Huge property tax increase

slow motion

Nope. What will happen is grandma and grandpa will have to go down to the tax commissioner's office every two or three years and sign an affidavit they are still living in the house. That's what Chamblee is doing.
In these cases grandparents live in the basement.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
In these cases grandparents live in the basement.

It doesn't matter what part of the house they are living in if the deed is in their name.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member

slow motion

I surrender. Actually I have no first hand knowledge of whose name the property is in. Just drywalled a lot of basements and I know who will be down there when its finished. One of the county inspectors told me this was the case. Perhaps he is wrong or just doesn't like families from India. My Stepmom raised my nephew. Her and my Dad had him from about 6 months old. She never had children of her own so in that way it was a great blessing to her. After my Dad passed in 08 she continud until her death in 21. She had and desperately needed the school tax deduction. She was told if his parent resided there also she would lose it. I'd just hate for people who play by the rules to be hurt by the ones who don't. But as I said earlier. I surrender. Yall win. Have a nice day.

Redbow

And....the government seems to be setting up things for people to not "own"
larger pieces of land and single family homes. I believe that in time, we will be taxed out of our property, homes and gasoline vehicles too.
This has already happened in some communities especially in SC many years ago where people owned ocean front property. The value of the land went up so high the people who owned the property could not afford to pay the taxes on it. Therefore, they had no choice but sell their land to developers or anyone who had the money to buy it.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member

elfiii

Admin
Staff member

specialk

I realized many decades ago that a man owns nothing, like you said the county and the state owns everything. I always tell others that I rent my car, house, boat from the county. Come August we will get our property tax notice, I have no doubt that my taxes will increase quite a bit. Our homeowners insurance is due next month and it goes up every year to the tune of 3-4 hundred bucks.
i call it what it is.....EXTORTION.......i've even wrote it on the memo line on my check to the county tax commissioner.....

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
How long have property taxes been in existence in Georgia ?

trents99

For five years the folks diagonal from us paid $44 a year according to their tax bills. On the line items they only paid for the street light. Only exemption listed was LV1.

They moved last year and the new owners joined us in paying $3000 bills.

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
Let them game the system, I've been paying school taxes for almost 30yrs, and never had kids, my stepkids went to a public school all of two years before we yanked them out and home schooled them, and I'm still paying school taxes. There are a lot of people out there with zero kids that still have to pay school taxes,,,
There are a lot of people just like you.Have been paying property tax since 1984.No children.Were do I sign up for a rebate ??

ChanceHill

It's a bunch of southern republican white boys raising my property taxes 33% down here.
What grinds my gears is that they're raising the working man's property values taxes, and then giving billions in free land and tax exemptions to corporations that promise to come in and create jobs. A corporation comes in with a promise to create 160 jobs that pay 40K/year, and that corporation gets $100,000,000 in free land and tax "incentives." You do the math.
Meanwhile, those wealthy commissioners spout rhetoric about the very same people who are packing their onions and framing the houses in their developments. They have us complaining about the Mexican border, while they effectively give $100,000,000 of our tax dollars to a company based in South Korea.
Sorry for the rant, but it felt good just the same.