Military History Trivia

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
We’ll throw one in for Dutch. Which aircraft destroyed the most tanks in Desert Storm.

ryork

What pilot flew more missions than any pilot in WWII? Was credited with sinking a Japanese ship solely by strafing with machine guns. Had the pleasure of sitting next to or behind him at church most every Sunday for several years before he passed away in 2003. It was several years of knowing him before I learned his story and can remember sitting there in awe of this very humble and unassuming elderly man who had done so much more in his lifetime that most could ever hope to comprehend.

Resica

What pilot flew more missions than any pilot in WWII? Was credited with sinking a Japanese ship solely by strafing with machine guns. Had the pleasure of sitting next to or behind him at church most every Sunday for several years before he passed away in 2003. It was several years of knowing him before I learned his story and can remember sitting there in awe of this very humble and unassuming elderly man who had done so much more in his lifetime that most could ever hope to comprehend.
Navy or Army?

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
What bomb used in Desert Storm led to the development of the MOAB.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
What was it originally designed for.
My answer of Daisey cutter was off the top of my head. I looked it up after that and have an answer that I won’t use . I’ll allow someone to use personal knowledge to answer up.

Dutch

AMERICAN WARRIOR
What bomb (devolped) and used in Desert Storm was initially built from repurposed and modified 8-inch Howitzer barrels?

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
What bomb (devolped) and used in Desert Storm was initially built from repurposed and modified 8-inch Howitzer barrels?
Bunker buster for those deep underground targets

Dutch

AMERICAN WARRIOR
The M242 autocannon on the Bradley IFV and LAV-25 is what caliber?

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
Correct, but what was the designation?
Can’t remember but I do remember some of the news reports and film. I wouldn’t be happy to think one might visit me.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
BLU-82
To clear Helicopter LZ's in Vietnam
Yes, there was only a limited number of these available. As it was designed to clear multi canopy jungle using it in the open desert was devastating. It was like snapping a rug, the shock wave flipped vehicles and killed troops in trenches by the dozens. As the Blu-82s were expended the MOAB replacement was developed.

Phsych warfare was used concurrent with BLU-82s. Pamphlets were dropped telling the enemy troops the largest nonnuclear bomb in existence would be dropped on them the next night. When it happened even those outside the blast zone were demoralized.