It's Jelly Time

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
Do you have fox grapes up there, or just those peas-sized possum grapes? We have both, but you don't see the fox grapes as much as we used to.
We have both, fox grapes have fallen off here too.

This is a vine I have running down an old fence, started using it for starters.

20230919_184450.jpg

WOODIE13

We have fox grapes, summer, frost and sand grapes here in Pa.
Terminology from different locations have me at a loss.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member

Big7

The Oracle
Fruit stand up the road has some big- uns from close by here somewhere. They are good. 2.99 a pound right now and he has a bunch more on the vine.

I had a supply for many, many years then I made the mistake of loaning my buddy's son some big money. He was supposedly a good fried too so I don't go around there because I got a bad temper. :bounce:

At our first house when I was a kid we had a giant scuppernong vine, more like a bush and it would get loaded down. Daddy would make wine out of them and muscadines too. They were wild all over the farm he grew up on.

He wasn't a big drinker but he liked to give it away. He made it in milk churns in the cool crawlspace. It was clear as a bell and he would give me a thimble full once in a while.

Good ole' days we can't get back.

WOODIE13

Summer grapes are what we call possum grapes here.
These suckers are still bitter, usually rippen mid October. Maybe the same, maybe different, not sure.

Soil, sun, water and temperatures have a lot to do too

WOODIE13

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Good deal, you beat the hippies and the bears to em I guess :ROFLMAO:
For once. Seen a coon running across the parking lot the other morning when I pulled up. He had a purple nose. :)