It's Jelly Time

crackerdave

Wild Muscadine Jelly is my favorite and it's time in my neck of the woods.
View attachment 1255018

It didn't take long at all to gather what I needed.
View attachment 1255019

Then the work started.
View attachment 1255021
View attachment 1255024
View attachment 1255022
View attachment 1255023
View attachment 1255020

Time for sure-gel and sugar.
View attachment 1255025

Gettin' close
View attachment 1255026

All I need now is a hot biscuit (pics soon).
View attachment 1255027
My favorite jelly!
Wild grapes can't be beat.Much more flavor than the domestic ones.

Last edited:

Stob

Useles Billy’s Uncle StepDaddy.
@WOODIE13 What do yall call these up there? Do you have them? I asked a guy up there last time that I was up and he was like, musky what?

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
@WOODIE13 What do yall call these up there? Do you have them? I asked a guy up there last time that I was up and he was like, musky what?
I started some from cuttings I got from a buddy in NC, about half grew leaves, put them in the garage once the leaves died in the fall, planted them in the spring, they grew leaves and didn't come back. They can't take the cold I was told.

We do have these, wild grapes and they are loaded. Tart until the first frost. Little bigger than a large pea, but grow in bunches

20230919_154217.jpg

WOODIE13

I tasted one, whew...still sour

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Wild Muscadine Jelly is my favorite and it's time in my neck of the woods.
View attachment 1255018

It didn't take long at all to gather what I needed.
View attachment 1255019

Then the work started.
View attachment 1255021
View attachment 1255024
View attachment 1255022
View attachment 1255023
View attachment 1255020

Time for sure-gel and sugar.
View attachment 1255025

Gettin' close
View attachment 1255026

All I need now is a hot biscuit (pics soon).
View attachment 1255027
:clap:

I looooooooooooove muscadine jelly. I can almost smell that cooking through your pics. I'm going to try to make some this weekend myself. They don't grow here in the mountains naturally, but they'll grow if you plant them. A -0 spell will knock them back pretty good, but they usually come back in a year or two.

Last edited:

WOODIE13

We used to sit with the old folks under the shade from a decades long muscadine arbor and wear them out. Some of them were 50X50 feet. Almost always next to a peanut or soybean field.

View attachment 1255199
We had a tame grape arbor, 10x100 ft, some awesome grapes. Right by a bunch of species of apple trees, summer to winter.

WOODIE13

:clap:

I looooooooooooove muscadine jelly. I'm going to try to make some this weekend myself. They don't grow here in the mountains naturally, but they'll grow if you plant them. A -0 spell will knock them back pretty good, but they usually come back in a year or two.
Maybe there's hope then. We covered them in straw in the fall

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Maybe there's hope then. We covered them in straw in the fall
There are some cultivars that are hardier than others. I tried transplanting some wild ones from my place in SC here, and they didn't survive -10. I have a couple I bought from Ison's that are kicking after several years.

WOODIE13

There are some cultivars that are hardier than others. I tried transplanting some wild ones from my place in SC here, and they didn't survive -10. I have a couple I bought from Ison's that are kicking after several years.
These came from @ Fayetteville NC. It was pretty cool scoring the bottom of the vine, soaking, then planting it and watching it leaf out.

Definitely need a heartier variety or some cuttings that stand up to cold and snow

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
These came from @ Fayetteville NC. It was pretty cool scoring the bottom of the vine, soaking, then planting it and watching it leaf out.

Definitely need a heartier variety or some cuttings that stand up to cold and snow
Fayetteville is deep south climate. The closest to me that I have seen wild muscadines growing is Polk Co, NC, in the southern edge of the Blue Ridge mountains. I bet those are hardier than the ones from the flatlands.

WOODIE13

Fayetteville is deep south.
These were the tan when ripe ones, said they were intermediate...

Hate to try to plant wild grapes in GA.

WOODIE13

But after the first frost, deer and grouse would seem to get drunk on them, wood ducks too.

Marinated from within

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Kris, you need to come fish Cataloochee and bring some jelly. :)

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I was referring to wild muscadines as compared to domestic muscadines.
I think the wild ones are the best, but there are a couple domestic strains you can't hardly tell apart from them. I think the ones that are bred to be bigger don't have as much flavor as the smaller ones the same size as the wild ones.

WOODIE13

I was referring to wild muscadines as compared to domestic muscadines.
Had both, don't grow naturally up here.

Now wild grapes, as you referred to, are all over here, thick.

Different terminology

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Had both, don't grow naturally up here.

Now wild grapes, as you referred to, are all over here, thick.

Different terminology
Do you have fox grapes up there, or just those peas-sized possum grapes? We have both, but you don't see the fox grapes as much as we used to.

Latest posts