Highgrading Buck Herds

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?
We did the same thing for years...with no real positive results. We shot the nice 2 year old 8's because they met the club criteria.....but we didnt really know what we were doing

Those rules are set so there is a "concrete" rule. Something we can put our eyes on and confirm. We should really be managing by age only (not antlers). The problem....the vast majority of us cant age a deer on the hoof when he his following a doe thru a food plot 10 minutes before shooting light ends. At least I cant.

I love these management threads and I apologize if any of my comments helped with the derailment
Same here. We just do the best we can but definetly keep if fun for all.
If a 2 yr old 8 pt comes out to eat foodplot or acorns under an oak I can watch him all evenin. When that same buck is chasin does I get all fired up and want it. I'll think it's a boone n crockett at that point

Long Cut

We did the same thing for years...with no real positive results. We shot the nice 2 year old 8's because they met the club criteria.....but we didnt really know what we were doing

Those rules are set so there is a "concrete" rule. Something we can put our eyes on and confirm. We should really be managing by age only (not antlers). The problem....the vast majority of us cant age a deer on the hoof when he his following a doe thru a food plot 10 minutes before shooting light ends. At least I cant.

I love these management threads and I apologize if any of my comments helped with the derailment

No your comment is very accurate and personally why I feel it’s been harder for a lot of clubs to implement compared to antler score. Antler score is a visible and measurable thing, whereas age is more of an educated guess until you pull the jawbone.

BUT nonetheless, we can all educate ourselves to make the best guess possible judging a deer by body size, neck size compared to the brisket, back sway and belly size can all be clues to look for. Obviously a running buck during the rut or a wore out buck after the rut can make things challenging.

I also think a big factor is a lot of guys look down on “cull bucks” or a buck that scores less antler wise than whatever the hunter has previously shot. OR if a hunter is focusing on say a 130” 3YO when a 6YO basket 4pt walks out, that 4pt is getting passed... Nobody wants to post a picture to Facebook or GON of a 60” 6YO buck, they want the hero pic with the “big one”.

Look at some of these trophy clubs or the Atlanta suburbs etc... Places where bucks can reach 4-6YO and really show 90-100% of their true antler potential. The genetics are here, the RIGHT deer just needs time.

Time will tell, but discussions like these definitely help steer us in a better direction over the years.

Last edited: