Do people really do this?

Hunter922

That's almost as much as I pay monthly for my house ( built in 2013) and my 2018 Z71 Allstar edition Chevy combined ( $1,150)... no way I would pay that for myself or my son.. he's fine with his 2000 sliverado Z71
I bought him..(y).

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
I’m 48 and have bought 2 trucks on my life not including my wife and kids cars

Just got my wife a 2019 RAV4 to replace a 2005 Camry we bought new ( paid off in 4 years IIRC)but I don’t think I’ll keep this one 15 years. Maybe 10

Last edited:

sinclair1

After driving a payed off beater for 10 years and paying cash for the new replacement in 2012. I don't know that I could do payments for me.

My wife's ride is another story and method. We buy high end cars with 80% down that usually trade in for 30-40k after 5 years of ownership.
Again, we don't smoke, drink go to Starbucks every day, so cars it is.

Get that house paid off and people will open so many cans of hateraide on you your head will spin:bounce:

sinclair1

Considering the new motor plan myself when it's time. Only have 92k on the clock now and doing about 10k a year with the closer job. Neighbor has the same Toyota with 250k on the clock.

zedex

Gator Bait
Ain't happening.

I measure a boat's worth by financial factor.

If bass sells for $10/lb., you would have to catch 1000 pounds of fish.... and eat them, before the first maintenance dollar is spent on the boat before the boat pays for itself.

That's a lot of fish.

A used boat in good condition pays for itself much quicker. But, as shown, some folks dont care about cost. Its about having the biggest, best, most expensive things. Its perception and prestige for them.

sinclair1

Ain't happening.

I measure a boat's worth by financial factor.

If bass sells for $10/lb., you would have to catch 1000 pounds of fish.... and eat them, before the first maintenance dollar is spent on the boat before the boat pays for itself.

That's a lot of fish.

A used boat in good condition pays for itself much quicker. But, as shown, some folks dont care about cost. Its about having the biggest, best, most expensive things. Its perception and prestige for them.
I bought a new Ranger but about a third of that. It wasn't that bad of purchase although I wouldn't Do it again. It sold for close to 50% after 12 years. I did keep it mint condition though...of course :rofl:

Less than 2k per year to own after sale. Equal to a quality lease or a bad vice.

Reactions: Dub

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
Ask who spends $900 a month on cigarettes and booze for 400 months and you will just get crickets :bounce::stir:
I buy a 6 pack about twice a year and either give half of them away or throw them away when they go bad

sinclair1

I buy a 6 pack about twice a year and either give half of them away or throw them away when they go bad
Cops in my day would just pull us over and take our 12 pack. You need to up your game. :rofl:I supplied Earl Lee's deputies with beer back in the day.

zedex

Gator Bait
I bought a new Ranger but about a third of that. It wasn't that bad of purchase although I wouldn't Do it again. It sold for close to 50% after 12 years. I did keep it mint condition though...of course :rofl:

Less than 2k per year to own after sale. Equal to a quality lease or a bad vice.
Upkeep is key, no doubt about it. The most I ever spent on a boat was $2000. The fish, shrimp, oysters and crabs that filled that boat the first month paid for the boat.
It was a Lund Alaskan, 15ft with a 40 horse Johnson. Being aluminum all I did was polish the aluminum to a shine and serviced the engine. Posted for sale for best offer and it sold within 6 hours. Got $4800 and a brand new, still in packaging $1400 kayak.

oops1

Buzzard Expert
I’m not at all a hater but when I see these guys pulling 100,000 dollar center console boats with 70,000 pickups.. I shake my head and tell myself I picked the wrong career path. And as far as catching enough snapper to cover the cost of those boats..at 2 fish per person and a 3 week season.. it would never happen.

sinclair1

I like trucks, cars and houses, but let me see a new Polaris side by side and I just dream of affording a 15k go cart I can't sleep in or drive to work.

It's all about what you justify. :flag: Some would rather have the smokes and beer, but drive a car with two donut tires.

zedex

Gator Bait
There us wise spending and not so wise spending.

My neighbors across the street are really nice folks. They moved in about 3 years ago.

They bought the house for 400K, slightly less than average for the area. It was trashed really bad. The yard was lined with very tall spruce trees spaced a couple feet apart... all the way around.

He drove an old 67 or 68 Chrysler, she had a vw golf.

Immediately after buying, in cash, the entire house was renovated top to bottom, those trees all hit the ground, the rootballs were dug up. New fence installed in the backyard.
All new furniture was brought in from a local dealer. New garage bought and filled with tool storage and tools.
The old Chrysler was sold and he came home with a brand new white F150. Her vw disappeared to be replaced by a brand new BMW car
Shortly after, a brand new mustang was in the garage. A new boat and new camper trailer ties up space in the backyard. A local motorcycle dealership delivered a new dual sport motorbike.

Within months, the f150 was replaced by a new one. Her BMW was replaced with a new one. The dual sport got company..... a new harley and two new off road motorbikes.

The red mustang was replaced with a new black model. The f150 and BMW were replaced with new ones recently. Her BMW car became a BMW SUV.

This case shows good spending and bad. The house, good spending. Same for everything except the constant replacements of vehicles.... camper and boat...... I'd spent less on lesser models as the are not life requirements...

I dont know where the money came from. He is a service manager at the local BMW dealership, she does housecleaning jobs....

Yes, they, too are younger..... maybe early 30s

zedex

Gator Bait
I like trucks, cars and houses, but let me see a new Polaris side by side and I just dream of affording a 15k go cart I can't sleep in or drive to work.

It's all about what you justify. :flag: Some would rather have the smokes and beer, but drive a car with two donut tires.
Hey there..... dont be picking on me man....:p

sinclair1

Hey there..... dont be picking on me man....:p
You rolling donut tires or a side by side :bounce: all the big leasees in Hancock run those jacked up side by sides up the road to the store. I can't justify one, but I sure would like to have one.

zedex

Gator Bait
You rolling donut tires or a side by side :bounce: all the big leasees in Hancock run those jacked up side by sides up the road to the store. I can't justify one, but I sure would like to have one.
Donuts, my man. Donuts. I gotta have my smokes and stuff. Ain't nuttin wrong with the tires. They still round.

I ain't got no side by side..... cant afford one. Smokes are overpriced so saving up money is hard... been thinking about making a loan at 19% for 7 years?

LTZ25

If you load out a new Ranger like the pro's do you will have well over $100.000.00 invested . I can't see doing that myself because I don't finance anything and would not
make my self write a $100,000. check for a boat .