Flintlock Squirrel Rifle

pacecars

I had said I wasn’t going to get one since I bought another Shiloh Sharps but I don’t think I can hold out. I really like the Kibbler SMR in .40 but I am waiting on a quote from Sitting Fox Rifles to compare

pacecars

I am trying to convince someone that is selling a .36 caliber Kibler Southern Mountain Rifle to ship it. He had originally said he didn’t want to ship it so we shall see

Hillbilly stalker

I haven't fooled with a flintlock before. Is the flint encased in the leather for a better grip and absorb some of the shock when it hits the frizzen ? I was watching a guy the other day on the tube, his rifle wouldn't fire. His flint looked awful dull and I noticed his was not wrapped with a piece of leather. I would imagine that would knock the edge off wouldn't it ?

That's a nice looking rifle you have there, Hope you get a brace of squirrels with it.(y)

Darkhorse

Yes, the flint is wrapped in a leather to both cushion the strike and give a better grip on the flint. A rifle will fire without a leather holding the flint but not with a dull edge on the flint.

Nice rifle there Pacecars. Too bad Jim won't make LH'd rifles or I might just get one for myself.

Darkhorse

I didn't really keep up with it at the time but I was thinking the m ove to legalizing the 30 and 40 calibers for deer had to do with a new rifle coming out that uses smokeless powder, and some here just wanted to be sure it could be used for hunting deer.
The thing that decided me on a 40 caliber was the very real chances of running up on a large hog down in the palmetto thickets.

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
I didn't really keep up with it at the time but I was thinking the m ove to legalizing the 30 and 40 calibers for deer had to do with a new rifle coming out that uses smokeless powder, and some here just wanted to be sure it could be used for hunting deer.
The thing that decided me on a 40 caliber was the very real chances of running up on a large hog down in the palmetto thickets.
I’ve got some 32/20s and 25/20s that I’d like to legally shoot squirrels with. You can legally deer hunt with them but not squirrels.

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
I was hoping to shoot some squirrels this fall but doesn’t look like I’ll be shooting anything. Dang shoulder.

pacecars

Sadly I sold it due to my wife’s medical condition

WaltL1

I prefer a 54 for big game. I have a 32 for squirrels. I’m planning on adding a Fowler one day soon for turkey and bird hunting.
Do you know anything about the Tennessee Valley Muzzleloading's Fowler?
Ive been drooling over this one but dont know much about their quality etc.

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
Their quality is fine. A waiting list is what I’ve heard though.

FFg

I bought an early Virginia from TVM probably 10 or 15 years ago. Their quality and reputation were excellent then.

pacecars

I’ve got some 32/20s and 25/20s that I’d like to legally shoot squirrels with. You can legally deer hunt with them but not squirrels.
I plan on using my S&W 16-4 .42 H&R Magnum on squirrels here in Florida since it is legal for squirrels and deer. On another note I am going to fit a .32-20 cylinder and a Model 48 .22 Mag cylinder rechambered to .327 Federal

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
I plan on using my S&W 16-4 .42 H&R Magnum on squirrels here in Florida since it is legal for squirrels and deer. On another note I am going to fit a .32-20 cylinder and a Model 48 .22 Mag cylinder rechambered to .327 Federal
I really like my .32 H&R revolvers. They have taken the place mostly of the .22 magnum. The 32 will do all that the 22 will do and more. I reload the 32, no shortage of ammo.

flconch53

They have been around for a long time. I used to buy parts for Jack Garner when he had it. I don't know who is running it now but the ones I have seen recently have looked good

Darkhorse

If anyone buys a kit or in the white gun from these folks make it understood in the firmest of terms that they are NOT to drill the touchhole. I know of a couple of cases where they did and the TH was off a considerable bit.
In my experience I will only drill mine after the barrel is pinned in place and the lock is inlet and drilled and tapped. Elsewhy you might find you made a boo boo that's hard to fix.