs 270 grains, and past 20 you can tell its got some arc to it, but this is a close range deal anyway.

Attachments

• 010.jpg
    010.jpg
    279.1 KB · Views: 275

Munkywrench

This is awesome Todd. I don't have much in the way of gifts to help you other than a some turkey feathers, but Ill gladly sit down with you (and Seth, since he is better than me) in Appling next month to break some rock. If I get the chance I plan to head south this summer when the water is low and I'll bring us back some flint river. may as well use some fairly local flint and it's easier to work than quartz :)
Good luck friend

Jake Allen

That is a good looking head Todd; nice work. You likly already know this, but if the steel is not hard enough to hold a good edge, you can re-harden it.

There is a pile of back sinew at SGTP we saved out of deer last year. If you want a piece, it is in the produce keeper in the bottom of the ice box. :bounce:
It is cleaned and ready to pull apart, chew on a little, and wrap a shaft.

Skunkhound

Looking good Todd. The simplicity of your set up has its own aesthetic that makes it beautiful without any bells and whistles.
Good luck on your journey, I see only good memories coming out of this.

Todd Cook

I came home this afternoon and found this package from Longbow Dave. Wow! What a nice bunch of fletching! Thank you so much. Them yankee turkeys must be 30 pounds! If I sink a arrow into deer this fall, it'll be wearing one of these.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    367.3 KB · Views: 233

Todd Cook

I took my quiver out of the freezer this afternoon. Well, I mean my soon to be hopefully quiver. I partially fleshed it before I froze it but have a lot of work to do on it.

Attachments

• 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    364.4 KB · Views: 230

Todd Cook

Then Ethan and I went for a long walk looking for more arrow material. 200 yards into the woods we jumped a good sized deer, and we thought that was a good sign. We practiced our squirrel stalking a little bit too. It's funny how close you can get to them this time of year when they're off limits.:bounce:

Finding shoots the right size and shape for arrows is tough. Or maybe I need to look somewhere else. We did find a few sourwood shoots that look promising. I also found some of these leafy ones . I've seen this stuff all my life but don't know what it is. Anybody know?

Attachments

• 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    450.1 KB · Views: 230
  • 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    375.6 KB · Views: 230
  • 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    171.5 KB · Views: 227

longbowdave1

I came home this afternoon and found this package from Longbow Dave. Wow! What a nice bunch of fletching! Thank you so much. Them yankee turkeys must be 30 pounds! If I sink a arrow into deer this fall, it'll be wearing one of these.

Glad to see the feathers made it there quickly, as well as safely. I have a few friends who are not into the traditional archery scene, but will always save the wings for me, and freeze them til I cant meet up with them. I hate to see them go to waste. These paticular feathers were harvested by my friend Greg, as well as the fan that I used on the tom decoy that I modifyed. Must of been some lucky turkey parts, cause my son shot a great looking Tom last week with the scatter gun using the Tom's fan. His pics are posted in the Turkey forum if you interested in the average size of the yankee birds.

I hope the fletchings bring you just as much luck, steering your new primative arrows into the boiler room of a Whitetail or a hog. Glad to send them your way! Good luck Todd.