Goliath grouper/jewfish?

GTMODawg

BANNED
Large Goliath grouper are usually full of worms.
Large ones of other grouper species often have the same problem.
It can be just a matter of catching it, cleaning it and decided how much of the wormy meat you can cut and toss out in order to salvage some. My understanding is that the big Goliaths aren't worth eating. Don't know about the little ones... But I wouldn't say it would be a slam dunk great piece of meat.
YMMV.

I bet the cheeks of a Goliath are good though....

Most fish have some parasitic worms....they may not be visible due to their size but they are there in most species. If you have eaten much fish chances are pretty good you have eaten the worms also. Cooking or freezing makes it safe but even when they are eaten raw the risk is minimal.

GTMODawg

BANNED
The goal of the fish and game commission should be the health of the reef ecosystem.
It makes no sense what they limit recreational anglers to When they can't keep but one fish very few days of the year, yet you can sit on structure any time of the year and feed the Goliath's, the sharks, and the porpoises 20 fish in a couple hours.
At times they will consume nearly every fish hooked. Either on the way up, or on the way back down.

Dolphins have gotten cocky about it. I don't know if their numbers are way up or they have just grown accustomed to more boats and those boats representing an easy meal but it used to be rare to have dolphin hanging around a small boat waiting to steal a fish, usually after being released instead of the way the tax man does it. It is now uncommon in a lot of Florida to stop a boat for long that at least one of the beggars aint hanging around looking for a hand out. I thought it was illegal to feed dolphins? If it ain't it ought to be. It also ought to be permissable to transport an undersized or oversized fish some distance from where it was boated if there are dolphin present because they are going to make short work of a out of slot fish almost every time if released at the boat when caught. I bet you'd have some 'splaining to do though if checked by the man with a couple of over size snook in the live well....

Ihunt

I bet 360 degree peanut oil kills all of the worms! ?

I have a buddy that now keeps a small propane cooker on his boat. He eats a lot of fresh fish.

GTMODawg

BANNED
I bet 360 degree peanut oil kills all of the worms! ?

I have a buddy that now keeps a small propane cooker on his boat. He eats a lot of fresh fish.

It'll absolutely kill all of them. I make it a ritual when bottom fishing the first fish over the gunwale is eaten on the spot. Nothing like a fresh mutton or such, a little wasabe, a cold beer and the sun just up on the water. Worms ain't gonna hurt you most likely. I eat a LOT of ceviche....lime juice and salt will kill me quicker than a few parasites once in a while.

I know an old boy with a big green egg on his charter boat....its part of the deal to cook something as soon as it comes over the transom and have it for lunch on the boat. He does a lot of business and ain't ever had to bury anyone....

notnksnemor

The Great and Powerful Oz
It'll absolutely kill all of them. I make it a ritual when bottom fishing the first fish over the gunwale is eaten on the spot. Nothing like a fresh mutton or such, a little wasabe, a cold beer and the sun just up on the water. Worms ain't gonna hurt you most likely. I eat a LOT of ceviche....lime juice and salt will kill me quicker than a few parasites once in a while.

I know an old boy with a big green egg on his charter boat....its part of the deal to cook something as soon as it comes over the transom and have it for lunch on the boat. He does a lot of business and ain't ever had to bury anyone....

You might want to include where you are fishing for clarification.
In Florida, fish must be landed whole.

Ihunt

Please explain the landed whole. What happens when a shark takes a bite? Can’t land the whole fish in that scenario.

GTMODawg

BANNED

I have been checked many times by the man in Florida and nary once has he thought to take a fecal sample....the carcass ain't catching a ride back to the hill, its going to be fed to the fishes. I wouldn't do it with anything that wasn't legal because that would just be wrong and I always count the fish toward any limit but if the man wants to know what I have eaten while on the boat he and I both are in for a pretty disgusting experience and he is going to be on the more disgusting side of it.....considering their salary and the fact that it is way to easy to write a heaping pile of tickets for other things in Florida I will take my chances....most of them ain't nearly interested enough to biologically get into what I have eaten that day....

GTMODawg

BANNED
Please explain the landed whole. What happens when a shark takes a bite? Can’t land the whole fish in that scenario.

I have always wondered about that also...are you supposed to release a half eaten fish that was legal until the tax man showed up but won't measure now? Its bad enough that there are so many snappers floating belly up because venting only works about 80% of the time when done perfectly and never when it isn't but now the man wants the tax man to be made whole when he comes collecting? I would bet they can and do write that one often....It ain't ever happened to me but knowing the Florida FWS it seems like it would be par for the course....they will definitely do so with a out of season fish no matter how obvious it is that the tax man collected his due....better dump that fish and let it decide to survive or not...like Jerry Clower and the coon jumping in amongst all them dawgs it is strictly left up to the coon....

notnksnemor

The Great and Powerful Oz
I have been checked many times by the man in Florida and nary once has he thought to take a fecal sample....the carcass ain't catching a ride back to the hill, its going to be fed to the fishes. I wouldn't do it with anything that wasn't legal because that would just be wrong and I always count the fish toward any limit but if the man wants to know what I have eaten while on the boat he and I both are in for a pretty disgusting experience and he is going to be on the more disgusting side of it.....considering their salary and the fact that it is way to easy to write a heaping pile of tickets for other things in Florida I will take my chances....most of them ain't nearly interested enough to biologically get into what I have eaten that day....

Just pointing out the regulations, not judging.

1647979625204.png

https://www.eregulations.com/florida/fishing/saltwater/snapper