Do ya'll remember....

mickbear

catching those big'ol bream at rock eagle and driving all the back home and dad making us stay up untill we had cleaned them all- but man, the next night when mom fried them and some sliced potatoes and a big glass of coke

Swede

Well darn. I guess I am not that young after all. Cause I surely remember those days. Very painful.

Yeah, did not know that was a sin when registering my oldest in kindergarten about 1996. I was shocked when they told me they no longer paddled unruly students. I went on to ask if there was a waiver I could sign to allow my son to get paddled if needed. You should have seen the looks I got from them:hair::crazy:

Keebs

Miss Moderator Ma Hen
Staff member
Yeah, did not know that was a sin when registering my oldest in kindergarten about 1996. I was shocked when they told me they no longer paddled unruly students. I went on to ask if there was a waiver I could sign to allow my son to get paddled if needed. You should have seen the looks I got from them:hair::crazy:

I know what you mean - - I was a para-professional AND a bus driver (rural gawga, ya'll, not metro) and I was lucky enough to have parents that MADE their kids do right (ok, most of the time) I've had parents pick their kids up after work at my house 'cause they were still sweeping & cleaning my bus for some infraction or other..............

belle&bows

clothes pinning Canasta cards to the forks and flapping on the spokes
High and tight over the ears with HOT shaving creme at the barber shop
Daddy driving all night to Fla and sleeping on the deck behind the back seat
Walking down the road and pickin and bustin maypops
Layin pennies on the RR tracks so the freight train could flatten em
Ridin the Nancy Hanks

Cool Thread, takes me back!!!

BoxerLuvr

how about when everything was a coke --sprite-dr pepper-orange-grape-didn't matter they were all cokes --"hay yall i'm going to get some cokes , what kind ya'll want?"

I remember when Cokes were a nickel. :hair:

Anyone remember the soft drink brand BIRLEYS (at least I think that's how it was spelled. ) They had a grapefruit drink that was really good. I know it sounds disgusting, but it was pretty god.

Lightninrod

Co-colas and Baby Ruths for 5 cents each
Pall Mall cigarettes(we don' need no stinkin' filters!)
Brown Mule chewing tobacco
Peach snuff
Caster oil(for anythin' that ails you)
Alligator wrestlin'
The Shadow(knows)
The Lone Ranger and Tonto(Hi Yo Silllllver!)
Rationing of butter(or its substitute which you added red coloring to), sugar, nylons, etc.
Wearing coveralls to elementary school
Slinkys
No fishing tackle just a hand-line, sinker, hook, and chicken guts for bait
Ice boxes
Milk in bottles delivered to your front door
Spam

and,..........

premium gasoline for 25 cents a gallon and no catalytic converters

T

tuffdawg

Did you all know that over-alls are AGAINST dress code at the school my son starts in two weeks???????????????? He has like ten pairs of those suckers.

Now I have to go and buy just jeans. Oh, and they have to wear collered shirts too.:banginghe:banginghe

I remember the days when there was no such thing as a dress code...................................

And when a pack of marlboro's were just $1.35

Thats about as far back as I go. :rofl:

SGADawg

Did anyone else use a pair of pliers to fold a bottle cap over the end of a dog fennel or gallberry to make an arrowhead? Shot the arrows out of bows made from green limbs/saplings strung with tobacco (cotton) twine.

Keebs

Miss Moderator Ma Hen
Staff member
Did you all know that over-alls are AGAINST dress code at the school my son starts in two weeks???????????????? He has like ten pairs of those suckers.

Now I have to go and buy just jeans. Oh, and they have to wear collered shirts too.:banginghe:banginghe

I remember the days when there was no such thing as a dress code...................................

oh lordy, what is this world comin to iffin a young'un can't wear his *overhalls* to school?!?!? I know we all have dress codes, but, come'on, overalls? what could be cuter, better, easier to deal with?!?!?
I remember when marlboro's were .50 here at home but on a Sr. trip to NewYawkCity, they were 1.75 & all the guys swore if they got that high at home they'd be quitin! :bounce:

Lightninrod

Just 25 cents a pack at my Daddy's fish/grocery store and his prices were 'high'. $2 per carton btw.

snuffy

Getting in the station wagon on Sat. night to go to the Drive-in with mom and dad.
Yea and I thought they were just being nice to my brother and I by letting us sit in the front seat when we got there.
I wern't very smart then either.

Swede

That's just un-American.

K80

Ridin in the back of pick-ups and crawling up on the area below the back window of a car and takin a nap while goin somewhere with the parents.

When shoes didn't have wheels in them and every kid didn't have some type of portable game in their hands 24/7.

T

tuffdawg

I remember that there was no such thing as a carseat when I was a child. I use to ride standing up behind the driver seat holding on to my grandad. That was when I wasnt laying in the back window. You sure cant do that anymore.

Jeff Phillips

Betting the price of a Coke, a nickle, on whose bottle had traveled the furthest:bounce:

The barber shop had a Coke machine that opened from the top and had these slides and rollers for getting a drink out.

Remember the grating/scratching/clanking sounds the bottles made when you pulled it out?

Jeff Phillips

Who on here wore gym shorts and Converse tennis shoes, with knee high white socks that had bright strips around the top?

Besides me:rofl: