The Bible

RegularJoe

Probably, this side of Heaven, the optimal agreement mix we are all going to maybe get is:
1. Apostles' Creed (estimated 150 AD, actual author((s)) unknown)
&/or
2. Nicene Creed (325AD - 1st Council of Nicaea; 381AD Amended - Council of Constantinople)?

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
When Christ came, he did not give us a Bible, he established a Church.
And what’s considered the ancient church does not believe that salvation comes the way the first church received it the entire chapter of Acts when the church was born.

He did not give us a Bible when He came - true. But later He did and ALL scripture is given for us for instruction, etc.. Further, He said the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, will come and He will teach you in all things.

Prophecy went forth - from the House of David, Jesus now sits on the throne in power and authority to cover your sins. The veil was broken, you can now come boldly to the throne and repent of your sins and call on the name of Jesus, the only Advocate.

He will give us Pastors. He will give that Pastor what the church needs. But He didn’t set Pastors up to wear the shoes of Jesus, He set them up for the church to follow as the Pastor follows Jesus.

Last edited:

brutally honest

I learned yesterday that not even all of the ancient church hold the same beliefs. Why?

Disagreement will always occur in any human endeavor. There is a question of degree, though. I can name three “ancient” churches: Roman Catholic, Orthodox, and Coptic.

OTOH, I can name the following Baptist groups alone: Southern, American, Independent, Free Will, Hard Shell, Missionary, Cooperative.

Disunity is Protestantism’s shame. (And I say that as a Protestant.)

brutally honest

I will say one can walk into any of the ancient faiths and quickly know what’s going on. Protestant faiths are very different church to church.

I would venture that many early Christians would not recognize much of modern worship as church.

An early Christian attends a modern mega- church worship service:

Early Christian: “That was a great show! Very entertaining! What do you call it?”

Modern Christian: “Church.”

Early Christian: :unsure: :oops: :cry:

tell sackett

Disagreement will always occur in any human endeavor. There is a question of degree, though. I can name three “ancient” churches: Roman Catholic, Orthodox, and Coptic.

OTOH, I can name the following Baptist groups alone: Southern, American, Independent, Free Will, Hard Shell, Missionary, Cooperative.

Disunity is Protestantism’s shame. (And I say that as a Protestant.)
RCC, Orthodox, Coptic
Sounds like disunity to me.
Just sayin’

tell sackett

If we want to get really really apostle specific...can we go here?

If we take this (do we take this?) as specifically to the very apostles:

Behold, the hour cometh, yea, is now come, that ye shall be scattered, every man to his own, and shall leave me alone: and yet I am not alone, because the Father is with me.

And it is "to the apostles" it is spoken that in His time of most severe trial all will abandon him, and you know this as truth in yourself..."each scattered" to their own home...in time of deepest trial...

hey...are you an apostle?

If you are, maybe you can help out someone like me who knows he has absolutely no faithfulness in himself that is of himself. What comforts the coward?
I am of Paul, who are you of Peter or Apollos?:wink:

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
RCC, Orthodox, Coptic
Just sayin’

Far from it, they are very alike. Geography and language being the principle differences that contributed to small variances.

brutally honest

RCC, Orthodox, Coptic
Just sayin’

“And certain men which came down from Judaea taught the brethren, and said, Except ye be circumcised after the manner of Moses, ye cannot be saved. When therefore Paul and Barnabas had no small dissension and disputation with them, they determined that Paul and Barnabas, and certain other of them, should go up to Jerusalem unto the apostles and elders about this question.”

— Acts 15:1-2

“And some days after Paul said unto Barnabas, Let us go again and visit our brethren in every city where we have preached the word of the LORD, and see how they do. And Barnabas determined to take with them John, whose surname was Mark. But Paul thought not good to take him with them, who departed from them from Pamphylia, and went not with them to the work. And the contention was so sharp between them, that they departed asunder one from the other: and so Barnabas took Mark, and sailed unto Cyprus;

— Acts 15:36-39

tell sackett

As of yet, no one, not a single person on here, has explained why the beliefs Christendom holds, outside the ancient Church, are so varied, if what you are claiming is true.

1Pe.1:20
Every Christian is not obligated to go to a “church” for secret knowledge.

tell sackett

“And certain men which came down from Judaea taught the brethren, and said, Except ye be circumcised after the manner of Moses, ye cannot be saved. When therefore Paul and Barnabas had no small dissension and disputation with them, they determined that Paul and Barnabas, and certain other of them, should go up to Jerusalem unto the apostles and elders about this question.”

— Acts 15:1-2

“And some days after Paul said unto Barnabas, Let us go again and visit our brethren in every city where we have preached the word of the LORD, and see how they do. And Barnabas determined to take with them John, whose surname was Mark. But Paul thought not good to take him with them, who departed from them from Pamphylia, and went not with them to the work. And the contention was so sharp between them, that they departed asunder one from the other: and so Barnabas took Mark, and sailed unto Cyprus;

— Acts 15:36-39
And?

Madman

And what’s considered the ancient church does not believe that salvation comes the way the first church received it the entire chapter of Acts when the church was born.
How so?

tell sackett

Apparently, they’re obligated to go to a boat on Lake Lanier.

:bounce:
… and there were disputes during the time of the apostles. So, it should not be a surprise that there are disputes after the apostles.

All the ancient councils came about because of questions regarding the faith.

(y)And as the Preacher said “There is no new thing under the sun.”

brutally honest

RCC, Orthodox, Coptic
Just sayin’

There is also a question of degree. Those were the three for the first 1500 years.

Do you know how many sprang up within 20 years of Martin Luther nailing his 95 theses to the church door?

Hint: it was more than three.

Madman

If we want to get really really apostle specific...can we go here?

If we take this (do we take this?) as specifically to the very apostles:

Behold, the hour cometh, yea, is now come, that ye shall be scattered, every man to his own, and shall leave me alone: and yet I am not alone, because the Father is with me.

And it is "to the apostles" it is spoken that in His time of most severe trial all will abandon him, and you know this as truth in yourself..."each scattered" to their own home...in time of deepest trial...

hey...are you an apostle?

If you are, maybe you can help out someone like me who knows he has absolutely no faithfulness in himself that is of himself. What comforts the coward?
You are trying to convey something here that I am missing. Please explain to this simpleton.