Green Snakes

Redbow

I was wondering if any of you guys and gals have seen a Green Snake lately? I have not seen one here in eastern NC where we live in over 20 years of living here. The last one I saw was around my vegetable garden several decades ago when we lived in SC. I used to see them quite often when I was a boy and on into my teen years. Along the way in my life the sightings of Green Snakes have dropped like a rock. I have no idea why that species of Snake has declined so badly, kinda like the Cottontail Rabbit in many areas has. Green Snakes might be quite plentiful in some areas I really don't know. I always enjoyed seeing them.

Mars

I see a handful every year here in middle Ga and it may be coincidence but I seem to only see them in the same areas on my property.

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
I've been on my current property for 14 years, and I have seen ONE. You are correct @Redbow, now that I think about it. Used to see them all the time, along with glass lizards, and spreadin' adders...

Not as many "common reptiles" around as there used to be....

fireman32

"Useless Billy" Fire Chief.
Feral hogs are probably putting a dent in the population.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I have only seen a handful of them in my life. I've never seen one here where I live, I think it's too high an elevation for them. I see one now and then where I work. Saw one earlier this year ran over in the road. I think there are probably more of them around than it seems, but they mostly stay in the bushes and are well-camouflaged.

oldfella1962

I have no idea why that species of Snake has declined so badly said:
Speaking of cottontails, I have seen three (count em' three!) rabbits on Fort Gordon in many years of hunting & fishing & just plain driving/walking. I've seen hundreds of deer, fox, squirrel, geese, coyote, etc. but only three rabbits. :unsure:
I have more rabbits than that in my tract-home subdivision (heck maybe even my backyard) than that.

No shortage of wabbits near me, but the green snakes seemed to have disappeared. Wasn't that long ago my wife and I were discussing the numbers of non venomous snakes and lizards of every color we have around. Neither of us recall seeing a green snake around here in decades.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Two things that used to be very common where I live but are now practically extinct are toads and gray fence lizards. I haven't seen either in years. Ditto quail, and grouse are about as bad.

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
I have plenty here in middle Georgia but I live in the woods.

Duff

I remember the last one I saw when I was a kid. We were having a backyard cookout and it fell out of a big white oak and landed on my mom's shoulder:rofl::rofl:

I think i've only seen once since

Jeff C.

Chief Grass Master
I think it’s like Hillbilly said, those rascals blend in so good they are hard to see. I was pruning some shrubbery years ago for a customer and had some limbs growing odd within a one and had to stick my head deep up in the big shrub to prune the odd growth out. While I had my head and shoulders buried deep within that shrub a little green snake slid right up next to my face checking me out like, “what the heck was I doing in his little hide out?”.

I stayed buried up in there for a few minutes with it and was thinking he’s got his own little World in that big shrub.