New Rifle suggestions

stiles1682

I still like the 700 adl. Dont have to worry bout losing the mag or accidentally hitting the floor plate button and dumping your ammo. They $379 at Wally world with the cheap scope. Top it with a Vortex crossfire. I got several in different calibers. Sand it down, paint it custom! Make it yours, still all under $500. JMO. Happy Shooting!

4HAND

Cuffem & Stuffem Moderator
Staff member
I still like the 700 adl. Dont have to worry bout losing the mag or accidentally hitting the floor plate button and dumping your ammo. They $379 at Wally world with the cheap scope. Top it with a Vortex crossfire. I got several in different calibers. Sand it down, paint it custom! Make it yours, still all under $500. JMO. Happy Shooting!
Thanks. The rifle I looked at was synthetic. I wonder if they come in camo?

DeoVindice

Bottom line, my recommendation is the same, the best choice is the Weatherby Vanguard, for a lifetime Rifle, under $500.

Last summer Wally world was clearing out a bunch of inventory and their $700 Weatherby sport deluxe Vanguards were placed on clearance for $349. If memory serves me correctly the synthetic models were around $249. I could not give them my money fast enough for this deluxe sport in .270...I should have bought 3 of them!

Good luck finding one at this price ever again...

IMG_20190216_172008_kindlephoto-418878687.jpg

furtaker

Thanks. The rifle I looked at was synthetic. I wonder if they come in camo?
I know Bass Pro used to carry the ADL with a camo stock but I'm not sure if they still do. Those stocks are cheap but most synthetic stocks are on rifles <$600. Due to its vast popularity, the 700 has lots of aftermarket support as well so that's another plus. Upgrading the stock or trigger in the future (if you wanted to) is easy and there are plenty of options available. Good luck on your decision.

DeoVindice

I was surprised at the price. I know the 700 has been a reliable rifle for years.
It was a good feeling gun.
I also noticed it loads like my Savage, no detachable magazine.

My cousin has hunted with a 700 adl all of his life. He is a deer slayer too. They are excellent rifles and for $350-$400 I can't see how you can go wrong.

furtaker

Last summer Wally world was clearing out a bunch of inventory and their $700 Weatherby sport deluxe Vanguards were placed on clearance for $349. If memory serves me correctly the synthetic models were around $249. I could not give them my money fast enough for this deluxe sport in .270...I should have bought 3 of them!

View attachment 966337
I saw some marked down too but not nearly that cheap. The Vanguards are good rifles.

DeoVindice

I saw some marked down too but not nearly that cheap. The Vanguards are good rifles.

I was eye balling them when they were $700. I thought it was a fair price for such a well finished rifle, and especially for a Weatherby. I'm a sucker for wood and deep blue finishes anyway. When they put them on clearance it took only a day or two and they were sold out. I also noticed guys trying to flip them online in an effort to double their money. Lol...I am glad I got mine when I did.

ryanh487

Without a detachable mag, you have to unload by using the bolt to chamber and then eject the round. A floor plate or detachable mag is a much safer option with a lot less potential for a negligent discharge, especially with a young hunter.

Without a detachable mag, you have to unload by using the bolt to chamber and then eject the round. A floor plate or detachable mag is a much safer option with a lot less potential for a negligent discharge, especially with a young hunter.

While a det magazine and floorplate are quicker and easier, I've not seen a bolt rifle that requires you to fully chamber a round to eject it. With typical push feed (M700s, etc) you can simply "pop" the round off the follwer with very little forward movement.

Even with CRF, you can push the bolt forward until the round is halfway into the chamber and then pull smartly to the rear and it will eject.

Yes, I agree that fully clambering and ejecting all rounds from the magazine is not the safest method to unload a blind magazine. (y)

furtaker

No you don't. All you have to do is push the cartridge forward enough with the bolt to pop it out of the magazine. No need to chamber a round when unloading one.

lonewolf247

View attachment 966337

Yeah I would have been tempted to buy 3 at that price! That's an awesome deal, on a great rifle! I've picked up a couple synthetic ones for $250, but never found a wood grain on clearance around here. Nice find!

DeoVindice

Yeah I would have been tempted to buy 3 at that price! That's an awesome deal, on a great rifle! I've picked up a couple synthetic ones for $250, but never found a wood grain on clearance around here. Nice find!

Thanks! I really like it. The Vanguard is an all around well made rifle, made with quality parts and a great design. The synthetic models for $249 were the deal of a lifetime. I should have bought a few of those as well!

4HAND

Cuffem & Stuffem Moderator
Staff member
Well folks, I settled on the Savage 111 Trophy Hunter xp w/Nikon scope.
It is one good looking, sweet feeling rifle!

His birthday is Tue but we're gonna go ahead & give it to him in the morning. His mom will be on a business trip Tue.