Flintlock Squirrel Rifle

pacecars

I don’t know why as I have never owned or shot a flintlock but for some reason I want one for a squirrel gun. I was thinking .32 or .36 caliber but I could go .40 and it would be legal for deer in Florida. I will be carrying a .50 caliber Ruger Old Army with me so it should take care of deer so maybe the smaller calibers would be better. I don’t need a handmade $2000 plus gun but I don’t want some mass produced ugly gun either. What are some good ones to look for? I wouldn’t mind building one myself but it has been over 30 years since I built a Lyman Great Plains rifle

Hillbilly stalker

Traditions makes a cap buster in 32, call it a Crockett rifle. They been kinda hard to find.C75CB1DD-9F8A-4E78-B70A-3E6CBA3EC96D.png

SASS249

The Pedersoli rifles are pretty good looking and usually shoot well. Dixie gunworks has several in .32. They will run in the $1000.00 range, while a kit is around $ 700.00. There is really not much available in lower cost flintlocks, although sometimes you can get lucky searching online auctions. The muzzloading forum has a good classified adds section that you can often fine used ones for sale.

I think you might be happier with a .36 or .40 for a first time flintlock. Small caliber muzzleloaders can be a little finicky to find a good load for.
Most of my squirrel hunting is done with a .50 caliber southern mountain rifle, although I also use my .54 on occasion. A small caliber rifle can be fun, but I do not have one taday so I use what I have.
Good luck.

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
The Pedersoli rifles are pretty good looking and usually shoot well. Dixie gunworks has several in .32. They will run in the $1000.00 range, while a kit is around $ 700.00. There is really not much available in lower cost flintlocks, although sometimes you can get lucky searching online auctions. The muzzloading forum has a good classified adds section that you can often fine used ones for sale.

I think you might be happier with a .36 or .40 for a first time flintlock. Small caliber muzzleloaders can be a little finicky to find a good load for.
Most of my squirrel hunting is done with a .50 caliber southern mountain rifle, although I also use my .54 on occasion. A small caliber rifle can be fun, but I do not have one taday so I use what I have.
Good luck.
I’ve got a Kibler .45 SMR in the white ordered since April. Should be browning and staining September of October. This thing will be in the 6 1/2 lb range. Getting antsy

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
I love SMRs. The Kibler kits are outstanding.
I’ve got high expectations, close friend has a .32, we’ll be tree rat chasing this season. The .45 will be a double threat, squirrels and deer. I’ve hunted squirrels with a .54, you need to make head shots.

Darkhorse

I built a flintlock for turkey hunting 15 to 20 years ago. I use it for squirrels, turkeys and lots of practice.
As SASS249 said those smaller calibers can be fussy to find a good load for. Also on a cold morning those small projectiles can be hard to handle. I went with a .40 because we have a lot of hogs to deal with. And because I always wanted one. I take only head shots or rib shots.
I have no regrets, I love the little .40, mine is a tack driver and comfortable to shoot.
I think the Kibler kits are best for a first time shooter. They can be finished out in just a few weeks where mine took months.
Sitting fox muzzleloaders has a poorboy squirrel rifle either in kit or finished for a good price. I don't know much about Sitting fox but that rifle interests me.
http://www.sittingfoxmuzzleloaders.com/k-46/

Top-right-1024x768.jpg

TarponStalker

Squirrel hunting with a flintlock is a blast. My first was a .32 CVA squirrel rifle. Then I built a .32 long rifle from parts bought from Dixie Gun Works. I think my next build will be a .36 from Pecatonica River parts. I have a Kibler .54 cal. They are great kits especially for newer gun builders. Unfortunately I had an eye injury that prevents me from seeing the front sights on a 44-46 inch barrel.

pacecars

I have been looking at the Kibbler kits and I am impressed.

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
I have a Kibler SMR in 32 caliber. It’s my squirrel gun and plinking gun. I have a 54 Woodsrunner on order.
I would like to build a 40 caliber flintlock. Be good for squirrels and turkeys.
If using a gun I shoot hogs in the head.

pacecars

I didn’t realize that the regulations in Florida have changed. Now you can use anything from .30 caliber or more for deer

trad bow

In the Georgia regulations I notice the .30 caliber or above for turkey and big game

TarponStalker

I didn’t realize that the regulations in Florida have changed. Now you can use anything from .30 caliber or more for deer
I didn’t know about this change. I totally disagree with it. Yes, you can kill a deer with a lighter’d knot if you’re close enough and hit him in the right place but a .30 round ball doesn’t have what it takes to kill deer cleanly and quickly IMO.

pacecars

Yes it does seem a little idiotic. It has to be made up from someone who doesn’t know muzzle loaders

Last edited:

Anvil Head

Good luck.
Totally agree - it's not the caliber but the consistency in point of impact that's important. I quit using my Bedford in .32 cal because she's so fickle. My .45 MoniLynn is my go to workhorse for meat gathering.

Darkhorse

My deer rifles have all been .54 caliber and I'm well satisfied with it. In my opinion as far as round balls go the bigger the better.
However I hear of other states where a .40 is legal and they swear it's a deer killer. And my personal thoughts after taking several gobblers with a 40 is it just might be enough with proper shot placement.
So I just might take my 40 flinter a few times and try to take a doe (or buck) with it.
But 30 caliber??? I think a lot of deer are going to die and feed the coyotes.

trad bow

I prefer a 54 for big game. I have a 32 for squirrels. I’m planning on adding a Fowler one day soon for turkey and bird hunting.

Anvil Head

I made a .54 patched for cross stix competition way back in 75. She was a sweet and accurate shooter, but quite heavy for toting in the woods. I loaned to a good friend in Upstate Idaho to hunt elk and moose. Nothing that big down here in GA. He took many and always seemed to need it more than me so he kept it. He passed 20 years ago and the .54 kinda "disappeared". Yeah she could take anything with hair quite easily, just don't need one that beasty in GA. MoniLynn has taken more than a few hogs over 200#s with ease just with my dependable deer load. She carries light and fast. It's placement over diameter for me. But then.....I like to hear them breathing before I set her trigger. That's just the way I hunt.