manpower shortage

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
GBI requires a 4 year degree
State has some real good jobs. I think they limit their selves in a lot of cases by requiring a certain degree of education and paying at a lower level.

But it does weed out some folks you don’t want or need to hire though!

D is not completely finished with school and still under 21 but he’s got his eyes on this again.

buckpasser

This is a great opportunity and starting salary. Much better than entry level positions with other state agencies.

Many years ago, I was a Ranger with the Georgia Forestry Commission. We were on call 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year. We didn't get paid overtime. When I left, in early 2003, the starting salary was $25,100. 15 years later, with the same expectations, the job pays only pays $27,000. Most of their employees now have less than 3 years experience.

I too was with GFC. Started as a 27k Ranger and left as a 38k Chief Ranger supervising 2 counties and 7 employees. Constantly trained new hires. They get a CDL which is required, and move on. Their agency is in disrepair and they could easily lose lives on wildfires due to the lack of experience.

DNR would be wise to drop their 60 hour college credit requirement. They miss out on people that would make better hires than they get. I heard of one new guy that was told by his supervisor to start checking the local deer camps for violations. After some thought by the young man, he asked “where do deer camp?”.

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
Just a thought if someone wants the job they can go get the required schooling.

buckpasser

I agree. It’s just a fact that they miss out on some good candidates with the current requirement. I’ve heard supervisors within DNR request it be changed.

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
DNR would be wise to drop their 60 hour college credit requirement.

I heard of one new guy that was told to start checking the local deer camps for violations. ..............he asked “where do deer camp?”.
Sort of validates their need to continue the college requirement doesn't it:rofl::rofl:

buckpasser

That was a college guy...

fountain

This is a great opportunity and starting salary. Much better than entry level positions with other state agencies.

Many years ago, I was a Ranger with the Georgia Forestry Commission. We were on call 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year. We didn't get paid overtime. When I left, in early 2003, the starting salary was $25,100. 15 years later, with the same expectations, the job pays only pays $27,000. Most of their employees now have less than 3 years experience.
Turnover is fairly high these days, your right. Salary seems to be the main reason when asked

JackSprat

If it wasn't for all the schooling i would have been interested. I could have stood maybe a extra year of school but no longer.

Associates degree from a tech school qualifies. 2 years. I think some subjects you can get the degree in one year of full time study. Most technical degrees these days require some sort of practicum,so it's not all books.

HM

It's not that simple for most folks, especially those who would be a real asset to that agency. There is NOTHING taught in a college course that would increase someones ability to do this job, these are police officers not biologists.

I had rather have someone with that many years in law enforcement experience than a college kid with a degree in 17th century French literature. But one qualifies to apply and the other does not.

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
It's not that simple for most folks, especially those who would be a real asset to that agency. There is NOTHING taught in a college course that would increase someones ability to do this job, these are police officers not biologists.

I had rather have someone with that many years in law enforcement experience than a college kid with a degree in 17th century French literature. But one qualifies to apply and the other does not.
Why is it not so simple?

I'm sure there are some people that don't have a high school diploma that would be good hires too.

And there's plenty to learn in a college course that will help a person excel at this job.

Last edited:

The mtn man

It don't pay enough, bottom line.

ryanh487

I'd be interested... i need a career change and I think i'd be good at it. but every time I've looked into it all the openings are in counties too close to the florida line. I have a 4 year degree but it's in business management, which also appears to be a strike against me with their requirements.

44magpastor

I too was with GFC. Started as a 27k Ranger and left as a 38k Chief Ranger supervising 2 counties and 7 employees. Constantly trained new hires. They get a CDL which is required, and move on. Their agency is in disrepair and they could easily lose lives on wildfires due to the lack of experience.

DNR would be wise to drop their 60 hour college credit requirement. They miss out on people that would make better hires than they get. I heard of one new guy that was told by his supervisor to start checking the local deer camps for violations. After some thought by the young man, he asked “where do deer camp?”.

I was there several years and would NOT put in for Chief Ranger job, though several positions came open around me...including my unit. I was asked, more than once, to put in, by the District office. But back then, you only got a 10% increase, by moving from Ranger to Chief. I was making $25,000. I wasn't about to accept all the extra responsibility for 2500 bucks a year, before taxes.

The mtn man

Look at the issue this way, there are lots of ways to earn $40k per year just going around haggling, I know people that do it, GW job could be stressful, with long hours. I think I would enjoy it, as would most everyone on this forum. $40k per year is not that great in 2018. That's less than $20per hour working a 40 hour week, we know most times GW will be working more that 40 hours per week. I think the salary should go up at least $10k per year, that would attract more quality folks to that job, I work to make money, no other reason, if you are a quality employee in 2018, the job market is in your field. As for me, my time here on earth is precious to me, if I give most of y life to an employer, I want to be compensated handsomely, if my employer is not willing to do that, I will move on, in my job there are openings, they are hard to fill because there just are no young go getters to fill them, we have opportunity to earn well over 6 figures if your dedicated enough, I of course am not that dedicated, its not worth it to me, I'm satisfied going home with a little less, but feel like I have been compensated fairly for my time and effort. As for a 2 year degree, these young men can take welding at a tech school and earn well over 6 figures, that's just one example.

BassMan31

Off topic here but..... There's a shortage in the construction industry where I work as well - it's everywhere. Heard it said best the other day --- Many in the up and coming generation do not understand that you have to work to get from a certain dollar amount to a higher dollar amount, or from your current position to the upper position. They feel offended when they're not immediately considered equal to their colleagues. We have some very intelligent individuals come through our company who just cannot understand how the Sr. Technician gets the perks that he gets, the SENIORITY. It's a real game changer and many skill type trades are suffering from it.

But to the OP, we should pay these folks more, especially those in leadership and serving roles!

I would agree but I've also been very blessed. Got my name on the door and everything ;) . Had to work hard to get there, though. Seniority is nothing compared to knowledge. They aren't necessarily mutually inclusive.

I would disagree with the idea of "we need to pay them more." They'll be paid what the market decides they're worth.

That being said, I had a couple GM stop me at a fishing hole. I understand that there should be more than one just to keep people honest but I've seen them rummaging around the same area for a month. Seems like they'd be of better use somewhere a little more heavily traveled. They can't be that short-handed.

gabowman

Once hunting over bait is no longer an issue then that will lighten their load by 1/2. Anybody sign up to get the email monthly from DNR? About all you read for reports during the deer season involves somebody caught hunting over bait.

Tmpr111

I would disagree with the idea of "we need to pay them more." They'll be paid what the market decides they're worth.

Yea... We’ll have to agree to Disagree here. Teachers and law enforcement (those who actually serve and don’t abuse their rights), should be paid much more, b/c that market is unfortunately one backwards model. But that’s just my opinion.

JackSprat

I would agree but I've also been very blessed. Got my name on the door and everything ;) . Had to work hard to get there, though. Seniority is nothing compared to knowledge. They aren't necessarily mutually inclusive.

That being said, I had a couple GM stop me at a fishing hole. I understand that there should be more than one just to keep people honest but I've seen them rummaging around the same area for a month. Seems like they'd be of better use somewhere a little more heavily traveled. They can't be that short-handed.

Until recently GW have been very restricted on the amount of gas they could use each month - still may be. They didn't have enough gas to patrol - they could only answer complaints. We actually bought a couple of tanks of gas for our GW so he could patrol some in our area.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
them new rangers ou of schooling look pretty sharp. They got know how to. There trucks now are equipped with the newest technologies!! U may get away but your not going to put run them long.

Latest posts