former theist turned atheist....

BANDERSNATCH

I've read where some of the atheists on here were once associated with mainstream churches or denominations before turning away. In my debating over the years I've found that, by and large, most who turn away were associated with the more ritual-based, ceremonial type churches, like Catholics. Rarely do I find atheists who were once 'saved'....with a relationship with Jesus....who have turned away, but I'm sure there are some on here that can relate.

Hebrews 6:4 4 For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted of the heavenly gift, and were made partakers of the Holy Ghost, 5 And have tasted the good word of God, and the powers of the world to come, 6 If they shall fall away....

Who on here can relate?

TheBishop

So catholics are not real christians and cant be saved?

BANDERSNATCH

sorry....ive got to run for the rest of the afternoon, but I'll catch back up tomorrow.

Yes, Catholics can be saved....if they have been born again....not just dunked or quoting some prayers.

see y'all tomorrow...

vowell462

I've read where some of the atheists on here were once associated with mainstream churches or denominations before turning away. In my debating over the years I've found that, by and large, most who turn away were associated with the more ritual-based, ceremonial type churches, like Catholics. Rarely do I find atheists who were once 'saved'....with a relationship with Jesus....who have turned away, but I'm sure there are some on here that can relate.

Hebrews 6:4 4 For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted of the heavenly gift, and were made partakers of the Holy Ghost, 5 And have tasted the good word of God, and the powers of the world to come, 6 If they shall fall away....

Who on here can relate?

ummm. You can add me to your lower numbered list! I onced believed I was saved ( baptist) but after doing some soul searching, questioning, and research ( not to mention using common logic) I found that I believe I was brainwashed and believe everyone that around me was too.
Now I wouldnt consider myself atheist, but more agnostic. I can completly say with honesty that us as humans do not "know" the answers. We all have speculation, religion, theories, but nobody knows. And I for one can live and embrace that without it bothering me. Why do I say that? Because I dont live in fear of what happens when I die, because I dont think there is a lake of fire to worry about and if there is, Im not so sure id want anything to do with a "creator" whom lets such pass.

Honestly, it just doesnt make sense, bottom line.

tween_the_banks

I was "saved" at the impressionable age of 13.
As I got older, nothing spectacular happened to turn me away.
Nothing "of the church" or church politics turned me away. Just common curiosity which is often times labeled as the devil.
From 4 to around the age of 16 I was a member of a small baptist church.
Since then I've learned one major thing about myself, I'm too indecisive to believe anything.

atlashunter

Who on here can relate?

I can

SneekEE

Bandersnatch your post dont compute... how can someone say they are giving there life to Christ for all eternity to serve Him as Lord and then not do what they said they were going to do, then make the claim they done it. That is if a person says they gave there life to Christ for eternity, then whats it dooing back in there hands? I may be wrong but seems like the bible says any man that is in Gods hands can not be removed from it. So either they were lieing or God was?

Four

No true Scotsman fallacy.

Anyone who is an atheist was never really a TRUE christian, eh?

BANDERSNATCH

ummm. You can add me to your lower numbered list! I onced believed I was saved ( baptist) but after doing some soul searching, questioning, and research ( not to mention using common logic) I found that I believe I was brainwashed and believe everyone that around me was too.
Now I wouldnt consider myself atheist, but more agnostic. I can completly say with honesty that us as humans do not "know" the answers. We all have speculation, religion, theories, but nobody knows. And I for one can live and embrace that without it bothering me. Why do I say that? Because I dont live in fear of what happens when I die, because I dont think there is a lake of fire to worry about and if there is, Im not so sure id want anything to do with a "creator" whom lets such pass.

Honestly, it just doesnt make sense, bottom line.

I appreciate the sincere answer. You are (and please take no offense to this...none intended) someone that, IMO, the bible would classify as 'impossible to save', since you at one time did believe Jesus to be God's son, but now do not. (reference the Hebrews scripture I posted)

I like your answers, Vowell. Little sarcasm ever! lol

BANDERSNATCH

Bandersnatch your post dont compute... how can someone say they are giving there life to Christ for all eternity to serve Him as Lord and then not do what they said they were going to do, then make the claim they done it. That is if a person says they gave there life to Christ for eternity, then whats it dooing back in there hands? I may be wrong but seems like the bible says any man that is in Gods hands can not be removed from it. So either they were lieing or God was?

I'm referring to apostasy. When someone choices to no longer believe. I know there are some Christians (mainly baptist Im sure) who believe that, once you confess Christ and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, they can never lose their salvation, even if they come to believe that Jesus blood was "an unholy thing". I am not one of them. I believe one can become an apostate.

Hebrews 10:29 - Of how much sorer punishment, suppose ye, shall he be thought worthy, who hath trodden under foot the Son of God, and hath counted the blood of the covenant, wherewith he was sanctified, an unholy thing, and hath done despite unto the Spirit of grace?

BANDERSNATCH

No true Scotsman fallacy.

Anyone who is an atheist was never really a TRUE christian, eh?

I don't believe that, myself, Four. I could have easily become and atheist after I was 'saved'. I was saved early, when I was like 14, but I could have let evolutionary theory or other atheists arguments influence me to the point where I no longer believed that Jesus was more than a man, like Vowell did.

IMO, a christian can become an atheist.

vowell462

I appreciate the sincere answer. You are (and please take no offense to this...none intended) someone that, IMO, the bible would classify as 'impossible to save', since you at one time did believe Jesus to be God's son, but now do not. (reference the Hebrews scripture I posted)

I like your answers, Vowell. Little sarcasm ever! lol

Sorry for the sarcasm. Nothing cruel intended. If the christian god is real, why do you suppose he made me " impossible to save"? In other words, if he is all willing and all knowing, why would he make a person with doubt? I guess this runs into the whole free will thing. Its just hard for me, thats all.

BANDERSNATCH

Sorry for the sarcasm. Nothing cruel intended. If the christian god is real, why do you suppose he made me " impossible to save"? In other words, if he is all willing and all knowing, why would he make a person with doubt? I guess this runs into the whole free will thing. Its just hard for me, thats all.

I didn't detect sarcasm, vowell, just mentioned that I almost never see it in your posts.

I think you misunderstood me. No one is impossible to save, but I don't believe that someone can be saved, then become an atheist (counting Jesus as just a normal person and that he died and rotted like normal people) and then become saved again. That's what the Hebrews scripture is talking about; those who once were saved (having been sanctified by Christ's blood) but no longer believe. Apostasy is what I was talking about. (again, some Christian denominations would argue that once you confess Christ, even if you're 5 years old, that you can not lose your salvation, even if you come to believe that Jesus was nothing special and NOT raised from the dead. I am not of that persuasion)

BANDERSNATCH

In other words, if he is all willing and all knowing, why would he make a person with doubt?

I believe most Christians (at least the ones I know; and men especially) relate more to 'Doubting Thomas'. I know I did. I came to Christ at an early age, but my heart could not hold on to something that my mind constantly contradicted. Without evidence for Jesus' resurrection -- like Thomas asked for -- I would probably have fell away, like you. Now, though, I consider myself a dead horse. lol When you've met Him, there's no going back.

atlashunter

When you convince yourself you've met someone who died 2000 years ago, there's no going back. Actually there is but it sure isn't easy. Hard to discover error when you've closed your mind off to the possibility of it which not coincidentally is exactly what religion encourages people to do.

BANDERSNATCH

Here's a question I'll leave with you guys (as they've just informed me that we get off 2 hrs early today!! :yeah:)

"IF" God exists, do you think He would have to physically appear before you to introduce Himself? Or, would God have to leave heaven to come to earth? (no Christmas pun intended; not saying He did; just asking a question lol) Could He possibly talk to you without standing beside you?

Jesus (as William Lane Craig argues in his debates) can IMMEDIATELY be experienced by the sincere seeker. I, and millions, have met Him as well.

I invite all of you to seek Him during this Christmas season.

Have a wonderful Christmas, guys. Looking forward to a great 2012 with y'all.

Bandy

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
Here's a question I'll leave with you guys (as they've just informed me that we get off 2 hrs early today!! :yeah:)

"IF" God exists, do you think He would have to physically appear before you to introduce Himself? Or, would God have to leave heaven to come to earth? (no Christmas pun intended; not saying He did; just asking a question lol) Could He possibly talk to you without standing beside you?

Jesus (as William Lane Craig argues in his debates) can IMMEDIATELY be experienced by the sincere seeker. I, and millions, have met Him as well.

Bandy

If Christians were the only ones to exclusively experience such interaction with their God then I would be more inclined to believe a little more. For every person that has interacted and experienced Jesus there is another person that has or claims to have the same deal with "their" God.

Physically appearing to someone would not be any great feat for a God if that meant gaining believers.

Four

I don't believe that, myself, Four. I could have easily become and atheist after I was 'saved'. I was saved early, when I was like 14, but I could have let evolutionary theory or other atheists arguments influence me to the point where I no longer believed that Jesus was more than a man, like Vowell did.

IMO, a christian can become an atheist.

the difference seems trivial. Your position is if your "saved" you cant turn atheist. But being "saved" is unscientific and subjective. I could think i was saved, just like you think your saved, and turn atheist, but your response would be "well you weren't really saved" and we cant prove it one way or the other.

Four

Bandy

Yes, you would have to have validation that you're not delusional, multiple witnesses of the same incident as well.

Plenty of people have claimed to see/here many gods, but they haven't. Just like you haven't. Just like the people that murder there children haven't.

It's just you in your head, nobody else.