Jesus hates religion

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
"their God was supposedly involved in ALL of this and that he supposedly chose who was to tell his tale because, well, I guess he just didn't want to do it himself". - Bullethead

There is a well referenced and argued explanation for that. God inspired and guided the writers of The Bible, but allowed their own personalities and emotions and flawed "humanness" to be expressed. Also, something about "free will" I think. This is not my explanation, I'm just saying that many Christians say this.
"Thou shalt have no other Gods before me"....but I'll leave my bio and legacy in the hands of mere mortals.
Does that sound God-like?

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
Also why is that "stone" in front of the door of the tomb always depicted as being perfectly round and smooth, so that it could be easily rolled out of the way by almost anybody? :unsure: I'm not saying that the tomb has to be Fort Knox or anything, but that stone barely functions as a deterrent to "keep honest people honest" if you ask me! I bet there was a long & sturdy plank semi-hidden in the bushes nearby for leverage too. :sneaky:

View attachment 1241700
It would have to be easy to move in order for the living to enter and exit, but why not a pile of smaller rocks?
Something that size above (thousands of pounds)would take quite a few men to not only roll it 15-20ft on totally flat ground, but keep it from tipping over and crushing them.
Guessing a nice large flat stone like that makes for a good back rest for napping guards.

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
Also why is that "stone" in front of the door of the tomb always depicted as being perfectly round and smooth, so that it could be easily rolled out of the way by almost anybody? :unsure: I'm not saying that the tomb has to be Fort Knox or anything, but that stone barely functions as a deterrent to "keep honest people honest" if you ask me! I bet there was a long & sturdy plank semi-hidden in the bushes nearby for leverage too. :sneaky:

View attachment 1241700
Not always. But people tend to go with the round stone. Just like the Jonah and the whale…….Bible says big fish.

IMG_0168.jpeg

Last edited:

oldfella1962

"Thou shalt have no other Gods before me"....but I'll leave my bio and legacy in the hands of mere mortals.
Does that sound God-like?
God was "outsourcing" long before it ever became popular? Only an omniscient deity would be that far ahead of the game. ;)

oldfella1962

It would have to be easy to move in order for the living to enter and exit, but why not a pile of smaller rocks?
Something that size above (thousands of pounds)would take quite a few men to not only roll it 15-20ft on totally flat ground, but keep it from tipping over and crushing them.
Guessing a nice large flat stone like that makes for a good back rest for napping guards.
Too bad MythBusters is off the air. Then again, if they did a segment on rolling away the Jesus stone, they would soon be off the air like it or not! :oops:

oldfella1962

Oh I see! I couldn't see how big that square hole was - not much there for perspective.

Logan77

Oh I see! I couldn't see how big that square hole was - not much there for perspective.
When I first read about the stone, just and only in the Bible,
and later may have read a few or more commentaries, nothing seemed, nor seems, wrong nor awkward even, being just simply truth about what happened, even if details may be few (they're not needed after all).
i.e. the perspective is clear and clean when the Creator is trusted and believed.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
and later may have read a few or more commentaries, nothing seemed, nor seems, wrong nor awkward even, being just simply truth about what happened, even if details may be few (they're not needed after all).
i.e. the perspective is clear and clean when the Creator is trusted and believed.
Sounds familiar

oldfella1962

In my opinion quite often the fewer the details the more believable (and more relatable to a wider variety of people) a story is. You get fewer possible contradictions, and the reader/listener can "fill in the blanks" with their imagination. But when you have four very contradictory accounts of the same event, you can pretty much expect accuracy is long gone. Granted everybody thinks they are telling the truth as best as they can recall the details, but the human memory is extremely subjective and flawed.

Danuwoa

Redneck Emperor
Holy crap, look over there. Somebody whose faith makes their life better.

Logan77

In my opinion quite often the fewer the details the more believable (and more relatable to a wider variety of people) a story is. You get fewer possible contradictions, and the reader/listener can "fill in the blanks" with their imagination. But when you have four very contradictory accounts of the same event, you can pretty much expect accuracy is long gone. Granted everybody thinks they are telling the truth as best as they can recall the details, but the human memory is extremely subjective and flawed.
I think you have no question nor point here..... what are you looking for , asking, or trying to say ?

oldfella1962

Nothing wrong with that. Plenty of religions in the world, ergo religion serves a purpose for many people. As long as none of these religions are mandatory or are "above the law" and their dogmas are kept of out the public-school curriculum, then people should have the right to believe what they want in the U.S.A.

oldfella1962

I think you have no question nor point here..... what are you looking for , asking, or trying to say ?
Just an observation that I just thought of: as a non-believer let me first say that I appreciate the Bible (both OT & NT) as an epic work of literature (I guess that's the word without sounding too hoity-toity). Anyway - back to my observation and it's just my opinion - all the details in the Bible (from all the different books) can be a double-edged sword. Many of the details seem unnecessary and trivial, but I realize that a lot of the details are important because they have symbolism or hidden meanings or whatever that made sense to the authors/readers at the time, but they lend the Bible to interpretation to the point of Christianity having thousands of different denominations worldwide, and hundreds of denominations here in the U.S.A. Also if one of the functions of the Bible is acting as the "authority" for Christianity, in the modern age of "critical thinking" (as a non-believer) all those many interpretations, and contradictions between not just the personal accounts of the main Gospel characters in the NT but the contradictions of God's behavior in the OT and the things he tells humans to do and how to behave, it is a big "red flag" for its credibility. Granted, if somebody already believes in it and accepts it as true, any questions about the Bible or problems with it can be overlooked. But as for convincing any non-believer to accept it as credible in the year 2023 CE is a very hard sell. I don't know if anybody else ever thought about it.

WaltL1

Does that suprise you?
Doesnt suprise any of us :huh:

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
Yep. If you go out the door, make a left down the hall and the elevators will be on the right. On floors 2,3 4 and 5 are forums filled with those people. We don't go there. Some come here though. Sometimes we meet in the cafeteria and talk about other things during lunch.

Danuwoa

Redneck Emperor
Yep. If you go out the door, make a left down the hall and the elevators will be on the right. On floors 2,3 4 and 5 are forums filled with those people. We don't go there. Some come here though. Sometimes we meet in the cafeteria and talk about other things during lunch.
1690292565595.gif

oldfella1962

So you got anything even remotely intelligent to contribute or just another example of your worthless nonsense? Its all you do over and over and over and over.....
:pop: Uh-oh!

Danuwoa

Redneck Emperor
So you got anything even remotely intelligent to contribute or just another example of your worthless nonsense? Its all you do over and over and over and over.....
1690294019394.gif

Latest posts